Who is still mad we tanked the Jets game?

I think it was to find out if EJ could be a viable backup QB to re-sign here or release.

My comment was not that about me....it was that I would imagine the LEAGUE OFFICE does not want to see Teams doing that sort of thing. I am fully aware of why they did it. Although I believe it was a Front Office game of chicken with Tyrod, that almost back-fired when EJ stunk up the place.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a valid question if you believe the Bills started EJ in order to lose the game to improve their draft position. I don't think that way. IMO it was done simply as a business decision based on TT's contract situation and the fact that he was slightly injured.

I believe the Bills had a perfectly valid excuse: Taylor was injured. That said, I think Whaley wanted to lose that game. Rex, knowing he was gone either way, didn't want his Bills coaching record to go below .500.

That wouldn't bother me one bit. If he'd have blown his chance at a shot by not working hard enough well tough lines.

As for whether it would have meant the end of Tyrod.... would it have changed the market for him so significantly that he didn't feel staying with the Bills in 2017 on a renegotiated deal was his best possible situation? I doubt it. Might it have created so much ill will that he was desperate to get out any how any way? Possibly but I think it might actually have been easier for the Bills to go to him 3 games from the end and say "listen Tyrod we have fired Rex, a new coach is going to evaluate what we do going forward, you have been hurting all year almost with the groin, go and get it sorted we will IR you we are tanking the rest of this year." That couldn't have made him any more pissed than the shambles of week 17 that actually took place.

So you bench the clear cut best QB option when you are still in playoff contention?

After missing the playoffs for 16 years?

Really?

I think that's crazy talk.......but I think the new coach probably passes on Tyrod altogether without that Miami tape.

That tape illustrated what I've said about Tyrod since the beginning of 2015..........surround him with playmakers and he will put up points..........that was the closest he was all year to a healthy Watkins/Clay/Woods trio........even if Woods is less than ideal as a playmaker.

So you bench the clear cut best QB option when you are still in playoff contention?

Really?

I think that's crazy talk.......but I think the new coach probably passes on Tyrod altogether without that Miami tape.

That tape illustrated what I've said about Tyrod since the beginning of 2015..........surround him with playmakers and he will put up points..........that was the closest he was all year to a healthy Watkins/Clay/Woods trio........even if Woods is less than ideal as a playmaker.

To which Miami loss are you referring?

Miami's D was soft. They were in control from the opening whistle.

He had a great game (the last one), don't get me wrong. But don't you want a QB who doesn't need a top 5 defense AND a completely healthy O around him? Not many QBs enjoy that for more than a handful of games/year.

When I can count to two and be done counting the games in which Tyrod looked better than either "horrible" or "okay," (MIA/SEA) that tells me that the only consistency he has is being "horrible" or "okay."

The Bills need better and it's frankly a waste of time keeping him out there when we have an unknown in Cardale Jones.

Does anyone really think that this isn't Tyrod Taylor's last year as a starter in the NFL?

Let's just cut to the chase, already.

He had a great game (the last one), don't get me wrong. But don't you want a QB who doesn't need a top 5 defense AND a completely healthy O around him? Not many QBs enjoy that for more than a handful of games/year.

When I can count to two and be done counting the games in which Tyrod looked better than either "horrible" or "okay," (MIA/SEA) that tells me that the only consistency he has is being "horrible" or "okay."

The Bills need better and it's frankly a waste of time keeping him out there when we have an unknown in Cardale Jones.

Does anyone really think that this isn't Tyrod Taylor's last year as a starter in the NFL?

The dream dies hard, Gug. Tyrod will be a starter here or somewhere.

Really?

I didn't believe we were still in playoff contention. Maybe mathematically we were but the chances were around 2% of all the results going our way.

I don't agree that the Miami game made that much difference on Tyrod either. I don't think he was that much better against Miami than against Seattle, or than in 4 or 5 other starts. Tyrod has those games in his arsenal and if you could get that consistently out of him every week then you maybe wouldn't have needed to renegotiate his contract down. But you don't get that every week, playmakers or no playmakers. Too much inconsistency which would have been a critical consideration in respect of whether to keep him or not.

lol he looked and was fine playing Miami. It's the NFL. Everyone plays through injuries and such when they can, and TT was fine to play. Ryan wanted to win, which is what you do in a game that counts. Starting EJ was a slap in the face to the rest of the team, and they quit.

They didn't quit. If they had they wouldn't be on the roster.

They played poorly ... in a season during which they played poorly more often than not.

And yeah he could've maybe played but if he'd injured himself further - a legitimate possibility - they'd have been on the hook for the whole of his far too-high guarantee.

Anytime there's a conflict between long and short-term priorities, you should go with the long-term. There are a few exceptions, such as if you're a legitimate Super Bowl contender, but we weren't. There was no reason to damage our long-term interests when the short-term was meaningless.

