Kouandjio to LT experiment.

With the Bills strapped for cap space (i.e. they're having a tough time signing a vet FA RT) and with only six draft picks (R1,R2,R3,R5,R5,R6) it may be wise for this new coaching staff to seriously consider placing Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT rather than going with the more conventional Glenn at LT and Mills at RT.

Mills was a turnstile at RT last year, arguably the worst RT in the league. That needs to be improved upon.

I know that Glenn is being paid like a LT, and therein lies the rub for the Bills' front office. But the bottom line is that the Bills should be putting the best players on the field if they hope to win more games.

Because of Kouandjio's prior knee injury, he doesn't play RT very well. However, he does seem to play LT very well.

Possible scenarios:

Glenn - LT/Mills - RT

Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT

Glenn - LT/Ducasse - RT

Glenn - LT/Groy - RT

There are a lot of possibilities but I think that the Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT experiment is at least worth exploring because it may prove to be the most successful.

Your thoughts.

Agree entirely. Put your 5 best linemen out there.

the RT/LT divide is not so important anymore. There are lots of good pass rushers from the right side.

The only thing I wouldn't want to mess up is the Richie/Glenn run game combo, but that might not be such an issue either

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How/when did Kujo get to be the top 15 or 20th LT in the NFL??

This place is out of control!

You're telling me. I don't think people realise how good Glenn is and I think they are putting too much faith in Kujo based on a very small sample size.

Did you even reqd the article youngster? It was week 13 for 61 snaps due to an injury. In no way shape or form would anyone ever do this in any normal situation. To even infer that it is remotely the same as taking an above average to excellent lt who is healthy and plcing that person at rt because you have bums for rts makes no sense at all. Still waiting on my apology.

In case you werent aware in a normal non emergency:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitAn20.htm

Didnt kill anything. The article that he didnt even reqd states they moved him to guard week 13 for an injury. Yikes. Got two very wrong people on here that think they know better than general managers triple yikes.

Thanks for calling me youngster...my wife is constantly picking on me for being a few years older than her, so it's nice when an old-timer like yourself comes along (even if your memory is a bit shoddy).

Did you? Because if you did, you wouldn't be touting your brilliance even after inexplicably missing the crux of my previous post entirely (I say 3 seasons ago, and you respond by posing a link to 2008 :lol: but let's go ahead and gloss right over the gigantic error because, hey, reasons!)

Whitworth started the final 4 games of 2013 at LG (plus one playoff game). Why? Because it got their best 5 on the field (just for fun, who moved to LG to replace Clint Boling in Week 13 of 2016?)

If you're response to me is that it takes a special case to move a LT from LT to somewhere else along the line, then congratulations, because you finally get the point! :thumbsup:

What we have with this team is a special case: a player that cannot be useful anywhere else along the OL, but can acquit himself quite nicely at LT.

Still waiting on my apology....but since I'm sure I won't get one (you'd seemingly rather double down), consider for a second why you're still missing the point:

As the Bengals' 2013 (and 2016) situation proves: the OL is best served by getting the best combination of 5 guys on the field. Money is irrelevant, preconception is irrelevant, fans' feelings are irrelevant; winning matters. That's what the Bengals understand that it appears you do not: moving their pro bowl LT to LG at various times throughout his career has best served their team, If it didn't, then they wouldn't do it...dare I say that you don't know more than the GM of the Bengals? :D

The situation really is quite simple: this team needs to get their best OL on the field. If the combination of 5 is better with Cyrus at LT and Glenn at RT than they are with Glenn at LT and Mills at RT, then it's a no-brainer. Despite your claim, they don't need to left-hand the offense or change progressions unless they felt that Cyrus was a liability at LT (in which case the move would make no sense). Based on his work during the 2016 season at the position, that appears not to be the case.

There's no need to worry about money, since they can easily move Glenn back to LT in 2018; the movement gives them time to find a suitable replacement at RT that isn't Jordan Mills.

Agree entirely. Put your 5 best linemen out there.

the RT/LT divide is not so important anymore. There are lots of good pass rushers from the right side.

The only thing I wouldn't want to mess up is the Richie/Glenn run game combo, but that might not be such an issue either

Agreed--from the small sample size we have, Kouandjio/Richie was at least as dominant in the run game.

