Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

you are right because brees, flutie, and the host of other 6'1 qbs grew.

your right yet there teams still didnt win because qb winz arent a stat.

Go watch Drew Brees in the pocket. He stands on his toes and tilts his head back in a painful looking way. Taylor hops around like Peter Cottontail then bolts for the nearest escape. They are nothing alike.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30-40 million he is not just hanging out. He is the guy for two years and they need to design a running offense around him. Tyrod is not anywhere near other QB not named Brady and Rodgers. I don't get why you keep saying that. Bills won by restricting passes Tyrod threw. Other team QB's have to carry their teams.

Tyrod cannot make every NFL throw and can't win by passing the ball. You have to design a run-heavy gimmick offense to keep defenses honest and it can work. I see the Tyrod led defense as the Miami Dolphins with their wild cat they ran. It is hard to stop for NFL teams because they don't see it but it's not how you build a winning team. It's a tactic, not a long term strategy that you pay 30-40 million for.

Incorrect........Roman's offense was always a run based offense...... Tyrod assimilated into it after training to be a pro style under-center QB for the previous 8 seasons.

They will run Dennison's offense and if Tyrod is retained he will run it as he was trained to do in Baltimore.

They may call more deep passes than they could in Denver with the weaker armed trio of Manning, Osweiler and Siemien but they won't be designing some wildcat offense as you suspect. :doh:

And the Bills didn't win the games they did by simply restricting passes Tyrod threw.........they were GASHING teams on the ground........and scoring points.

You make it sound like Jauron or Marrone year 1 where they were running the ball to burn clock and were satisfied with a league average ypc as long as they ran the ball more than anyone else.

Again.........when you score the 6th most TD's in the league the amount of TD's you could have reasonably "passed" for in addition to that is not a high number.........especially when the receiving corps is VERY weak.

Incorrect........Roman's offense was always a run based offense...... Tyrod assimilated into it after training to be a pro style under-center QB for the previous 8 seasons.

They will run Dennison's offense and if Tyrod is retained he will run it as he was trained to do in Baltimore.

They may call more deep passes than they could in Denver with the weaker armed trio of Manning, Osweiler and Siemien but they won't be designing some wildcat offense as you suspect. :doh:

And the Bills didn't win the games they did by simply restricting passes Tyrod threw.........they were GASHING teams on the ground........and scoring points.

You make it sound like Jauron or Marrone year 1 where they were running the ball to burn clock and were satisfied with a league average ypc as long as they ran the ball more than anyone else.

Again.........when you score the 6th most TD's in the league the amount of TD's you could have reasonably "passed" for in addition to that is not a high number.........especially when the receiving corps is VERY weak.

idk about 8 seasons. He was drafted in '11, and I can promise you VT was not training him to be a pro. Our offensive staff during that era was exactly that. Offensive :sick:

you are right because brees, flutie, and the host of other 6'1 qbs grew.

your right yet there teams still didnt win because qb winz arent a stat.

So Brees is the norm? At least Brees does what he can to look over the middle. Tyrod doesn't even bother. Who are the other "hosts" of 6'1 QBS? Flutie was a cup of tea. Please don't reference him for defending height.

Edited by Deceptikhans

If the Bills pay Tyrod 30-40 million he is not just hanging out. He is the guy for two years and they need to design a running offense around him. Tyrod is not anywhere near other QB not named Brady and Rodgers. I don't get why you keep saying that. Bills won by restricting passes Tyrod threw. Other team QB's have to carry their teams.

Tyrod cannot make every NFL throw and can't win by passing the ball. You have to design a run-heavy gimmick offense to keep defenses honest and it can work. I see the Tyrod led defense as the Miami Dolphins with their wild cat they ran. It is hard to stop for NFL teams because they don't see it but it's not how you build a winning team. It's a tactic, not a long term strategy that you pay 30-40 million for.

We can't win the division anyway over that time frame - so keep trying to find the guy. If the coaching staff believes they can win with him, then keep him. If you believe he can improve, then keep him. I think it would hurt more to see him succeed elsewhere than it would for him to fail here. Our fanbase is used to failure at this point.

However much money we pay him does not prohibit the team from continuing to search for a QB, nor does it prohibit us from drafting someone in the first this year or next. We also drafted a project QB who could benefit from valuable reps that he won't get as a scout team QB. If you care to see whether Cardale's abilities can transition into an NFL offense, you have to give him more reps and responsibility.

I know the anti-Tyrod people hate this perspective, but to me its the unfortunate truth. We cannot win the division, and we aren't currently positioned to bottom out (bad contracts can't be terminated yet). Why not try to make the playoffs the next couple of years with the guys you got, and give this team and it's fans a small win with a playoff game (even if it will 100% be an away game).

This is my take and trying to make it as realistic a take as possible. I'm sick of stupid Russ Brandon "splashes", and trying to sell tickets. Just get the best team together that you can and try and win.

I don't need stat or height comparison's to make this judgement. It just seems like the locker room is behind the guy, and McDermott seems to have a good head on his shoulders. This probably gives him the best chance to burst that playoff bubble (as soon as possible) that has been hanging over our collective heads for the last 17 years.

Edited by dneveu

Mentioning TT in the same discussion with Drew Brees to make whatever point you want to make about TT makes little sense and offers little to the discussion. Whether Brees plays on a team that wins 4 games a year for five consecutive years doesn't tell you much how good Brees really is. Watch how he plays the position? That's where the focus of comparison between the players should be.

