Glennon to get $14-$15m / yr

Oh no, I know the market. Don't worry about that. Here are the deals of people who started at some point for their team in 2016 having been signed as bridge guys:

RGIII - 2 years; $15m; $6.75 guaranteed; $7.5m per year

McCown - 3 years; $14m; $6.25m guaranteed; $4.6m per year

Keenum - 2 years; $3.9m; $0m guaranteed; $1.85m per year

Fitzpatrick - 2 years; $12m; $12m guaranteed; $6m per year

Bradford - 2 years; $35m; $22m guaranteed; $17.5m per year

Gabbert - 3 years; $6m; $0.5m guaranteed; $2m per year

So you look at those Quartebacks and say "the only one comparable to Taylor as a player is Bradford". Fine. So let's take Bradford as the top of the "bridge" market. His cap hit per year is in the same ball park as Tyrod.... but his 2 year contract was always designed with an acceptable out after the first year. If the Vikings wanted to cut him now (in a world where poor Teddy B was healthy again) it would save them $14m against the cap and cost them just $4m in dead money.

If that was the Tyrod situation - pay him $17.5m this year and have only $4m dead money if you cut him after 2017 then it would be a no brainer that you take up the option. I've even advocated paying him as much as $20m for 1 year if you could find a way of vastly reducing the dead money associated with a pre-2018 cut. If the Bills cut Tyrod pre-2018 on this contract that is $14.5m in dead cap. It is too much.

So no, once you get below the cap hits per year and properly dig into the contract you find it it not the going rate for a bridge.

Fitz Had a one year, $12 million deal in reality. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/ryan_fitzpatricks_jets_contract_heres_exactly_how.html

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but I'm starting to think that the phrase "long term" is the enemy of reason among Bills fans. This is a short term league, and McDermott WILL be fired if he has successive 4-12 seasons. Nothing is precluding the Bills from paying Taylor his garden variety contractual salary, drafting a qb early, and still managing the cap with relative ease.

I think this approach is why it is 17 years. We are constantly trying to add those few pieces and reload to make a playoff run. I am not advocating a tank. I am advocating take a step back and look at how they really want to build this team the next 3 or 4 years.

I guess I'm in the minority.... but I think this is an easy decision.

You pick up the option because he's the best one available and the Tyrod led offense WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. FIX THE DEFENSE, LEAVE THE OFFENSE ALONE.

It was the McCoy led offense btw. Run game 1 Pass game 32

Edited by Ryan L Billz

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.

Remind me again how we're grossly overpaying for Tyrod.

As mothers used to say, "If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" Stupid is as stupid does. Would you ask the Texans for advice on how much we should pay for TT?

As mothers used to say, "If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" Stupid is as stupid does. Would you ask the Texans for advice on how much we should pay for TT?

People who bring up this tired argument are out of touch with the basic principles of supply and demand.

Paying a QB - who was named to back to back pro bowls and has a ridiculously good TD/INT ratio and is still 27yrs old - a salary that amounts to a cap hit that would put him around the 20th highest paid QB in the NFL isnt stupid is as stupid does.

This seems to be the mentality from most and I don't understand it....it doesn't have to be one or the other.

You can keep Tyrod AND draft a first or second round QB. Why is that so hard to comprehend for some?

It isn't..... but you would hope by year 2 that Tyrod is the backup.... and do I want to pay that to a backup when this team has so many other holes or by then do I want to be putting pieces around my young starting Quarterback?

Well, one thing is, if we dump TT and go with X (the bargin guy), Cardale, and a Rookie, most everyone (in this thread anyways) will just sit back and enjoy next season secure in the notion that "hey, at least we saved a ton of money".

You know THAT is why I watch football!

It isn't..... but you would hope by year 2 that Tyrod is the backup.... and do I want to pay that to a backup when this team has so many other holes or by then do I want to be putting pieces around my young starting Quarterback?

No, you hope he takes another step forward with a better receiving corps and builds on what he showed in the Miami and Seattle games.

Well, one thing is, if we dump TT and go with X (the bargin guy), Cardale, and a Rookie, most everyone (in this thread anyways) will just sit back and enjoy next season secure in the notion that "hey, at least we saved a ton of money".

Ha! Good post.

No, you hope he takes another step forward with a better receiving corps and builds on what he showed in the Miami and Seattle games.

Well you see that is probably why we disagree. I don't think you are ever going to get that Tyrod for 16 games. You clearly still have some hope he could find that consistency and thereby become a viable long term option. I don't believe that is possible. I see too much on tape that has stagnated or got worse from year 1 that prevents me believing he could ever put it together for 16 games.

If I thought that you could get Seattle or Miami Tyrod for 16 games I would have picked up the option immediately. I don't - that is why I am in the "he is a bridge" camp.

Oh no, I know the market. Don't worry about that. Here are the deals of people who started at some point for their team in 2016 having been signed as bridge guys:

RGIII - 2 years; $15m; $6.75 guaranteed; $7.5m per year

McCown - 3 years; $14m; $6.25m guaranteed; $4.6m per year

Keenum - 2 years; $3.9m; $0m guaranteed; $1.85m per year

Fitzpatrick - 2 years; $12m; $12m guaranteed; $6m per year

Bradford - 2 years; $35m; $22m guaranteed; $17.5m per year

Gabbert - 3 years; $6m; $0.5m guaranteed; $2m per year

So you look at those Quartebacks and say "the only one comparable to Taylor as a player is Bradford". Fine. So let's take Bradford as the top of the "bridge" market. His cap hit per year is in the same ball park as Tyrod.... but his 2 year contract was always designed with an acceptable out after the first year. If the Vikings wanted to cut him now (in a world where poor Teddy B was healthy again) it would save them $14m against the cap and cost them just $4m in dead money.

If that was the Tyrod situation - pay him $17.5m this year and have only $4m dead money if you cut him after 2017 then it would be a no brainer that you take up the option. I've even advocated paying him as much as $20m for 1 year if you could find a way of vastly reducing the dead money associated with a pre-2018 cut. If the Bills cut Tyrod pre-2018 on this contract that is $14.5m in dead cap. It is too much.

So no, once you get below the cap hits per year and properly dig into the contract you find it it not the going rate for a bridge.

EDIT: and I am still not saying that means you have to cut him. But if you don't you are overpaying. There is no question about it. The evidence is there. I have been 50/50 all year, I see the argument both ways..... cutting Tyrod probably means you are worse at Quarterback in 2017 than you were in 15 and 16. I get it. Keeping him makes it another 2 years you are bumbling along with a guy you know is not the long term answer. Neither is a particularly attractive option. My gut says cut ties and try and get your guy in the draft and bring in a Siemian or someone to compete / start initially.

Except 5 of those 6 on that list are scrubs who are not starting QB's in this league...Bradford is, Tyrod is....that list isn't really quite an accurate comparison...but you are definitely spot on with the options the Bills are faced with...

Edited by matter2003

Well you see that is probably why we disagree. I don't think you are ever going to get that Tyrod for 16 games. You clearly still have some hope he could find that consistency and thereby become a viable long term option. I don't believe that is possible. I see too much on tape that has stagnated or got worse from year 1 that prevents me believing he could ever put it together for 16 games.

If I thought that you could get Seattle or Miami Tyrod for 16 games I would have picked up the option immediately. I don't - that is why I am in the "he is a bridge" camp.

I think it is hard to make that determinination when he is not throwing to his starting receivers

Who is going to give a **** about how much money Tyrod is making if the guy who takes his spot is better? And if he's better then the team would've found a franchise QB and the team will be winning football games.

You really think Bills fans are going to say, "Yea we are winning, and this new QB is great but look at all that cap space Tyrod is taking up as a back up."

The Bills can cut Taylor and designate him a post June 1st cut and clear a ton of cap space.

His contract isn't an issue at all. Pegula will have to pay him his guaranteed money, but his contract has little impact on our cap situation if we find a better QB.

That's not the point.

