Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

yeah could you guys just stop with that crap. i so tired of everything being compared to the team that had the biggest gift from heaven land just in their lap. literally ANY team and ANY decent nfl coach could accomplish what they have if the best passer in the history of the nfl floated to them like magic at exactly the time all the rules favor that one position

for the love of all that doesnt make me want to vomit, please stop riding their jocks

I get what you're saying, but after 4 decades of mostly pain I'm convinced the bills would have drafted brady and seen his promise as a long snapper.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ.

The defense sucked. He doesn't play defense. What is so hard to understand about this?

The defense was better than Tyrod in our seven wins...this is fact. In our losses...he didn't make the difference.

And now we will be losing some of our best players on both sides of the ball and replacing them with rookies and cheap FA replacements, as well as a tougher schedule.

I wonder how long the excuses for Taylor will last. If everything is not perfect for Taylor, it's not his fault.

Nicely done by Whaley. It allows Cardale to develop, even allows us to draft a QB this year and gives us a couple of seasons before real decisions need to be made. Tyrod has his warts, but no one who is going to be better than him in week 1 is available to us.

Agreed. It also allows them to skip a weak QB class, if they're so inclined, as opposed to forcing their own hand in a weak year and sitting on their hands a year from now, when the class may be stronger.

Another two years under this contract gives the Bills the flexibility to grab a QB in either this draft OR in '18, and still give that prospect time to develop. It even gives them the option to stick with Tyrod if his play improves in the new offense, or the quarterback they draft (and they positively need to draft one in the next year or two) fails to adequately progress.

The defense was better than Tyrod in our seven wins...this is fact. In our losses...he didn't make the difference.

And now we will be losing some of our best players on both sides of the ball and replacing them with rookies and cheap FA replacements, as well as a tougher schedule.

I wonder how long the excuses for Taylor will last. If everything is not perfect for Taylor, it's not his fault.

In 5 of the 6 games vs the AFC EAST our defense averaged 33 godforesaken points a game. 33.

In the other game, they faced the Pats without Brady, or else we probably wouldve broken some NFL record for most points given up to divisional opponents.

Agreed. It also allows them to skip a weak QB class, if they're so inclined, as opposed to forcing their own hand in a weak year and sitting on their hands a year from now, when the class may be stronger.

Another two years under this contract gives the Bills the flexibility to grab a QB in either this draft OR in '18, and still give that prospect time to develop. It even gives them the option to stick with Tyrod if his play improves in the new offense, or the quarterback they draft (and they positively need to draft one in the next year or two) fails to adequately progress.

You mean avoiding an EJ situation again? Makes sense to me.

Totally fine with this deal- keep us out of QB "purgatory" with at least a respectable option at QB, gives cap flexibility, and keeps options open if option to draft a qb materializes.

PS- this is a good thread, but keeps moving down as there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many new threads started around here lately

Bills continue to show mastery over contract restructuring and ability to get players to fit in at their number and seemingly take "fair deals" instead of ones tilted oin favor of the players, even when they likely could get more...not sure how they are doing it, but this doesn't get enough praise from people

Whaley must of learned those tricks while working in the Steelers Franchise.

@viccarucci

Under restructured deal w #Bills, Tyrod Taylor gets $7M signing bonus. Cap value for '17 goes from $16M to just under $10M.

Tyrod Taylor's restructured deal w #Bills covers 5 years total. After the first 2 years, it becomes a year-to-year agreement.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/08/bills-restructure-taylor-contract-keep-team/

@sharpfootball

Tyrod Taylor now carries the cheapest starting vet-QB cap hit in the NFL (assuming RGIII done in CLE). Nice restructure, a page from NE.

Did Vicnegar get early scoop on this contract details?

Thought it deserved its own thread since the one about him staying is massive and things get buried.

Whaley deserves props, imo.

this. QBs make money. The Pegulas have it. All that matters is Cap.

Agreed. Whaley and TT both deserve some props for this, it's the best move for the organization.

Jesus Christ.

The defense sucked. He doesn't play defense. What is so hard to understand about this?

This isn't the greatest show on turf, so people will complain.

Agreed. Whaley and TT both deserve some props for this, it's the best move for the organization.

This isn't the greatest show on turf, so people will complain.

Yes...because nobody should complain about having by far the longest playoff drought in sports.

The QB can't pass well enough to win games. This is a problem.

Pretending that people have unfair expectations and are complaining for no reason is ridiculous.

Hats off to Whaley for his handling of this. We now have stability at QB going into the draft which should prevent us from doing something stupid (cough cough EJ cough cough)

It's fair to complain. It's fair to be content with his return. It's a wash. The lack of options and expected QB market afforded an opportunity for both the Bills and Tyrod to agree on a restructure.

I'm glad he's back. If a QB is there in the draft that they like, take him. If not, load up on a need.

Here's a better stat, and Ill quote myself again:

Since 2015, the Chiefs are 15 - 1 in games where they score 25 points or more.

Since 2015, the Bills are 9 - 8 in games where they score 25 points or more.

Fix the defense. Make the playoffs.

Andrew Luck is 25-0 over his career when the Colts have held the opponents under 20 points.

Taylor only has 1 loss when his defense holds opponents under 20.

Our D needs to improve.

well, Tyrod proved to be the upstanding young man i always thought he was. regardless of reports that he wasn't open to taking a penny less, he did so for at least this year, for the benefit of the team. i still am curious what the commitment to him is for the two year period. being that, right now we have ample cap room for '18, i'm thinking he has a larger deadcap hit than he originally had for '18. i hope the actual details come out soon.

that being said, i am still not sold on him as a passing QB. he still has too many deficiencies that he had back in college that haven't been rectified in the 7 years since he left. i am not very confident that he will ever overcome them. especially in a WCO where he will need to throw over the middle and anticipate where the receiver will be before he gets there. hopefully a better coaching staff, in particular Dennison, will be able to manage him to maximize the play.

I'm still confused about this.

Did Taylor take less money or not? From what some people in this thread are saying it sounds like he's going to get the same amount of money, but a bunch of his salary from this year is being converted to a bonus...

I'm lost on NFL contracts.

Can someone, when they find out, simply post the money Taylor is guaranteed with this new contract?

Edited by transplantbillsfan