Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

And here comes Jerry Sullivan.

LaCanfora's report said Pegula and McDermott have become "close," so the new guy will have sway. Does that mean the owner has moved away from his old management guard and thrown his trust to his latest best buddy? It's scary to think that an unproven, first-time head coach could get that sort of power over an NFL team.

If McDermott thinks he can make the playoffs right away with Taylor, he's no better than Gregg Williams. A little humility might be in order, and it figures to come soon enough.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/05/sullys-mailbag-mcdermott-needs-think-long-term/

Jerry seems to be advocating 'tanking' and then putting the team in a high draft slot where they can land that elusive 'franchise' QB. Of course that implies there is such a thing in this or next season's draft and the Bills, after throwing the season away will make the right selection in the draft, Then its all blue skies and sunshine forever after. Maybe my enthusiasm has been worn away from season after season of this topic but my expectation is the Bills would do what they always do and blow the pick.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the post above...........there is a misconception that there are a dozen or more QB's that can navigate a team with a bad defense, bad special teams and the worst WR corps in the league to the playoffs.

That list is two guys.....Rodgers and Brady.

It would be great to get a player like that........they should keep working on it..........but the success-level spread between what a guy like Tyrod can potentially do over the next few years and what guys like Brees and Rivers have been doing is not nearly as significant as some would like to think.

Is it worse to have a guy like Tyrod who produces while you feel compelled to try to upgrade upon him...........or a guy like Jay Cutler or even Matt Stafford.......who just teased organizations for years on end and their talent is too good to risk letting go and ego's to fragile to bring in competition?

Stafford has made the playoffs in his career and is ten times the QB.

So yeah, it's worse to have TT.

You and I both know that this franchise, and Doug Whaley is no exception, loses his head when it comes to the longitudinal direction of the franchise. I can easily envision a scenario where he doubled down on TT instead of trying to draft his competition.

Tyrod's goals:

#1- get to free agency.

#2- live with bills exercising option.

#3- do NOT renegotiate in hopes of getting to free agency.

#4- sit back and wait for bills next move.

Bills goals:

#1- try to renegotiate a new contract with TT on better terms.

#2- wait til last possible moment before making decision.

Oh come on. I am talking about the frequent invocation of the qb record as a measure of a qb's skill / ability. I am not comparing the two players.

As for me, i'd be thrilled to go 10-6 and make the playoffs. At this point, i'll happily take that. I'm not crazy enough to think that this badly run organization is anywhere close to getting to 13-3, great qb or no. I'm a realist about this team and about my fandom. I hold no illusions about the Bills becoming dominant. In the next half decade, I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that 10-11 wins is their absolute ceiling. I think Taylor, more than any qb the bills have had since flutie and more than any current realistic choice in the draft /fa market, has the greatest potential to get the team go 10-6. That is where I am at. This is not a Super Bowl organization, at least as long as this management group is around.

As for Taylor, he has limits. But he is a likable, exciting player who is fun to watch. If you prefer watching Brian Hoyer, Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler, or whatever mediocre (probable) rookie they might be able to draft, you are welcome to them.

I wasn't suggesting that you were comparing the two. What I was saying is that there is such a qualitative difference between the two that it is a very reasonable argument to make that a qb in the category of TT isn't warranted playing under his contract. That is not an unreasonable position to take.

Is TT better than other options at the position? Who gives a dam? What does it mean? Continuous mediocrity? I'm not fretting over whether he stays or goes as many are. That isn't a meaningful issue for me. The critical issue for me is who is going to be the next qb/prospect? Why is this pathetic front office so passive and oblivious on the qb issue? How does an organization go twenty years without a legitimate franchise qb? That's where my concerns are.

I used to be a Whaley supporter. The well is now dry. I have had enough of this clown operation. As you pointed out this organization is structured and staffed in such a mediocre fashion that it is built to be a little better than mediocre. My frustration with this organization goes beyond its record. It goes to how it is run. It seems incapable of learning from how other winning teams function. It comfortably regresses to the archaic past to function in a fast paced world of change. You don't have to be a football maven to recognize how out of its league this front office is. That's so sad.