Remember 2014 when we won our last game, the thrill when they took out Brady and played Garoppolo and we won to go 9-7? Remember the parades people threw and the wild celebrations? No, me either. It meant little or nothing, same as this Jets game. How about the 2012 finale, remember that terrific win? The Jets, to go 6-10? No, me either. Means nothing.

My dream has nothing to do with Tyrod Taylor .. it has to do with the Bills winning football games. More specifically, winning enough football games to make the playoffs.

I like Tyrod Taylor. I think he is a really, really good runner. I DESPERATELY want him to be better at the things QBs are supposed to be good at. I really do.

I will not be trashing him this season. I will be supporting him. I am buying a TT jersey, and everything.

I just wish the kid was better and I hope he can turn it around this upcoming year.

Stop it dude. Seriously.

You said he would double his salary elsewhere if we cut him. We whiffed on Romo and Glennon so then he took a 10 mil paycut to stay here.

Take the L, mister double salary. L to the O to the L

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It was good for the better draft pick & for one last cheap laugh at the EJ fanboys. As always, I would much rather have seen a win.

Yeah, as you know, I'm a long-time close follower of college football and the draft and honestly the difference between picking 10th and 15th isn't anything special........on the whole I doubt the bust rate or impact is one bit different.

Most overrated avenue for acquiring talent is round 1.

I didn't believe we were still in playoff contention. Maybe mathematically we were but the chances were around 2% of all the results going our way.

I don't agree that the Miami game made that much difference on Tyrod either. I don't think he was that much better against Miami than against Seattle, or than in 4 or 5 other starts. Tyrod has those games in his arsenal and if you could get that consistently out of him every week then you maybe wouldn't have needed to renegotiate his contract down. But you don't get that every week, playmakers or no playmakers. Too much inconsistency which would have been a critical consideration in respect of whether to keep him or not.

Well, Tyrod only had Watkins/Clay/Woods healthy in one game this year........so I guess he was 1 for 1.

Any sensible evaluator takes the Seattle game off the board......the Seahawks do not change their defensive gameplan for a specific QB.....which is why Tyrod found the going relatively easy in the league's toughest opposing venue.

In 2015 Tyrod was 3 for 3 producing with Watkins/Clay/Harvin together.

I'd say 4 of 4 is pretty consistent.

My contention all along is that Tyrod is reminiscent of Cunningham and Culpepper with the Vikes back when they had Moss/Carter/Reed........give him weapons and he will produce like an elite QB.

Unlike those guys......when utterly bereft of receiving talent.....like when Goodwin was his #1 WR this year..........he can play a very conservative, turn-over free style that can keep a team with a good defense/ST's in the game.

He's never going to be a guy who hits 7 different receivers and dissects defenses every week......but the Bills have been doing themselves a disservice by not stocking that #2 WR position.

:lol:

Of course it's not........he's more than likely back as the Bills starting QB in 2018......especially if they draft the QB with the highest upside, Mahomes, who is far from NFL ready.

Beyond that there are quite a few older QB's that will be calling it quits in the next few years so the likelihood is that Tyrod will be a starting QB in the NFL even beyond the next couple seasons in Buffalo.

Edited by #BADOL

Well, Tyrod only had Watkins/Clay/Woods healthy in one game this year........so I guess he was 1 for 1.

Any sensible evaluator takes the Seattle game off the board......the Seahawks do not change their defensive gameplan for a specific QB.....which is why Tyrod found the going relatively easy in the league's toughest opposing venue.

In 2015 Tyrod was 3 for 3 producing with Watkins/Clay/Harvin together.

I'd say 4 of 4 is pretty consistent.

My contention all along is that Tyrod is reminiscent of Cunningham and Culpepper with the Vikes back when they had Moss/Carter/Reed........give him weapons and he will produce like an elite QB.

Unlike those guys......when utterly bereft of receiving talent.....like when Goodwin was his #1 WR this year..........he can play a very conservative, turn-over free style that can keep a team with a good defense/ST's in the game.

He's never going to be a guy who hits 7 different receivers and dissects defenses every week......but the Bills have been doing themselves a disservice by not stocking that #2 WR position.

:lol:

Of course it's not........he's more than likely back as the Bills starting QB in 2018......especially if they draft the QB with the highest upside, Mahomes, who is far from NFL ready.

Beyond that there are quite a few older QB's that will be calling it quits in the next few years so the likelihood is that Tyrod will be a starting QB in the NFL even beyond the next couple seasons in Buffalo.

He will be on the bench by week 12. Rex won't be there to save him this year.

He will be on the bench by week 12. Rex won't be there to save him this year.

Or...OR..we get him some decent WR help, via Davis/Ross/Williams in the draft, we keep the offense together, and he does fine.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast