good tequilas

Cugalabanza

I recently discovered that I really like sipping good tequila. Previously, I had done the obligatory cuervo shots and had some margaritas varying in quality from awful to great and had the occasional shot of chilled Patron Blanco or somesuch, but I never realized that I could like actually tasting tequila. It's becoming my favorite thing to drink. Lately, I've loved sipping these tequilas neat:

Herradura Añejo

Don Julio Añejo

Casamigos Añejo (This is the George Clooney tequila)

Espolòn Añejo

As you can see, so far I'm digging the añejos mostly. Ive always loved bourbon and añejo has that mellowed wood thing that I like. I may try working my way into the Reposados for more of the pure agave flavor.

Anybody else have a love of nice tequila? Or care to recommend a favorite brand?

Edited by Cugalabanza

I believe this is a shelf below your tequilas, but 1800 (Silver) is my go-to.

My perfect margarita consists of:

• 3 parts 1800
  • 2 parts Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
  • 2 parts Triple Sec (cheapest brand works fine)
  • with plenty of ice

• 3 parts 1800
  • with plenty of ice

That's a pretty good margarita. By avoiding the margarita mix in a bottle, it's automatically better than 95% of the margaritas available. If you upgrade that triple sec to Cointreau (or Grand Marnier) it becomes even better. But it's debatable whether it's worth the cost. I'd gladly drink a pitcherful of yours with Triple Sec.

Try sipping one of the tequilas I listed, either neat or with an ice cube or two. I think you'd be surprised how good it is. Especially if you happen to like good whiskey.

I recently discovered that I really like sipping good tequila. Previously, I had done the obligatory cuervo shots and had some margaritas varying in quality from awful to great and had the occasional shot of chilled Patron Blanco or somesuch, but I never realized that I could like actually tasting tequila. It's becoming my favorite thing to drink. Lately, I've loved sipping these tequilas neat:

Herradura Añejo

Don Julio Añejo

Espolòn Añejo

As you can see, so far I'm digging the añejos mostly. Ive always loved bourbon and añejo has that mellowed wood thing that I like. I may try working my way into the Reposados for more of the pure agave flavor.

Anybody else have a love of nice tequila? Or care to recommend a favorite brand?

Fortaleza is absolutely spectacular...great sipper

Casa Noble Anejo is excellent as well.

Herradura Añejo

Don Julio Añejo

Espolòn Añejo

Anejos are a bit hard in the mornings for me. Blanco & Reposado all day.

In your price range, try Corazon. Hussong is my favorite sipping, but it's not available everywhere (Premier Liquor carries it if you're in WNY)

Can't go wrong with Tres Generations, Centenario, etc. Second on the Fortaleza, but give Tequila Ocho a try too

Tequila prices have skyrocketed with the designer brands, but there's a lot of value to be had out there on a pedestrian budget.

Experiment with a favorite Sangrita recipe as the shot chaser, it's how it's drunk in Mexico City.

Once you're fully into the tequila, then expand your horizons to mezcal, sotol & raicilla. Much better sipping options

Edited by GG

• 3 parts 1800
  • with plenty of ice

Sounds similar to mine, but I like to add a splash of Grand Marnier in there

I'm trying to transition from beers to sipping liquor. Tequila might be my first choice. It's an easy way to shed some empty calories. 1800 on the rocks I suppose? Any other reasonably priced Tequilas that would be worth a taste?

Not sure how much you will shed but its worth a try! I thought Lendale White (old USC rb who played for the titans) lost a lot of weight by quitting drinking Tequila

As far as the OP, I love Margaritas and can do shots of Tequila but never tried just drinking it, what would you recommend trying first?

I'm trying to transition from beers to sipping liquor. Tequila might be my first choice. It's an easy way to shed some empty calories. 1800 on the rocks I suppose? Any other reasonably priced Tequilas that would be worth a taste?

The Espolòn Añejo. If you can find it, it's probably cheaper than the 1800. Around $28 I think. The others I mentioned are more than that, like $45 to $60. Tequila is on the expensive side these days due to some supply issues with the agave plants. But I think the Espolòn is really nice. I drink it neat. I tried it with ice too, but I like it better with nothin'.

Dickbe'H Tequila (100% agave, the one I really like may technically be mezcal) - smooth and delicious (and $$$$$). We buy it in Cozumel. They had talked about opening a store in Vegas years ago (which would mean US shipping), but I do not think it has happened yet.

• 3 parts 1800
  • with plenty of ice

I expect a margarita tailgate this year.

Many TBDAHOT ago, I would pour out little samples of Don Julio Blanco to attendees. A lot would refuse because of bad experiences from the cheap tequila effect. After a little sample of smooth Julio some would come back for more until I had to cut them off! Also be careful operating zippers under the influence of the Julio!

A good tequila and a big fan favorite back when money was tight. at that time you could get it for $1.99 a bottle limit 2 at the duty free store at any Mexican border stop. It is Gusano Rojo it's 100% agave. Comes with a sack of sea salt tied around they neck. And of course the worm. For the price which is now $19.99 I still think it is one of the best Mescals out there. Very unique taste and comes with high marks. The bottle design has changed. But the bag of sea salt is still there. I am sure it was gobbled up by some huge beverage merger. In this day of botique tequilla distillers and some very nice ones to boot. Some are mentioned in this thread but "El Rojo" still has a place in the liquor cabinet. Cuervo's 1800 has been around a long time but Guasano Rojo leaves it in the dust. It always has.

Paradiso is the finest tequila I have ever tried, and I have tried every tequila I come across. I have been a guest in the high rollers lounge a few times. We drink million dollar margaritas- Jose Cuervo Reserva and 150 year Grand Marnier. Tremendous. And as much as I love Patron Silver, Cabo Wabo, Don Julio,,,,,I still love Cuervo Gold!