Edited by JohnC

I wasn't suggesting that you were comparing the two. What I was saying is that there is such a qualitative difference between the two that it is a very reasonable argument to make that a qb in the category of TT isn't warranted playing under his contract. That is not an unreasonable position to take.

Is TT better than other options at the position? Who gives a dam? What does it mean? Continuous mediocrity? I'm not fretting over whether he stays or goes as many are. That isn't a meaningful issue for me. The critical issue for me is who is going to be the next qb/prospect? Why is this pathetic front office so passive and oblivious on the qb issue? How does an organization go twenty years without a legitimate franchise qb? That's where my concerns are.

I used to be a Whaley supporter. The well is now dry. I have had enough of this clown operation. As you pointed out this organization is structured and staffed in such a mediocre fashion that it is built to be a little better than mediocre. My frustration with this organization goes beyond its record. It goes to how it is run. It seems incapable of learning from how other winning teams function. It comfortably regresses to the archaic past to function in a fast paced world of change. You don't have to be a football maven to recognize how out of its league this front office is. That's so sad.

I have no arguments with your post. I'll only add that Taylor is more fun to watch play football than the parade of stiffs (Manuel, Thad Lewis, Fitz, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe, AVP, and RJ) who preceded him.

Lets see Pegs went and brought in Pat Lafontaine who quit something like 5 months into the job.

TM has not made any blockbuster moves to get the Sabres going in the right direction and, yeah, its been 3 years. Fact is he didnt win the tank, the Oilers did. The tank was a stupid idea to begin with because now Eichel has almost nobody helping him and no defense. Yeah my favorite hockey team is a joke right now.

Do I really need to come on here and explain what a joke the Bills are right now? they fired a HC after less than 2 seasons. Have a dope for a GM that no eye for QB's or how truly valuable top draft picks are. Ralph in his prime would have cleaned house by now.

Bottom line is my rose colored glasses are off and i'm disgusted with how both my beloved teams are ran from top to bottom. Neither has direction right now.

I'm old school anyway, I believe in building to win and producing, not the crap i've been seeing from both teams.

I think he deserves more time on the bills side.....just barely took over the team

I think he deserves more time on the bills side.....just barely took over the team

My issue is that he's made all of the same mistakes with the Bills as he did when bought the Sabres.

He doesn't appear to have learned anything from the mistakes he made following his purchase of the Sabres.

Stafford has made the playoffs in his career and is ten times the QB.

So yeah, it's worse to have TT.

You and I both know that this franchise, and Doug Whaley is no exception, loses his head when it comes to the longitudinal direction of the franchise. I can easily envision a scenario where he doubled down on TT instead of trying to draft his competition.

Tyrod has been a starting QB for TWO seasons? How many seasons has Stafford had?

My issue is that he's made all of the same mistakes with the Bills as he did when bought the Sabres.

He doesn't appear to have learned anything from the mistakes he made following his purchase of the Sabres.

Im not sure that you can do the same things with these 2 teams over different sports.

Lets see Pegs went and brought in Pat Lafontaine who quit something like 5 months into the job.

TM has not made any blockbuster moves to get the Sabres going in the right direction and, yeah, its been 3 years. Fact is he didnt win the tank, the Oilers did. The tank was a stupid idea to begin with because now Eichel has almost nobody helping him and no defense. Yeah my favorite hockey team is a joke right now.

Do I really need to come on here and explain what a joke the Bills are right now? they fired a HC after less than 2 seasons. Have a dope for a GM that no eye for QB's or how truly valuable top draft picks are. Ralph in his prime would have cleaned house by now.

Bottom line is my rose colored glasses are off and i'm disgusted with how both my beloved teams are ran from top to bottom. Neither has direction right now.

I'm old school anyway, I believe in building to win and producing, not the crap i've been seeing from both teams.

Let me guess: you're Luke from Pittsburgh, right? http://www.wgr550.com/ICYMI-Caller-Luke-has-had-enough/23032608

I have no arguments with your post. I'll only add that Taylor is more fun to watch play football than the parade of stiffs (Manuel, Thad Lewis, Fitz, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe, AVP, and RJ) who preceded him.