You're telling me. I don't think people realise how good Glenn is and I think they are putting too much faith in Kujo based on a very small sample size.

For my part, I do think Glenn is easily a top-10 LT. I'm merely campaigning for the idea of trying the combination to see if it's better than the Glenn/Mills ticket. Vis-a-vis: we know what we have with those two; let's see if the whole of the OL is greater with a Kouandjio/Glenn ticket.

For my part, I do think Glenn is easily a top-10 LT. I'm merely campaigning for the idea of trying the combination to see if it's better than the Glenn/Mills ticket. Vis-a-vis: we know what we have with those two; let's see if the whole of the OL is greater with a Kouandjio/Glenn ticket.

I understand your point Bandit and I am not totally closed minded to it...... for me it is a last resort only though. I am not moving Glenn unless I think there is no alternative way to improve the line. It isn't about money or him moaning it is just about how I value LT as a position. I want my best guy there, always.

I understand your point Bandit and I am not totally closed minded to it...... for me it is a last resort only though. I am not moving Glenn unless I think there is no alternative way to improve the line. It isn't about money or him moaning it is just about how I value LT as a position. I want my best guy there, always.

I hear you; I believe we're at that point now.

I don't see any immediate upgrade over Mills in the draft, and investing serious dollars at the position in FA would've been a careless use of resources IMO.

Best option long-term is probably to draft someone in the mid rounds and develop him into a passable RT by next season

I hear you; I believe we're at that point now.

I don't see any immediate upgrade over Mills in the draft, and investing serious dollars at the position in FA would've been a careless use of resources IMO.

Best option long-term is probably to draft someone in the mid rounds and develop him into a passable RT by next season

I'd like to see them at least try first to see if there is any hope for Henderson or for Kujo at RT (I suspect the latter in particular is no) and give Groy a shot at that job. I don't think there is help coming from this draft class (I think the tackle class is woeful) but I did want them to spend FA $$s there. The deal Mike Remmers signed shouldn't have been totally out of their reach in my opinion.

If they think they have exhausted all other options then fine try Kujo LT and Glenn RT but only on the proviso that if LT becomes an issue they go straight back to Glenn and Mills. I'd need to be convinced Kujo and Glann produced more than a marginal gain over Glenn and Mills.

Thanks for calling me youngster...my wife is constantly picking on me for being a few years older than her, so it's nice when an old-timer like yourself comes along (even if your memory is a bit shoddy).

Did you? Because if you did, you wouldn't be touting your brilliance even after inexplicably missing the crux of my previous post entirely (I say 3 seasons ago, and you respond by posing a link to 2008 :lol: but let's go ahead and gloss right over the gigantic error because, hey, reasons!)

Whitworth started the final 4 games of 2013 at LG (plus one playoff game). Why? Because it got their best 5 on the field (just for fun, who moved to LG to replace Clint Boling in Week 13 of 2016?)

If you're response to me is that it takes a special case to move a LT from LT to somewhere else along the line, then congratulations, because you finally get the point! :thumbsup:

What we have with this team is a special case: a player that cannot be useful anywhere else along the OL, but can acquit himself quite nicely at LT.

Still waiting on my apology....but since I'm sure I won't get one (you'd seemingly rather double down), consider for a second why you're still missing the point:

As the Bengals' 2013 (and 2016) situation proves: the OL is best served by getting the best combination of 5 guys on the field. Money is irrelevant, preconception is irrelevant, fans' feelings are irrelevant; winning matters. That's what the Bengals understand that it appears you do not: moving their pro bowl LT to LG at various times throughout his career has best served their team, If it didn't, then they wouldn't do it...dare I say that you don't know more than the GM of the Bengals? :D

The situation really is quite simple: this team needs to get their best OL on the field. If the combination of 5 is better with Cyrus at LT and Glenn at RT than they are with Glenn at LT and Mills at RT, then it's a no-brainer. Despite your claim, they don't need to left-hand the offense or change progressions unless they felt that Cyrus was a liability at LT (in which case the move would make no sense). Based on his work during the 2016 season at the position, that appears not to be the case.

There's no need to worry about money, since they can easily move Glenn back to LT in 2018; the movement gives them time to find a suitable replacement at RT that isn't Jordan Mills.

