Top 5 Favorite Movies

EersN'Bills

1 Slap Shot

2 Airplane!

3 Stripes

4 Animal House

5 Caddy Shack

HM The Breakfast Club; The Princess Bride; Local Hero; Grosse Pointe Blank; High Fidelity; Better Off Dead; No Way Out; The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly; The Dirty Dozen; Beer; The Trouble with Harry; Casablanca; The Maltese Falcon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone tell that Kraut I don't roll on Shabbos.

"I am not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski, I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me ya know? Either that or His Dudeness. Or, uh, Duder. Or El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

That's a good list. Memento was a mind !@#$.

I had to rewatch it the second it ended.

The Godfather

Tootsie

The Sting

Dances with Wolves

Can't name a fifth....Shawshank, LA Confidential, Apollo 13, Godfather II, Goodfellas (last 30 mins knocks it out of the top 3), American Beauty....lots of contenders.

Today's list (going for my favorites that haven't been named -- I think -- so far):

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

3. Bowfinger

4. High Fidelity

5. Barton Fink

Road Trip
How High
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Eurotrip
Clerks

Honorable mention goes to Cheech and Chong for getting things started.

:lol: I sense a theme. And I'd laugh my ass off watching that line-up... add some tom petty and I think it's DC Tom's nightmare.

I would add the Untouchables to my top five list if Kevin Costner made more than one facial expression playing Elliot Ness. Robert De Nero was excellent as Capone, and Sean Connery was awesome as usual.

Actually speaking of Connery, I would add Hunt for the Red October and Last Crusade to my list of honorable mentions. This is hard.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

* The Godfather

* Star Wars (A New Hope)

* Alien

* The Thin Red Line

* The Sound of Music - I don't usually think of this movie as one of my favorites, but I have no problem defending it as one of the best. And I have watched it several times. ...I guess it is a favorite!

GF 2 > GF 1 but just by a millimicron.

Robert DeNiro as young Vito was great

That's my take too. The young Vito storyline is terrific.

I go back and forth in my mind about this. Ultimately I give a bonus to an original (initial) story. It has a higher burden to establish a world. I know that is heady for something as subjective as a favorite. I have a built-in almost nostalgic feeling for the original Godfather, Star Wars, Alien etc. that give them a boost in my ratings.

These are always in the top three for me, it's hard to decide on a top five.

The Big Lebowski

Die Hard

The Matrix

Next tier is

Die Hard 3 and 4

John Wick

Tropic Thunder

and probably a dozen other I can't think of

Since we have a top 5 favorite TV shows, I thought we'd do top 5 favorite movies.

Mine:

1.) Goodfellas- I personally think it's Scorsese's best, but Taxi Driver and Raging Bull also contend for that title. Really shows the dark world of the mob and doesn't hold back.

2.) The Shawshank Redemption- So uplifting and just a great story. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman steal the show.

3.) The Empire Strikes Back- Best of the Star Wars movies. Enough said there.

4.) Memento- The narrative structure is so unique and after watching it you'll be forced to watch it again because your mind is blown.

5.) Edward Scissorhands- Quirky and lovable. It's a 90s, suburban take on the Frankenstein/Outsider story.

Based on your list I watched Memento last night. Definitely a different movie. I will have to watch it again.