Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

Tyrod is far better than any QB in this draft. The bills are always trying to save money. There is no way we waste a first round pick on a one year starter, that has not even played in a pro style offense. Cardelle is bigger and better than this kid. Bills need to get an experience back up QB, that can help both Tyrod and Cardelle. How about the back up QB from the Vikings Shaun Hill

Underrated post IMO. Taylor is better than any of the now and likely in the future. I am an advocate of taking a QB after the first round pick if there is one you like. I also would argue that it is an enormous gamble to take a one year starter in Round 1. Also, not sure he is better than Cardale either.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the sub-paragraphs in a standard army 5 paragraph operations order is dedicated to the "Deception Plan." Every tactical plan should include a deception plan. American soldiers always want the enemy to think we're doing something different than what we're really doing.

I imagine some - if not all - NFL teams routinely consider deception planning at this time of year. I don't mean as some ad hoc, haphazard thing. I mean actually planning the best way to send inaccurate messages to the rest of the NFL to encourage other teams to go after players we don't want and avoid players we do want.

This is, after all, a multi-billion dollar business and the draft has huge ramifications. Why would you leave the deception-planning stone unturned?

Yes, my surmise is more based on Pegula who seems a more straight-forward fella to me. I just don't think he would have showed up to enhance deception, though its possible.

Trubisky is my favorite QB in the class. If they want him in the 1st they'll have to trade up and you know what I wouldn't hate it if they really like him. He has good accuracy and makes mostly smart decisions, it's just his experience that's the question.

I think it's huge that Pegula was there.

1) Shows me this is a real investment for the franchise and everyone is going to be involved in finding the right guy.

2) I will say I'm confused a little by no mention of Whaley. Was he not there? Was he, but it was more interesting if you only mention MCD and Pegula being there?

Rodak tweeted that Whaley was there, just not in the photo. Some appear to think that Pegula could be taking part in an elaborate deception tactic. He doesn't seem like that kind of fella to me. I think they're interested.

Dr. Who, on 10 Apr 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Some appear to think that Pegula could be taking part in an elaborate deception tactic. He doesn't seem like that kind of fella to me.

Agreed. I don't think the owner of the football team is just playing along with a smokescreen setup. I think the Bills are legitimately interested in drafting one of the top 4 quarterbacks. We'll see in a couple weeks.

Agreed. I don't think the owner of the football team is just playing along with a smokescreen setup. I think the Bills are legitimately interested in drafting one of the top 4 quarterbacks. We'll see in a couple weeks.

i agree with that and think it will be in the first 2 rounds. I don't think it will be in the top 10.

i agree with that and think it will be in the first 2 rounds. I don't think it will be in the top 10.

If they want one of the top four, I think they will have to trade up from #44. If you think there is a franchise qb, I wouldn't mess around; take the guy at #10.

Edited by Dr. Who

I think it depends on who they want. If it's Watson or Trubisky, they may need to take him at 10. If it's Mahomes or Peterman, they may be hoping to trade down and select him later while recouping a pick or two. If they could manage to trade down, draft a QB, AND add a 2nd or 3rd round pick, that would really be ideal.

Engaged owners are more successful in business than absentee owners. This is so well known in business circles that it's cliche.

Terry may have tagged along just to see how the process works. Or because he has friends in the area. Or another business interest. Or some combination of innocuous reasons.

Or, as I suggested on another thread, maybe it's part of the Bills "deception plan." At this time of the year, you want to mislead the other 32 teams and as much as possible encourage them to pick players you don't want and not pick players you do want.

There is no indication Terry's pretending to know how to scout QBs or telling Whaley who to pick.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Cool.

It's a good sign that they're taking the QB position seriously, but this is a weak class. Bad timing. Just like the 2013 scenario.

However, EJ never had the opportunity to be developed properly in the NFL. Hopefully, Trubisky or whoever will be afforded a couple years to develop.

If they want one of the top four, I think they will have to trade up from #44. If you think there is a franchise qb, I wouldn't mess around; take the guy at #10.

i think it's a reach at 10, personally, for any of them. They could trade down and take one later in the first or wait to see who falls to them in the 2nd. Bill Polian didn't think any were worth a top 10 pick and CBS only has one as a solid 1st rounder (Mitchell)

I think it depends on who they want. If it's Watson or Trubisky, they may need to take him at 10. If it's Mahomes or Peterman, they may be hoping to trade down and select him later while recouping a pick or two. If they could manage to trade down, draft a QB, AND add a 2nd or 3rd round pick, that would really be ideal.

Uggh, not Peterman. Trade back is ideal, but greedy. If you risk it, how high are you on the fella in the first place?

So you know what the Bills need but the owner cannot? At the end of the day he is the owner and can direct his team accordingly. I have always wondered why people think football is different than business. I let my teams do their job but I am accountable. If i disagree, there is a discussion but i make the call.

Now before someone calls out the owner will be calling plays, that is obviously different than large decisions that impact the future of the team for a decade plus.

It doesn't change what I said. You hire people to make those decisions. They are more qualified to do the job. The CEO of an airline isn't more qualified to fly a plane than the pilot.

Sports are different from other businesses in that your assets are your liabilities.

Should, football. Does, owner.

I think that's fair Chan. That's why I bring it up.

I think with the Saints @ 11 and Cleveland @12 and both rumored to being in the market for a QB.

Now it looks like we are serious as well, maybe they would like to swap picks and we gain picks.

Remember it's all a game of chess!

being in the market for one and dropping a top 10-15 pick/passing on a potentially elite player rated higher in this draft at another position are two different things imo. Browns were in the market last year too and waited until the 3rd. I'm not sold that they will take one in the first this year if they are truly being ruled by analytics in their FO as they claim. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not to read too much into this :) but our director of communications came from Philly. Last year around this time a photo emerged of Carson Wentz out to dinner with Pederson and the owner Jeff Lurie when they went to visit. Eagles did nothing to hide this. Similar, in a way. Bills RTd that photo of McD and Pegs at UNC.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/03/31/photos-lurie-pederson-roseman-carson-wentz/

Never forget...

Lurie and Roseman were 'mutually obsessed' with getting Carson Wentz

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/lurie-and-roseman-were-mutually-obsessed-getting-carson-wentz

Edited by YoloinOhio

Underrated post IMO. Taylor is better than any of the now and likely in the future. I am an advocate of taking a QB after the first round pick if there is one you like. I also would argue that it is an enormous gamble to take a one year starter in Round 1. Also, not sure he is better than Cardale either.

He is not better. He is a RB who throws the ball.