Agreed--from the small sample size we have, Kouandjio/Richie was at least as dominant in the run game.

He was moved in week 13 because the entire pool of guards were injured. You are wrong its a tremendoisly dumb idea to move Glenn. Immediately after the injury situation rectified itself he was back playing lt and never looked back. The only reason Whitworth played guard was due to injuries. His GM nor coach said hey we pay Whitworth lt money yet we got a rt that cant play rt at all and may be able to half ass play lt lets swap the two. That never happens in the league. So stop with this crap. You were wrong. I want an apology.

He was moved in week 13 because the entire pool of guards were injured. You are wrong its a tremendoisly dumb idea to move Glenn. Immediately after the injury situation rectified itself he was back playing lt and never looked back. The only reason Whitworth played guard was due to injuries. His GM nor coach said hey we pay Whitworth lt money yet we got a rt that cant play rt at all and may be able to half ass play lt lets swap the two. That never happens in the league. So stop with this crap. You were wrong. I want an apology.

Well aren't we sensitive!

Whitworth moved from LT because the whole of the offensive line was better with him at guard than it was with him at tackle. Glenn would be moved from LT if and only if the whole of the OL would be better with him at another position.

That was the comparison...that someone needs this so carefully spelled out to them is astonishing, but hey, I've dealt with it on a somewhat regular basis on this board, so let's roll!

Yes, the reason he was moved is because the other linemen--Collins and Pollak--were capable of playing only specific positions. If it holds true that you never move a LT because he's a LT that stays at LT and gets paid like a LT, then why wouldn't the team have rolled with Whitworth at LT and either Collins or Pollak at guard (given that Zeitler returned to the lineup the following week)? Answer: because Collins couldn't play guard and Whitworth could Again, the crux should be obvious to anyone with a even the most rudimentary understanding of deductive reasoning.

Yes, you can move a LT to another position along the line, and it's not tremendously dumb. In other words: you do not know better than the GM and coaching staff of the Bengals :lol:

Even though I'm 100% sure you'll miss the point again, I'll lay it out as simply as possible.

Special situations sometimes call for special adjustments (some even refer to this as "coaching" or "team building"). If you have a guy that can play multiple positions (i.e. Whitworth, or in this team's case, we're speaking of Glenn, who we know can play LT and guard, and are assuming can play RT), and a guy that can only play one, yet having both of those guys in the lineup in lieu of a different combination of two players at the same spots makes the entire unit perform better, then it's prudent to make the move.

To say that making the whole unit better is "tremendously dumb" based purely upon some mantra that teams don't move LTs to other positions would be the height of stupidity.

Case-in-point: 2 time NFL coach of the year Bruce Arians and 2014 NFL Executive of the Year Steve Keim are moving LT Jared Veldheer to RT

http://raisingzona.com/2017/02/18/arizona-cardinals-d-j-humphries-likely-play-left-tackle-2017/

So, old timer...do you know more about NFL football than 2 time NFL coach of the year Bruce Arians and 2014 NFL Executive of the Year Steve Keim? B-)

Whitworth moved from LT because the whole of the offensive line was better with him at guard than it was with him at tackle. Glenn would be moved from LT if and only if the whole of the OL would be better with him at another position.

That was the comparison...that someone needs this so carefully spelled out to them is astonishing, but hey, I've dealt with it on a somewhat regular basis on this board, so let's roll!

Yes, the reason he was moved is because the other linemen--Collins and Pollak--were capable of playing only specific positions. If it holds true that you never move a LT because he's a LT that stays at LT and gets paid like a LT, then why wouldn't the team have rolled with Whitworth at LT and either Collins or Pollak at guard (given that Zeitler returned to the lineup the following week)? Answer: because Collins couldn't play guard and Whitworth could Again, the crux should be obvious to anyone with a even the most rudimentary understanding of deductive reasoning.

Yes, you can move a LT to another position along the line, and it's not tremendously dumb. In other words: you do not know better than the GM and coaching staff of the Bengals :lol:

Even though I'm 100% sure you'll miss the point again, I'll lay it out as simply as possible.

