Kouandjio to LT experiment.

Good grief...a demotion? How so?

Demotions usually mean less responsibility or money--this means neither.

Not sure if you've been paying much attention, but defenses will always attack the weak link on the OL--it's not difficult to put your best pass rusher over the RT or LT if you want to take advantage of a matchup.

No to mention a mobile QB makes the difference between a decent LT and stellar LT negligible.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief...a demotion? How so?

Demotions usually mean less responsibility or money--this means neither.

Not sure if you've been paying much attention, but defenses will always attack the weak link on the OL--it's not difficult to put your best pass rusher over the RT or LT if you want to take advantage of a matchup.

Your right amd so then our offense needs to be redesigned so our te and rb play on the left to help chip so Tyrod who already needs improvement has to now look at all the major reads to the left. So the defenses loads upon the left.

Lt to rt is a demotion. Rt to lt is a promotion. Look at the highest paid lt then look at the Highest paid rt. There is a reason top nfl executives pay more for a elite lt than an elite rt. Stop with your nonsense. You dont know better than the packers, dallas, and the likes gms

He is between 6th and 10th best in the league to my mind.

....so why move 'em?.....remember when Dopey Dickie Jauron moved the behemoth RT Langston Walker to the blind side?.. disaster ..the OL is coming together nicely.....only Mouse was the master tinkerer......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Your right amd so then our offense needs to be redesigned so our te and rb play on the left to help chip so Tyrod who already needs improvement has to now look at all the major reads to the left. So the defenses loads upon the left.

Lt to rt is a demotion. Rt to lt is a promotion. Look at the highest paid lt then look at the Highest paid rt. There is a reason top nfl executives pay more for a elite lt than an elite rt. Stop with your nonsense. You dont know better than the packers, dallas, and the likes gms

Lane Johnson has exactly $500k less in guarantees than Cordy Glenn.

It's not unheard of to have a highyl paid RT.

Edited by FireChan

Cordy glenn isnt the highest paid lt and he still averages 3/4 million more per year than the highest paid rt.

No he's not. He's also not the best LT in the league. He'd be the making the same money whether he played LT, RT or Fullback. And there are RT's who make very comparable money.

I'm not saying that he's definitely going to be amenable to playing RT. But I think it's worth approaching and can be well argued that it makes no true difference.

No he's not. He's also not the best LT in the league. He'd be the making the same money whether he played LT, RT or Fullback. And there are RT's who make very comparable money.

I'm not saying that he's definitely going to be amenable to playing RT. But I think it's worth approaching and can be well argued that it makes no true difference.

you cant be serious. If it warranted the swap a the bills would have done it, b the bills would have trade the hypothetically good lt cyrus for an asset that is a true rt and picks because lts are more valuable. There is no way Glenn plays rt if healthy. You arent smarter than gb, dallas, and the like who pay lts more than rts and realize that it pays to have your best protector on your qbs blindside. Its total nonsense.

The Bills only have about $14M in cap space and will need about $6m to pay their 2017 draft picks. They only have 59 players on their current roster, which they will need to expand to 90 players.

They still have lots of improvements to make (i.e. backup QB, TE, WR, DT, DE, DT, LB, LB, CB, CB, CB, S).

The team has been signing bargin-basement FAs for a reason. I would not say that the Bills have plenty of cap space at this point.

I don't think there's any doubt that Glenn will play where he's asked to play. The team would not lower his salary if they were to move him to RT.

I think the new coaching staff would be open to this idea since they are starting from scratch.

There will be a lot of UDFAs filling out that 90 man roster. Since only the top paid 51 count against the cap, they're still likely OK. I was hoping they'd sign Josh McCown for backup QB but he signed with the Jets.

you cant be serious. If it warranted the swap a the bills would have done it, b the bills would have trade the hypothetically good lt cyrus for an asset that is a true rt and picks because lts are more valuable. There is no way Glenn plays rt if healthy. You arent smarter than gb, dallas, and the like who pay lts more than rts and realize that it pays to have your best protector on your qbs blindside. Its total nonsense.

This is a bad argument. Try to defend your points on their own merits.

Why would we trade Cyrus? If he plays well at LT, like he did last season, we could get a nice comp pick back for him or re-sign him.

This is a bad argument. Try to defend your points on their own merits.

Why would we trade Cyrus? If he plays well at LT, like he did last season, we could get a nice comp pick back for him or re-sign him.

I did defend them.

1. If cyrus is a good lt he would command a draft picks and a trade, hes on a cheap contract. Trade him for a player and pick or picks.

2. Hes not a good or even average lt.

3. You dont move your best offensive linemen to the right side and put perhaps your worst offensive linemen on the qbs blindside.

4. The offensive setup would have to be completely revamped to put the hb, and te almost exclusively on the left side to assist cyrus in picking up the defender making the offense easier to defend as almost every read and progression the quarterback would go through would start out almost exclusively on the left side.

5. You dont pay a lt more money than the highest paid rt to start him at rt and let a below average olinemen take his job because hea completely incapable of performing the job he was supposed to.

6. The idea is dumb and you dont know better than almost every gm in the league.

I did defend them.

1. If cyrus is a good lt he would command a draft picks and a trade, hes on a cheap contract. Trade him for a player and pick or picks.

2. Hes not a good or even average lt.

3. You dont move your best offensive linemen to the right side and put perhaps your worst offensive linemen on the qbs blindside.

4. The offensive setup would have to be completely revamped to put the hb, and te almost exclusively on the left side to assist cyrus in picking up the defender making the offense easier to defend as almost every read and progression the quarterback would go through would start out almost exclusively on the left side.