Tyrod requires a good/very good team around him to succeed. He hasn't shown he can carry the team. By picking up his option, the Bills are limiting what they can do, financially, to maintain the defense and offense, which Tyrod needs to win games. As it stands the Bills next season will need a #2 WR, #3 WR, FB, RT, DE, LBx2, and probably a safety or 2. All of that with $18m in cap space and 6 draft picks, which will take up $5m in cap space themselves.

So with that in mind can the Bills realistically compete next year picking up Tyrods contract as it is? Or could they get the same level of QB play, save some money, and build a good team for a rookie QB to come into?

Who is going to give a **** about how much money Tyrod is making if the guy who takes his spot is better? And if he's better then the team would've found a franchise QB and the team will be winning football games.

You really think Bills fans are going to say, "Yea we are winning, and this new QB is great but look at all that cap space Tyrod is taking up as a back up."

Scott, if Tyrod is taking up a lot of cap space and you have a rookie QB playing well, you are missing out on something. The rookie QB contract would be cheap at that point, the Bills could be building a team around the rookie QB while he is still on the cheap.

Scott, if Tyrod is taking up a lot of cap space and you have a rookie QB playing well, you are missing out on something. The rookie QB contract would be cheap at that point, the Bills could be building a team around the rookie QB while he is still on the cheap.

Designate him a post June 1st cut and you clear $13 mil in cap space next year...

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.

Remind me again how we're grossly overpaying for Tyrod.

Because Glennon's agent is trying to bump his market value doesn't make it so. Also, because one player is overpaid doesn't change if another player is or not.

That's not the point.

Tyrod requires a good/very good team around him to succeed...

It may not be "the point" but it will more than likely be the REALITY.

Hey, it actually may be a better way to watch the Bills. Afterall, you already content at all the money saved so you don't have to be throwing things at the TV when your guys scew up.

I guess there is something soothing about watching a game with your expectations already met. (saved a ton of money)

I think it is a fine dance - trying to build a strong team. Many of the best players want to win NOW. They are not willing to sacrafice their carreers waiting around for some team to slowly collect all the right players. The Bills have had more than their share of GOOD/GREAT players who could not get out fast enough. Then you start again...

For Crying out loud Jim Kelly tried everything to avoid coming to the Bills.

Some of us just can't seem to lose that crazy notion that we want our team to actually WIN.

Missing out on something?

What does this mean? The Bills will have plenty of cap space after 2017 even with Tyrods option picked up. If they draft a rookie QB and he emerges as a better player then Tyrod then the Bills will have a very good problem on their hands.... I'm sure a problem they wouldn't mind having.

They have plenty of cap room after 2017 because certain players aren't signed yet. The cap numbers as of right now, according to OTC, look good because Watkins hasn't had his option picked up, which is roughly $8M at the moment but could go up after FA. It also looks good because it only includes 13 starters who are under contract. This also doesn't take into effect that the Bills need to sign players THIS offseason, which will effect the 2018 cap.

No offense, but I'm starting to think that the phrase "long term" is the enemy of reason among Bills fans. This is a short term league, and McDermott WILL be fired if he has successive 4-12 seasons. Nothing is precluding the Bills from paying Taylor his garden variety contractual salary, drafting a qb early, and still managing the cap with relative ease.

And that should be the end of the discussion but instead every day is groundhog day.

Picking up Tyrods option won't hamper the team much at all. People just B word because it's a 2 year commitment to a guy who's been slightly above average and pay grade is on par with that. Plus he's not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady so get him out!

No it isn't.

It may not be "the point" but it will more than likely be the REALITY.

Hey, it actually may be a better way to watch the Bills. Afterall, you already content at all the money saved so you don't have to be throwing things at the TV when your guys scew up.

I guess there is something soothing about watching a game with your expectations already met. (saved a ton of money)

I think it is a fine dance - trying to build a strong team. Many of the best players want to win NOW. They are not willing to sacrafice their carreers waiting around for some team to slowly collect all the right players. The Bills have had more than their share of GOOD/GREAT players who could not get out fast enough. Then you start again...

For Crying out loud Jim Kelly tried everything to avoid coming to the Bills.

Some of us just can't seem to lose that crazy notion that we want our team to actually WIN.

I want the Bills to win. That's why we cannot pick up that option.

The NFL is a league of parity where many games come down to the last drive. Tyrod is not who we need directing the offense in the last 2 minutes.

You cannot pay limited players 30-40 million dollars and expect to win. I see this as a 6 win team next year if we pay Tyrod all that money.

Draft a QB in the first round. I like Mahomes and Trubisky. Draft Chad Kelly late.

The winner of Cardale, Kelly, and 1st round QB gets to lead the team. Clear cap space, acquire picks. Bills will be in good shape to compete in 2018 with a cheaper, better QB.

If the plan fails you get another shot to draft 2018 QB high.

there is high demand in the QB market. we knew this. Bills are not "overpaying" for Tyrod. If anything, they are getting Tyrod at BELOW market value and they should just pull the trigger on the option already.

Is it "too much" money for Tyrod? Probably. But it's not an overpay because the market is extremely bloated.

Unless the Bills are planning to tank, then go ahead and start some crappy QB.

I want the Bills to win. That's why we cannot pick up that option.

The NFL is a league of parity where many games come down to the last drive. Tyrod is not who we need directing the offense in the last 2 minutes.

You cannot pay limited players 30-40 million dollars and expect to win. I see this as a 6 win team next year if we pay Tyrod all that money.

Draft a QB in the first round. I like Mahomes and Trubisky. Draft Chad Kelly late.

The winner of Cardale, Kelly, and 1st round QB gets to lead the team. Clear cap space, acquire picks. Bills will be in good shape to compete in 2018 with a cheaper, better QB.

If the plan fails you get another shot to draft 2018 QB high.

You think we'll win more games with a rookie (the consensus is that none of these rookies are ready to play) than with Taylor?

This is Whaley management 101...

Don't pay the fair market value for a QB. Instead cut them loose without a viable backup plan, and waste a first round draft pick on the next EJ Manuel, pay him peanuts because he's a rookie, and pray he turns into a franchise quarterback. When he doesn't... hold an open tryout with a bunch of journeyman guys, get a viable starter out of them, then balk about he's not worth the money you ignorantly offered him in his new contract deal.

Don't pay the fair market value for a QB. Instead cut them loose without a viable backup plan, and waste a first round draft pick on the next EJ Manuel, pay him peanuts because he's a rookie, and pray he turns into a franchise quarterback. When he doesn't... hold an open tryout with a bunch of journeyman guys, get a viable starter out of them, then balk about he's not worth the money you ignorantly offered him in his new contract deal.

Sounds like purgatory.

You think we'll win more games with a rookie (the consensus is that none of these rookies are ready to play) than with Taylor?

No. But I don't see this as a playoff team, not even close. So no point in overpaying for mediocre players like we have the last few years to make a push. Time to surgically remove the dead weight, get younger, and find our QB of the future in training camp. Let that QB get the snaps and have an offense designed around THEIR skillset. I don't want Tyrod here taking up money and snaps when we should be getting younger.

A great draft this year and next and we'll be in great shape PLUS we will have real cap room and a younger, more talented roster.

Look at next years schedule. Who is Tyrod gonna beat ?

The Bills as a team are likely to struggle badly this year. That's the result of 5+ years of terrible drafting.

I'm pretty confident that Tyrod wins more games than one of these unprepared rookies.

I don't see how it makes any sense to draft a rookie, who every analyst says isn't ready to play this year, and burden them with the expectation that they need to show that they're "the guy", or else you go and replace them in 2018 after they inevitably don't play well enough.

Edited by jrober38

QB's get $$$$. Is this a surprise? Oh, and they get paid before the average-great- HOF play. The player has the leverage, as there are not enough to go around. Roll the dice if you want (and I support that), but don't ditch the one serious option you have.

Right. I dont mind cutting Tyrods option but if we dont grab Trubisky Watson or Mahomes ill be pissed and assume were tanking next season. Tanking does not build a winning mentality or culture and Buffalo has been missing a winning mentality since the music city disaster and Flutie Curse.

Pick up Taylor's option and sign a 1st round Rookie QB. Best case scenario is we have a Brees/Rivers controversy. Worst is we continue to miss the playoffs.