Special situations sometimes call for special adjustments (some even refer to this as "coaching" or "team building"). If you have a guy that can play multiple positions (i.e. Whitworth, or in this team's case, we're speaking of Glenn, who we know can play LT and guard, and are assuming can play RT), and a guy that can only play one, yet having both of those guys in the lineup in lieu of a different combination of two players at the same spots makes the entire unit perform better, then it's prudent to make the move.

To say that making the whole unit better is "tremendously dumb" based purely upon some mantra that teams don't move LTs to other positions would be the height of stupidity.

Case-in-point: 2 time NFL coach of the year Bruce Arians and 2014 NFL Executive of the Year Steve Keim are moving LT Jared Veldheer to RT

http://raisingzona.com/2017/02/18/arizona-cardinals-d-j-humphries-likely-play-left-tackle-2017/

So, old timer...do you know more about NFL football than 2 time NFL coach of the year Bruce Arians and 2014 NFL Executive of the Year Steve Keim? B-)

No he moved due to injury, and the injury situation only. Coach never woke up and said hey lets experiment. The whole apology thing was sarcastic, and I did it soley to illicit a response from those that were completely and are completely wrong on the subject.

Noone wakes up and says hey lets put my best blindside protector at right tackle and my worst offensive linemen at lt. No one. All of you suggesting this will get clowned on by the coaching staff this year when you see that a. Glenn is playing lt, and b. Cyrus doesnt even crack the starting line up. Oh man you guys make me laugh...

I'll offer this to Bill_with_it

02dd9813c382df25433d0836db63e25b.jpg

Read the article specifically where it states the only reason whitworh was moved was die to injury.

For all but five of the 61 plays they ran against the Chargers in their Week 13 contest at Qualcomm Stadium, the Bengals were forced into the unenviable task of replacing their two starting offensive guards. Right guard Kevin Zeitler already was missing in action, declared inactive before the game due to a foot injury that has slowed him the last three weeks. He made the trip, but didn't participate.

He ended up getting joined on the sidelines by left guard Clint Boling, a third-year lineman from Georgia who succumbed to a knee injury on the Bengals' second drive. Coach Marvin Lewis after the game called it "significant." During his news conference back in Cincinnati on Monday, he outlined just how bad it was.

Henderson's situation here is at play in this discussion. His 10 gaem suspension has 4 games to run......but, can he go to camp? And play in the preseason? Don't know........in other situations, that is allowed...don't know about inside of the 10 game sit down. would like the new staff to take a look and determine if Marrone and the more recent OL coaches were wrong.....or is Henderson an NFL player. He certainly had his ups and downs, but his physical issues (Chrone's) may be behind him. Anyhow, if he is any good....he might play in here more than discussed so far. Of course, he may be a bad risk on the basis of his love for the cannibis plant...and...is the next one a year or lifetime. He does seem to be headed down the Josh Gordon path. (maybe for medical reasons, but rules are rules)

Edited by bigK14094

No he moved due to injury, and the injury situation only. Coach never woke up and said hey lets experiment. The whole apology thing was sarcastic, and I did it soley to illicit a response from those that were completely and are completely wrong on the subject.

Noone wakes up and says hey lets put my best blindside protector at right tackle and my worst offensive linemen at lt. No one. All of you suggesting this will get clowned on by the coaching staff this year when you see that a. Glenn is playing lt, and b. Cyrus doesnt even crack the starting line up. Oh man you guys make me laugh...

Read the article specifically where it states the only reason whitworh was moved was die to injury.

For all but five of the 61 plays they ran against the Chargers in their Week 13 contest at Qualcomm Stadium, the Bengals were forced into the unenviable task of replacing their two starting offensive guards. Right guard Kevin Zeitler already was missing in action, declared inactive before the game due to a foot injury that has slowed him the last three weeks. He made the trip, but didn't participate.

He ended up getting joined on the sidelines by left guard Clint Boling, a third-year lineman from Georgia who succumbed to a knee injury on the Bengals' second drive. Coach Marvin Lewis after the game called it "significant." During his news conference back in Cincinnati on Monday, he outlined just how bad it was.

What about his link about the Cardinals moving tackles?

Noone wakes up and says hey lets put my best blindside protector at right tackle and my worst offensive linemen at lt. No one.

Try this whole reading thing that you're accusing others of not doing...

To say that making the whole unit better is "tremendously dumb" based purely upon some mantra that teams don't move LTs to other positions would Obe the height of stupidity.

