McDermott says WR2 is already on the roster

I doubt McDermott goes (EDIT: offense) given the secondary issues.

In the age of fantasy football WR's and TE's are nice, but a HC from the defensive side of the ball isn't going (EDIT: offense) with his first draft. This is especially the case with Buffalo's defense was so poor last year because McD knows it wasn't just the scheme.

Edited by BillsVet

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. Looks like another year of relying too much on Sammy's health.

If Corey Davis is there and we don't take him, then that will end the BPA debate-we are a team that drafts for need- the only sure way to screw up a franchise.

Corey is is going to be a special nfl player. The next A.J. or Julio. Two guys that get their teams to the playoffs almost every year.

If Corey Davis is there and we don't take him, then that will end the BPA debate-we are a team that drafts for need- the only sure way to screw up a franchise.

Corey is is going to be a special nfl player. The next A.J. or Julio. Two guys that get their teams to the playoffs almost every year.

I doubt McDermott goes defense given the secondary issues.

In the age of fantasy football WR's and TE's are nice, but a HC from the defensive side of the ball isn't going that route with his first draft. This is especially the case with Buffalo's defense was so poor last year. McD knows it wasn't just the scheme.

????

I couldn't agree more. If Corey Davis is there and we go in a different direction, it will be a huge mistake. Sammy is never guaranteed to be healthy. Holmes on a good day is a #4. Let's not kid ourselves. If this new coaching staff is committed to expanding the passing game and really seeing where we can go with Tyrod, then they have to get a legit #2. Davis would fit that role perfectly.

Murph thinks he is referring to Charles Clay and WR2 in terms of # of targets

Probably. Here are the Wideouts on the roster as of now:

Philly Brown

Jeremy Butler

Andre Holmes

Dezmin Lewis

Kolby Listenbee

Walter Powell

Brandon Tate

Corey Washington

Sammy

I doubt McDermott goes defense given the secondary issues.

In the age of fantasy football WR's and TE's are nice, but a HC from the defensive side of the ball isn't going that route with his first draft. This is especially the case with Buffalo's defense was so poor last year. McD knows it wasn't just the scheme.

????

It's gotta be a typo.

Edited by Nanker

To me this means either

1) They really do envision having the talent on the current roster.

2) They don't want to tip their hand.

3) My most likely scenario, they let the draft come to them and if the board falls where WR is BPA that it doesn't matter what round they will look for one. Most likely to compete for the job.

I fore one think we absolutely need more talent at WR and Tight End behind Clay. I would be more than inclined to draft either early. Well, not TE in the first, but, this class has a lot of depth at the position. Would love Leggett from Clemson on day three.

I couldn't agree more. If Corey Davis is there and we go in a different direction, it will be a huge mistake. Sammy is never guaranteed to be healthy. Holmes on a good day is a #4. Let's not kid ourselves. If this new coaching staff is committed to expanding the passing game and really seeing where we can go with Tyrod, then they have to get a legit #2. Davis would fit that role perfectly.

Corey Davis is not guaranteed to be good either. Small school straight to NFL ain't gonna be easy.

We need secondary help bad.

BS!!!!

Watkins loses time Holmes is our #1? Can't be. Holmes then tweaks something then Philly is our #1?

If not WR at 10, Bills will I guarantee they pick a WR in round 2.

WR and CB are by far the deepest positions in the draft. Haason Reddick rd 1

While I agree I wouldn't count on it.

Corner or Safety will be the pick, IMO.

McDermott believes in using later picks on secondary (see Josh Norman), not to say he wont ever, but in a deep class at db I feel like we should wait to grab them later and use the pick on another position that can be addressed like LB, QB, WR, TE

Edited by Bray Wyatt

+1, the only red flag is the injury history

OJ could also be a viable #2

I hope he's lying. We obviously need help at CB but the only worth the 10th pick probably won't make it to the 10th pick. I really hope we don't go out and overdraft a CB because that's what McDermott wants. Lattimore is the only CB that would be worth the pick, IMO. I sincerely hope we take either of the two WRs or Howard.

The Bills don't draft to the BPA approach under Whaley(outside of 2015 draft when they were relatively need free).

If the best player available is a WR but there are also some solid corners on the board, I have no doubt they'll go corner.

To address the second half, there are few WRS that I would put above DBs in this class. There is so much talent at DB I think it will be more rare that the WR would be the BPA.

You are suggesting that a coach would favor a QB because they both played in the same state. What kind of response were you expecting? They do have TV and see college games from all over the country in NC. Ask Boyst. Even he has one. ;)

Yeah, it sits right beside his still!

"Bills coach Sean McDermott says he believes his No. 2 receiver behind Sammy Watkins is already on the roster. That would presumably tamper talk that Bills will find their starting wideout with the No. 10 pick next month. Andre Holmes probably leads the pack of competition alongside Watkins."

Two options here, either McDermott is a habitual liar and this is a smokescreen or he is an incompetent fool. Either way he has already lost any possibility of me having any faith in him being a decent HC.

Why?

Lying season? Or truth?

@mikerodak

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0638388264230722460-4

I think they probably implied to Holmes that he would in all likelihood be the #2 WR so McDermott probably feels like he's gotta' say he thinks the #2 is on the roster to not seem disingenuous to Holmes.

Players want coaches who they feel that they "know where they stand with".

That aside.......I don't see a lot of options for immediate help at THE KIND of #2 WR in this draft that they need to maximize Tyrod's skill.........hoping for Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant.......ready-to-go ideal 1A's to complement Sammy.