Today I Learned....PartII

TIL the meaning of coins at a grave site

A penny is left for a fallen service member to pay your respects

A nickel is left for a fallen service member by somebody who went thru boot camp with them

A dime is left for a fallen service member by somebody who served with them

A quarter is left for a fallen service member by somebody who was there when they fell

TIL the goddam price of pulp and paperboard has gone up $50/ton and as a result produce boxes are getting a 9% increase across the board effective July 1.

Thinking of going plastic next year.

it's been skyrocketing since 2008. 2010 it caught on fire.

it's been skyrocketing since 2008. 2010 it caught on fire.

We had to stop using waxed boxes because Whole Foods and other like minded institutions can't recycle them, so I'm thinking plastic is totally on the table. They print out nicer too.

We had to stop using waxed boxes because Whole Foods and other like minded institutions can't recycle them, so I'm thinking plastic is totally on the table. They print out nicer too.

That's been clear to me since I saw The Graduate.

:)

That's been clear to me since I saw The Graduate.

:)

been clear to me since crystal Pepsi. That clear! Also since I saw Its A Wonderful Life when plastics were just taking off at that factory in Buffalo

TIL I learned Gugny's cat trick.

TIL I learned Turkey eggs should be between 101.1-105.1 degrees. and survive less than 20% of the time in the wild.

We get Canadian geese nesting everywhere @ work....

This was a bad year... About 15 eggs have been abandoned and left for "duds."

Bald eagles were abundant though... Counted about a handful for USACE sighting reports. This condidering it's in the industrial part of SouthChicago and SuperFund sites nearby & dead 40 years ago:

"A majority of Bald Eagles nest in Alaska and remote areas of Canada. A small number nest in the United States in areas where isolation can still be maintained. Major nesting areas are concentrated in: the Far West, (Alaska, the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington, as well as Washington, Oregon, and northern California); the Upper Midwest (central and northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan); and the East Coast (Maine, the Chesapeake Bay area, and Florida).

During winter months, bald eagles are widely scattered throughout much of the continental U.S. Substantial numbers may be found along the Upper Mississippi River and its larger tributaries. Smaller concentrations may be found in other areas, including the deserts of the West and Southwest."

Swans... Only seen a few this year...

TIL the goddam price of pulp and paperboard has gone up $50/ton and as a result produce boxes are getting a 9% increase across the board effective July 1.

Thinking of going plastic next year.

Have you considered bags/containers made from plant materials? But I am not clear on their pricing comparison but if paper/pulp keeps increasing perhaps this could be considered as an option. This is one of them but there are many others: http://www.worldcentric.org/

My wife uses them (or similar) for utensils, plates, take out containers, etc. for her mobile food trailer. It costs more than plastic but she uses "everything is compostable", "taste not waste", etc. in her marketing