Houston traded Osweiler to Cleveland

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can acknowledge saying its a good move without having to say "why cant we be like the Browns; Bills have no plan".

Can we do that or is that too difficult?

Of course. I'm referring to the folks who knee-jerked to "lol Browns."

@adamschefter

Stunner: Texans trade Brock Osweiler AND 2018 2nd-rd pick to CLEV for Browns to take Osweiler contract off Houston books, sources tell ESPN.

wow! i can't believe Cleveland fell for this crap.

just, wow.

Yeah - my thoughts exactly. Gotta hit the floor, and you don't really have anyone at the position anyway. Add some solid playmakers in the draft this year - keep the team really green and really cheap. Do it sabres style - guy plays well and sprains his ankle... put him on IR.

Draft your QB in 2018 and attack 2018 free agency.

And as far as that goes, the possibilities: (1) you "win" the first overall pick by going 3-13 or so; (2) you're not that terrible in 2017 after all, so you go 5-11 and start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Some other team that's already committed to a QB (think: the Jags draft a Watson or Trubisky and go 3-13) gets the first pick. The Browns can easily send an unbeatable, Herschel Walker-esque package to that team for the rights to draft a Darnold. And they'll have so many picks/young players that in theory that shouldn't cause them any problems. I'm tending toward the "DePo is a mad genius" theory instead of the "DePo is nuts" (or, heaven forbid, a "baseball guy."

This. It is very intelligent, and I wish the Bills were thinking like this and rebuilding this way as opposed to chasing 8-8

We dont have the capspace to make this kinda move but i like the way Whaley and McDermott are putting this pieces together. Teams get in trouble when they sign big name free agents on the bad side of 30. We have added players who are just about to enter their prime or are currently in their prime. Exception is probably our short yardage situation back in Tolbert. But that is a good way to fill holes is under the radar young guys who can contribute for years to come. We also added two captains to the team so adding leadership is a good way to start building a team. Leadership is a good quality to have and didnt have much of it under Ryan

I have to say, its actually wildly entertaining to watch the drama in this thread, especially since it has noting to do with the Bills in the first place.

TSW Vets making comments on the newbies. Newbies upset threatening to go to another board. People not understanding the value to both sides to these teams and calling them stupid. People calling the Bills stupid because we aren't doing it the "Browns way". Geesh...talk about over reacting around here.

Its quite simple actually: This was a great move for both sides. There really is not even a debate here. Browns have to use cap space and can easily absorb Brock, this has NOTHING to do with them wanting Brock to be their QB. They get back for the trouble one more valuable draft asset. Houston rids themselves of an anchor that would continue to hold that team back as Brock is not any good and his contract was massive. They spent a 2nd round pick to get better by subtraction of a colossal contractual mistake they made. Its a crystal clear win-win for both teams, so not sure why this is confusing to some or why people are bickering so much about non-Bills trade anyway lol.

There really is no reason for all the hostility on this...save it for the Tyrod threads lmao.

I still have questions: I thought it was better to cut a player than trade him, as had been discussed concerning Tyrod. So, by trading Osweiler, doesn't Houston take the full cap hit for the remaining bonus money, which they could've deferred by cutting him as June 1st designation? Cleveland takes the salary cap hit for 2017 salary if they keep him, but if they cut him, doesn't that salary hit go away? What about any guaranteed salary amount? Does that go to Cleveland or stay with Houston?

I still have questions: I thought it was better to cut a player than trade him, as had been discussed concerning Tyrod. So, by trading Osweiler, doesn't Houston take the full cap hit for the remaining bonus money, which they could've deferred by cutting him as June 1st designation? Cleveland takes the salary cap hit for 2017 salary if they keep him, but if they cut him, doesn't that salary hit go away? What about any guaranteed salary amount? Does that go to Cleveland or stay with Houston?

houston has 9 mill dead cap hit this year with the trade , but Cleveland takes on the fully guaranteed 16 mill base salary for 2017 whether they cut him or not.

THIS! What a great move by BOTH teams. Great trade for Houston as Brock is awful, and yes they lose a 2nd round pick, but they got a ton of cap space to go in a different direction as the Brock deal was a colossal mistake. Browns absorb a contract they have room for while they rebuild and pick up another great asset in a loaded draft.

Basically Cle bought a 2nd round pick in this draft...a very good draft to do so and it wont hurt them in anyway. Houston paid a price to get away from Brock, but it absolutely puts Houston in a MUCH better position moving forward to be rid of that dead weight QB eating a ton of cap room and handcuffing that team from getting better.

So besides the cap room, did Cleveland send Houston anything back? Or was it just like "here take this dooshbag and his ****ty contract and well give you a 2nd round pick for doing us a favor, and well call it even there?

So besides the cap room, did Cleveland send Houston anything back? Or was it just like "here take this dooshbag and his ****ty contract and well give you a 2nd round pick for doing us a favor, and well call it even there?

2017 4th rd pick