Brees can read defenses, can make throws in the middle of the field, has impeccable accuracy, has a feel for the pocket. Now compare those categories to how TT plays. It is like comparing an adult to a child.

What it comes down to for this woebegone franchise is what are your goals? What difference does it make whether you have one particular limited qb to another limited qb who is cheaper? I'm not overly concerned about the options because there isn't much difference between them.

As K-9 has stated in multiple posts it's not as if TT is being judged as if this is a hypothetical theory; he is being judged on actual performances over two years. What is most telling (at least to me) is that there wasn't much progression to his game in the second season. What you see is what you get----and it isn't something to get excited about.

I'm sure you are tired of me repeating what I have already stated. Whether the organization decides to keep TT or not is not really consequential. He is the caliber of qb that gets you nowhere meaningful. He is the caliber of qb who the coaches spend more time working around his limitations rather than utilizing his more positive skills.

The most important issue for this organization is who is going to be the future franchise qb. Even the TT advocates acknowledge that he is simply a bridge qb at best. What does that say about the caliber of qb he is?

Posts like this are the reason why I'm glad to be here.

idk about 8 seasons. He was drafted in '11, and I can promise you VT was not training him to be a pro. Our offensive staff during that era was exactly that. Offensive :sick:

He was operating out of a pro style offense though......not some spread attack.

That aspect is so valued on draft day now that even sub-division stiffs get looks from scouts if they took snaps under center.

And if you saw that article about Taylor from Cover 1 recently.......he was actually calling the protections for his line even at VA Tech.

The notion that he is some spread-wildcat-only QB is incorrect.

And fwiw, Ozzie Newsome kept him as his primary backup QB in a conventional drop-back offense for 4 years...........I tend to trust him a bit more than Whaley.

He was operating out of a pro style offense though......not some spread attack.

That aspect is so valued on draft day now that even sub-division stiffs get looks from scouts if they took snaps under center.

And if you saw that article about Taylor from Cover 1 recently.......he was actually calling the protections for his line even at VA Tech.

The notion that he is some spread-wildcat-only QB is incorrect.

And fwiw, Ozzie Newsome kept him as his primary backup QB in a conventional drop-back offense for 4 years...........I tend to trust him a bit more than Whaley.

I know what he was asked to do. The problem is that the people teaching him were inept. His progression took a major uptick when he got a few WCO tips from Mike and then went through his time behind Flacco.

I know what he was asked to do. The problem is that the people teaching him were inept. His progression took a major uptick when he got a few WCO tips from Mike and then went through his time behind Flacco.

No question.......I thought he sucked at Va Tech and wouldn't have used a draft pick of any kind on him.

Totally different player now. Worked for it.

JohnC is the best. Always bringing solid content.

Do you want to know where you won't find solid content? The Bills organization. Wretched systemic mediocrity that passes through the generations. It's so sad. :sick:

Yup.

And only like 15 NFL caliber players under contract.

I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. For that reason I don't see the point in throwing away a pick on a QB when there are so many other quality players available who can become legit building blocks for this franchise for the next 5+ years.

I'd love to see the Bills cut Taylor, cut McCoy, cut Kyle and trade Watkins. Commit to being one of the 2-3 worse teams in the NFL next year while clearing a boat load of cap space, and then go all in on a legit blue chip QB prospect next year. If there isn't one available, commit to being really bad yet again and draft a guy in 2019.

Get a skill position player this year and find your QB next year or the year after. Don't repeat all the same mistakes we made in 2013 when we talked ourselves into picking EJ because we were so desperate for a QB.

I am not capologist, and neither are you. I will take an expensive franchise QB, and let the guys paid the big bucks to fill out the rest of the roster. I am not sure how other teams with 20+ million QBs are doing it.. It's the wrong way in your book.

So Brees is the norm? At least Brees does what he can to look over the middle. Tyrod doesn't even bother. Who are the other "hosts" of 6'1 QBS? Flutie was a cup of tea. Please don't reference him for defending height.

Brees rodgers dalton wilson all 6'2 or under. Taylor is 6'1 cmon man enough with this too short jargon.

Posts like this are the reason why I'm glad to be here.

Good the only thing I did was suggest how stupid it was to state emphatically that height prohibits Taylor. It clearly doesnt. Glad that your new found friend went to the extreme and state that I compared any of Taylors stats as a qb to Brees as a qb. I just explained how ridiculous it is to say that Taylor is too short. If he was too short he would never have made an NFL team at all as a qb. Much less in demand by teams period.

The Jets are keeping a close eye on the Tyrod Taylor situation with the Bills

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-keeping-close-eye-tyrod-taylor-situation-bills-article-1.2989693

"Taylor has run for 1,148 yards and 10 touchdowns in his two seasons as an NFL starter. He's completed 62.3 percent of his passes with a 92.3 passer rating. He's not Brady or Rodgers, but he's good enough for a team desperately looking to solve their most maddening problem."

I'll bet there are other NFL teams besides the Browns are taking a long look at a QB who isn't a turnover machine and can make plays with his legs like Taylor. That 2016 Buffalo Bills 19th ranked in total defense, 29th against the run was a big reason why the team went 7-9 in my view. Taylor wasn't the biggest problem with this team the last two years. Get him a solid option at WR like Williams or Davis who might stay healthy for the season and then see what the QB looks like.

Edited by Nihilarian