5. You dont pay a lt more money than the highest paid rt to start him at rt and let a below average olinemen take his job because hea completely incapable of performing the job he was supposed to.

6. The idea is dumb and you dont know better than almost every gm in the league.

Let's blast point #6 out of the water for good:

Why did the Cincinnati Bengals move LT Andrew Whitworth to LG 3 seasons ago?

Answer: because with backup LT Anthony Collins in the lineup, they were able to get their best 5 on the field.

Pop quiz: did Whitworth sign for LT or LG money in FA?

Let's say I agree he was 10. How much of a drop off did you see with Kujo at LT? Not much. Therefore you could have a top 10 and let's say a top 15 or at worst top 20 player at both tackle spots. Isn't that better than top 10 LT and possibly worst RT?

Again maybe Groy is better, maybe Mills gets better. But if CK comes back healthy he and Glenn at LT and RT respectively is the best combination to start.

I don't think CK is anywhere near a top 15 tackle. I think the drop off from Glenn to Koundjio is steep. Can CK hold the spot down for 2 or 3 games? Yes. But if we loat Cordy for a whole year, heaven forbid, then we would notice his absence. He is really, really good.

Play your best tackle at left tackle.

Let's blast point #6 out of the water for good:

Why did the Cincinnati Bengals move LT Andrew Whitworth to LG 3 seasons ago?

Answer: because with backup LT Anthony Collins in the lineup, they were able to get their best 5 on the field.

Pop quiz: did Whitworth sign for LT or LG money in FA?

Ill wait for an apology after you read this and realize how ridiculous your comment is and was:

Whitworth was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round (55th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. He made his NFL debut on special teams September 10 at Kansas City. He started at left guard in his second game, September 17 against the Cleveland Browns, as part of a line shuffle that saw left guard Eric Steinbach replace injured Levi Jones at left tackle. Whitworth helped Bengals pile up 481 yards against Browns, including 145 rushing yards by Rudi Johnson. He was in the starting lineup for the remainder of the season, in part due to the number of injuries that depleted the Bengals' offensive line. On November 12 vs. the San Diego Chargers, he helped the offense produce a season-high 545 yards and career-high 440 yards passing from Carson Palmer. He also had a key block on Rudi Johnson's seven-yard touchdown run in first quarter.

On July 25, 2008, Whitworth agreed in principle to a four-year extension worth a reported $30 million that would keep him in Cincinnati through 2013.[2]

In 2009, head coach Marvin Lewis decided to move Whitworth from guard to left tackle and saw immediate impact.

Whitworth is getting paid as a left tackle because thats what left tackles do.

Ill wait for an apology after you read this and realize how ridiculous your comment is and was:

Whitworth was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round (55th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. He made his NFL debut on special teams September 10 at Kansas City. He started at left guard in his second game, September 17 against the Cleveland Browns, as part of a line shuffle that saw left guard Eric Steinbach replace injured Levi Jones at left tackle. Whitworth helped Bengals pile up 481 yards against Browns, including 145 rushing yards by Rudi Johnson. He was in the starting lineup for the remainder of the season, in part due to the number of injuries that depleted the Bengals' offensive line. On November 12 vs. the San Diego Chargers, he helped the offense produce a season-high 545 yards and career-high 440 yards passing from Carson Palmer. He also had a key block on Rudi Johnson's seven-yard touchdown run in first quarter.

On July 25, 2008, Whitworth agreed in principle to a four-year extension worth a reported $30 million that would keep him in Cincinnati through 2013.[2]

In 2009, head coach Marvin Lewis decided to move Whitworth from guard to left tackle and saw immediate impact.

Whitworth is getting paid as a left tackle because thats what left tackles do.

:lol:

Except that I was talking about the 2013 season...which was 5 years AFTER he got paid like a LT.

He moved to LG mid season because they wanted Anthony Collins at LT--the only position that he could play effectively.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/3487/bengals-andrew-whitworth-clint-boling-offensive-guard-move

Guess what happened in the offseason...Collins signed for LT money ;and subsequently washed out of the NFL) and Whitworth moved back to LT with ZERO reduction in salary or market value.

So I'll actually go ahead and await YOUR apology.

Except that I was talking about the 2013 season...which was 5 years AFTER he got paid like a LT.

He moved to LG mid season because they wanted Anthony Collins at LT--the only position that he could play effectively.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/3487/bengals-andrew-whitworth-clint-boling-offensive-guard-move

Guess what happened in the offseason...Collins signed for LT money ;and subsequently washed out of the NFL) and Whitworth moved back to LT with ZERO reduction in salary or market value.

Oooooooooh kill 'em.

Did you even reqd the article youngster? It was week 13 for 61 snaps due to an injury. In no way shape or form would anyone ever do this in any normal situation. To even infer that it is remotely the same as taking an above average to excellent lt who is healthy and plcing that person at rt because you have bums for rts makes no sense at all. Still waiting on my apology.

In case you werent aware in a normal non emergency:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitAn20.htm

Oooooooooh kill 'em.

Didnt kill anything. The article that he didnt even reqd states they moved him to guard week 13 for an injury. Yikes. Got two very wrong people on here that think they know better than general managers triple yikes.

Let's say I agree he was 10. How much of a drop off did you see with Kujo at LT? Not much. Therefore you could have a top 10 and let's say a top 15 or at worst top 20 player at both tackle spots. Isn't that better than top 10 LT and possibly worst RT?

Again maybe Groy is better, maybe Mills gets better. But if CK comes back healthy he and Glenn at LT and RT respectively is the best combination to start.

How/when did Kujo get to be the top 15 or 20th LT in the NFL??

This place is out of control!