I always appreciate your commentary on evaluating players and prospects. So I want to express my respect for your judgments in general. However, on the Kujo and Glenn discussion I have problems with how Kujo is rated as a LT. It seems to me that the evaluation of him as a LT is inflated because it is compared to his poor play at RT. On the right side he is over-matched and overwhelmed. On that side he is lumbering and awkward. He demonstrates some athleticism on the left side while he shows little athleticism on the right side. On the left side he is adequate but far from being good.

I'm flexible as to how Kujo should be used. I see him more of an acceptable swing tackle than a capable LT. Mills may not be the best option at RT but maybe moving Groy to the RT position might be a better option. Glenn is a top ten LT (8-10 range). He being matched with Incognito is a good pairing, especially in the run game.

So far, the reality is that Kujo was a wasted high pick that hasn't come close to meeting the expectation for him. Some teams didn't have him on their draft board because of concerns with his knee. That issue has certainly been a factor in how he has played. The accumulated misses in the draft is weighing this franchise down. That is a Whaley issue.

Edited by JohnC

What about his link about the Cardinals moving tackles?

If you are familiar with the situation you would know that they drafted Humphries to play lt. Not right tackle. Doesnt make since to pay Veldheer top ten money and draft Humphries.

During the offseason, it appears the Arizona Cardinals are ready to turn over the starting left tackle job to D.J. Humphries, who filled in very well late in the season when Jared Veldheer went on injured reserve.

It is the position the Cardinals drafted him for and it looks like the switch will be made. Both general manager Steve Keim and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin have suggested that is the way they plan to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/cardswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/23/are-the-cardinals-sure-jare-veldheer-can-play-right-tackle/amp/

I always appreciate your commentary on evaluating players and prospects. So I want to express my respect for your judgments in general. However, on the Kujo and Glenn discussion I have problems with how Kujo is rated as a LT. It seems to me that the evaluation of him as a LT is inflated because it is compared to his poor play at RT. On the right side he is over-matched and overwhelmed. On that side he is lumbering and awkward. He demonstrates some athleticism on the left side while he shows little athleticism on the right side. On the left side he is adequate but far from being good.

I'm flexible as to how Kujo should be used. I see him more of an acceptable swing tackle than a capable LT. Mills may not be the best option at RT but maybe moving Groy to the RT position might be a better option. Glenn is a top ten LT (8-10 range). He being matched with Incognito is a good pairing, especially in the run game.

So far, the reality is that Kujo was a wasted high pick that hasn't come close to meeting the expectation for him. Some teams didn't have him on their draft board because of concerns with his knee. That issue has certainly been a factor in how he has played. The accumulated misses in the draft is weighing this franchise down. That is a Whaley issue.

You've perfectly encapsulated the issue John; well done.

My tit-for-tat with Bill_with_it has more to do with the outright rejection of the notion that a LT can be moved

If you are familiar with the situation you would know that they drafted Humphries to play lt. Not right tackle. Doesnt make since to pay Veldheer top ten money and draft Humphries.

During the offseason, it appears the Arizona Cardinals are ready to turn over the starting left tackle job to D.J. Humphries, who filled in very well late in the season when Jared Veldheer went on injured reserve.

It is the position the Cardinals drafted him for and it looks like the switch will be made. Both general manager Steve Keim and offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin have suggested that is the way they plan to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/cardswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/23/are-the-cardinals-sure-jare-veldheer-can-play-right-tackle/amp/

Interesting considering that they specifically signed Veldheer to play LT in 2014:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340456/article/jared-veldheer-signing-shocked-arizona-cardinals%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%253Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%253Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%253Daround-the-league%253Bteam%253Darz%253Bteam%253Doak%253Bconf%253Dnfc%253Bconf%253Dafc%253Bdvsn%253Dncw%253Bdvsn%253Dacw%253Bplyr%253Dfrederick_houston%253Bplyr%253Djavon_mack%253Bplyr%253Dedwin_veldheer%26p.ct%3DAround%2Bthe%2BNFL%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%2523fff%26p.bgc1m%3D%25230964bf%26p.bgc2m%3D%2523053a74%26sr%3Damp

Isn't odd that the story now changes when they plan to make a move