Kouandjio to LT experiment.

With the Bills strapped for cap space (i.e. they're having a tough time signing a vet FA RT) and with only six draft picks (R1,R2,R3,R5,R5,R6) it may be wise for this new coaching staff to seriously consider placing Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT rather than going with the more conventional Glenn at LT and Mills at RT.

Mills was a turnstile at RT last year, arguably the worst RT in the league. That needs to be improved upon.

I know that Glenn is being paid like a LT, and therein lies the rub for the Bills' front office. But the bottom line is that the Bills should be putting the best players on the field if they hope to win more games.

Because of Kouandjio's prior knee injury, he doesn't play RT very well. However, he does seem to play LT very well.

Possible scenarios:

Glenn - LT/Mills - RT

Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT

Glenn - LT/Ducasse - RT

Glenn - LT/Groy - RT

There are a lot of possibilities but I think that the Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT experiment is at least worth exploring because it may prove to be the most successful.

Your thoughts.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would glenn agree to that?

He's still being paid the same amount, why wouldn't he? Especially if it will help the team and improve our offensive performance.

He has been in the league for years now, every other team knows he can play LT at a high level, so if/when he comes up for contract and hits Free Agency, I don't think he has anything to worry about with other suitors considering him a RT only.

Last point - RTs steadily have been making more and more money every year and are slowly closing the gap between LT and RT pay. In a pass happy league, you need elite players on both ends of the line, not just the blind side.

Edited by ProbablyWrong

The very first time I saw the comment that kJoe could play left tackle better than right tackle because of his knee I thought it would be a great idea to put Glenn on the right side. There really is no reason not to do it other than emotional and like others have said as long as Glen is getting paid the same as a right tackle then he probably wouldn't be against it

The team announced that backup offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio suffered a non-football injury to his hip after falling at his home. The 6-foot-7, 322-pound, 23-year-old underwent successful surgery and is expected to be ready for training camp, the Bills said in the press release.

Entering the final year of his rookie deal, missing all offseason workouts prior to Training Camp hurts Kouandjio's chances of earning playing time and could eventually hasten the end of the offensive tackle's career in Buffalo

Edited by ALF

why would glenn agree to that?

I am not sure I support this idea but if they team decided that made the most sense he doesn't have to like it, it is not really his decision. All the players should be willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win more games.

There were plenty of times Glenn lined up on the right, on a heavy set, I am pretty sure he did not protest this move. I firmly believe would be the best RT in the NFL if he were to line up there, I re-watched some of the Browns game yesterday (I was bored and needed a pick me up) Kouandjio more than held his own, he physically looks like what you want a LT to look like, he looks a lot more athletic than his Combine numbers would indicate too. If we do this and he struggles, we have an answer...move Glenn back and start Mills at RT, but I think if we have the Kouandjio we had last year for those few games, we will have a great year.

Because he reads TBD. He knows this is the home of rational, logic driven thought for how to make this team a winner - now.

Do you seriously not understand why Glenn would be more than willing to move to RT?

It's been covered her ad nauseum.

He's being paid like a LT, and is one year into a LT contract. Moving to RT for a single season (in an effort to get the 2 best OTs on the field) does not in any way diminish his compensation or his future value.

If you can read the above two sentences and NOT understand why the team would ask him to move, and why he should be more than willing, well, I'm not certain that the concept of strengthening a unit on the field will ever make sense to you.

Maybe they've already evaluated that option and decided that the combination go CK at LT and Glenn at RT is not better, or maybe even a weaker combination overall than Glenn and Mills staying where they are and continue to create more competition and upgrade a RT.

Y'know these are professional NFL coaches who have coached in many places over many years. I'm pretty sure whatever notion "we" fanbase could come up with, they've already postulated and "experimented" with. Just because it didn't materialize in an actual game, doesn't mean it hasn't been considered.

Do you seriously not understand why Glenn would be more than willing to move to RT?

It's been covered her ad nauseum.

He's being paid like a LT, and is one year into a LT contract. Moving to RT for a single season (in an effort to get the 2 best OTs on the field) does not in any way diminish his compensation or his future value.

If you can read the above two sentences and NOT understand why the team would ask him to move, and why he should be more than willing, well, I'm not certain that the concept of strengthening a unit on the field will ever make sense to you.

Kujo isn't nearly good at LT as Glenn. So the Bills would be putting the much better player at a less important position and replacing him with a guy who broke his hip when he tipped over.

Makes little sense.

The Bills only have about $14M in cap space and will need about $6m to pay their 2017 draft picks. They only have 59 players on their current roster, which they will need to expand to 90 players.

They still have lots of improvements to make (i.e. backup QB, TE, WR, DT, DE, DT, LB, LB, CB, CB, CB, S).

The team has been signing bargin-basement FAs for a reason. I would not say that the Bills have plenty of cap space at this point.

I don't think there's any doubt that Glenn will play where he's asked to play. The team would not lower his salary if they were to move him to RT.

I think the new coaching staff would be open to this idea since they are starting from scratch.