This is the obvious thing to do if they have players that want to win now, without waiting.

He's been a starter for only 2 seasons.........and if we had just an average defense last year we would have mage the playoffs

That is true.

:lol::lol:

thats pretty much what happened.

I think Trubisky Watson and Mahomes could be good QBs tho.

No. But I don't see this as a playoff team, not even close. So no point in overpaying for mediocre players like we have the last few years to make a push. Time to surgically remove the dead weight, get younger, and find our QB of the future in training camp. Let that QB get the snaps and have an offense designed around THEIR skillset. I don't want Tyrod here taking up money and snaps when we should be getting younger.

A great draft this year and next and we'll be in great shape PLUS we will have real cap room and a younger, more talented roster.

That's a great plan, but the odds are we won't get better at the QB spot.

You can do whatever you want to get younger, but the result of that is overwhelmingly likely to produce significantly worse QB play next year.

Just because you want a "QB of the future" doesn't mean it's even remotely likely of happening.

Edited by jrober38

The Bills as a team are likely to struggle badly this year. I'm pretty confident that Tyrod wins more games than one of these unprepared rookies.

I don't see how it makes any sense to draft a rookie, who every analyst says isn't ready to play this year, and burden them with the expectation that they need to show that they're "the guy", or else you go and replace them in 2018 after they inevitably don't play well enough.

This is the new NFL. 1st round draft picks come in way more prepared than a decade ago. Players that have "it" show early. My plan did not demand the 1st round QB play, only that he compete with Cardale and 1 other young prospect (Chad Kelly). The winner will be who the coaches feel best going forward with. The Eagles finished with the same record as the Bills last year PLUS they got their young QB valuable snaps.

It's about building a winner, not coasting around hoping for the best.

That's a great plan, but the odds are we won't get better at the QB spot.

You can do whatever you want to get younger, but the result of that is overwhelmingly likely to produce significantly worse QB play next year.

Just because you want a "QB of the future" doesn't mean it's even remotely likely of happening.

No, I feel the odds are that my plan would have a young QB emerge BETTER and CHEAPER than Tyrod within one year. This year is a wash due to heavy free agency loss and new coaches. It's using this year wisely.

Chad has the confidence to be a starter and be able to shake off learning mistakes jmo

Between:

Cardale Jones

Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson pick in the first round

Chad Kelly

Bills should find someone that can hand off the ball to Shady and pass for 200 yards a game. Plus we as fans will enjoy watching this more than the same gimmicks hiding a QB in Tyrod that can't make all the NFL throws. And if I'm wrong the Bills get to pick a QB top 5 in 2018. What a punch in the gut!

This is the new NFL. 1st round draft picks come in way more prepared than a decade ago. Players that have "it" show early. My plan did not demand the 1st round QB play, only that he compete with Cardale and 1 other young prospect (Chad Kelly). The winner will be who the coaches feel best going forward with. The Eagles finished with the same record as the Bills last year PLUS they got their young QB valuable snaps.

It's about building a winner, not coasting around hoping for the best.

No, I feel the odds are that my plan would have a young QB emerge BETTER and CHEAPER than Tyrod within one year. This year is a wash due to heavy free agency loss and new coaches. It's using this year wisely.

Ugh. Letting a couple rookies compete with our 2016 third string QB isn't going to produce an upgrade at the position.

This plan combined with our schedule might legitimately result in the #1 pick in the 2018 draft. At that point you're probably looking for another QB.

And no, it's not more likely. The last 20 years of the NFL draft shows how incredibly hard it is to find a quality quarterback.

Between:

Cardale Jones

Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson pick in the first round

Chad Kelly

Bills should find someone that can hand off the ball to Shady and pass for 200 yards a game. Plus we as fans will enjoy watching this more than the same gimmicks hiding a QB in Tyrod that can't make all the NFL throws. And if I'm wrong the Bills get to pick a QB top 5 in 2018. What a punch in the gut!

Yeah.

They'll be able to hand the ball off and throw for 200 yards, and the number of turnovers we have will probably triple, and we'll lose 13+ games.