Go back and review the list you recounted. It's freaking pathetic! What's the solution that this goofball organization is going to come up with? Proudly use their first pick to draft the best DB they can find only to lose that same gem player when the second contract comes up.

What's the difference between this organization and Forest Gump? Gump at least has wisdom while this organization is abjectly stupid. :sick:

Sully, as always, cracks me up...

"The Bills should be willing to take a step back and find a real franchise QB in the draft. If McDermott is such a smart guy, he should recognize that and want to build a real contender."

When Sully says "If McDermott is such a smart guy," he's clearly saying, "If McDermott is as smart as I am, he'd reach the same conclusions I've already reached."

Sully, who's never played or coached a down of professional football, thinks he can evaluate QBs better than Coach McDermott. This is laughable.

I do agree with Sully, though, later in the article when he writes:

"A little humility might be in order."

"The Bills should be willing to take a step back and find a real franchise QB in the draft. If McDermott is such a smart guy, he should recognize that and want to build a real contender." [/size]

When Sully says "If McDermott is such a smart guy," he's clearly saying, "If McDermott is as smart as I am, he'd reach the same conclusions I've already reached."

Sully, who's never played or coached a down of professional football, thinks he can evaluate QBs better than Coach McDermott. This is laughable.

"A little humility might be in order."[/size]

I love it when sports writers advocate tanking and then totally rip the team for doing it later on.

I'm looking at you, Bucky.

I'm surprised that so many posters think Tyrod has hit his ceiling after just 2 years of starting. Rarely do QBs reach their peak after such little game experience. For example.. in their first 2 seasons starting:

Tyrod:

62.6% cmp

6,058 yds

7.42 ypa

37 TD

12 INT

Brady:

62.8% cmp

6,607 yds

6.52 ypa

46 TD

26 INT

And that doesn't capture the +1,000 rushing yards and +9 TDs on the ground for Tyrod.

Obviously Tyrod isn't Brady.. but he can get better, can't he? He's already starting from the point of being a respected leader and a hard worker who protects the ball and gives you a chance to win every game. If the defense improves or if Tyrod improves, this team could be in the playoffs as soon as next year.

Edited by Billsrhody

Put me down as thinking we should keep Tyrod. Our success for the next couple of years is going to be measured in making the playoffs, and adding impact players in the draft. If you think you can acquire an impact QB - go for it. But we aren't winning the division for the next 5 years - and bottoming out is just going to cause us to fire everyone.

Do I think he's a franchise QB? No. But looking at it realistically - we should be trying to manage the cap better, and add good talented players on both sides of the ball for the post-brady era. Try to find QBs however you can, but if there's a player who you think could be a pro-bowler at 10 vs. a project QB, I'd probably go with the projected pro-bowler at this stage. We have like 3 or 4 years to find a QB before it really matters.

Edited by dneveu

I'm surprised that so many posters think Tyrod has hit his ceiling after just 2 years of starting. Rarely do QBs reach their peak after such little game experience. For example.. in their first 2 seasons starting:

Tyrod:

62.6% cmp

6,058 yds

7.42 ypa

37 TD

12 INT

Brady:

62.8% cmp

6,607 yds

6.52 ypa

46 TD

26 INT

And that doesn't capture the +1,000 rushing yards and +9 TDs on the ground for Tyrod.

Obviously Tyrod isn't Brady.. but he can get better, can't he? He's already starting from the point of being a respected leader and a hard worker who protects the ball and gives you a chance to win every game. If the defense improves or if Tyrod improves, this team could be in the playoffs as soon as next year.

Just who do you think you are, speaking so rational??

Blah, blah, blah - you are missing the point.

We can SAVE MONEY!! :sarcasm:

Edited by cd1

"The Bills should be willing to take a step back and find a real franchise QB in the draft. If McDermott is such a smart guy, he should recognize that and want to build a real contender."

"A little humility might be in order."

Media gonna media.

Cue the DC Tombot on Sully.

Tyrod:

62.6% cmp

6,058 yds

7.42 ypa

37 TD

12 INT

Brady:

62.8% cmp

6,607 yds

6.52 ypa

46 TD

26 INT

This is a really good post. Too much factual information for most, dont you know better? :lol: