Mike Gillisllee - Combine News

Fixxxer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all makes sense, with sources deep within saying LeSean McCoy will no longer be a Buffalo Bill... :P

i don't have a positive feeling from the initial rumors of what he would be signed for...I tend to follow the WWPD (What would Patriots do) model...i can't see the Pats tying that much money into the RB position when you can get comparable talent in the middle rounds...on the surface, it just doesn't sound like smart business, imo...remember, Shady is the highest paid RB in the game...I would rather the Bills give Gilly the 2nd round tag and see what happens...part of me feels if they give him the big extension, it could come back to haunt the Bills like all their other ill-conceived big contracts...maybe I'm wrong...we shall see...

Edited by JaCrispy

i don't have a positive feeling from the initial rumors of what he would be signed for...I tend to follow the WWPD (What would Patriots do) model...i can't see the Pats tying that much money into the RB position when you can get comparable talent in the middle rounds...on the surface, it just doesn't sound like smart business, imo...remember, Shady is the highest paid RB in the game...I would rather the Bills give Gilly the 2nd round tag and see what happens...part of me feels if they give him the big extension, it could come back to haunt the Bills like all their other ill-conceived big contracts...maybe I'm wrong...we shall see...

We cant follow the patriots model because we dont have Tom Brady

and Tom Brady is not in this draft

Fournette with a 4.51 40, at 240 lbs! Wow, that's fast.

Cook had a 4.5 40

I'm surprised those times are almost identical. I could be wrong (my wife will confirm this), but I'd take Cook first. He seems more versatile with better quickness and lateral movement. So, with that said, Fournette is a virtual HOF lock. (Full disclosure, I had a son at FSU so saw a ton of Cook, but may also be biased by his bias.)

Re-signing him wouldn't be a mistake, but I don't think it should be a high priority.

In my mind it depends on if they plan to keep Shady beyond next year (and it may be an indication of their plans). RB these days shouldn't have to eat up too much cap space.

We cant follow the patriots model because we dont have Tom Brady

and Tom Brady is not in this draft

While I understand that we don't have Tom Brady, I feel there is something to be said for the Bills poor handling of the cap without being a playoff team or having a franchise QB...I guess until the Bills show they know how to manage a team, I will, unfortunately, be skeptical of the big contracts they hand out...don't get me wrong, I love me some Gilly...but combining that contract with that of Shady just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

While I understand that we don't have Tom Brady, I feel there is something to be said for the Bills poor handling of the cap without being a playoff team or having a franchise QB...I guess until the Bills show they know how to manage a team, I will, unfortunately, be skeptical of the big contracts they hand out...don't get me wrong, I love me some Gilly...but combining that contract with that of Shady just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm also concerned about their cap management skills, but if a Gillislee deal means they will save big on Shady after this year, maybe that indicates some hope of enlightenment? I'm an optimist in many way.

I'm also concerned about their cap management skills, but if a Gillislee deal means they will save big on Shady after this year, maybe that indicates some hope of enlightenment? I'm an optimist in many way.

This is actually a good point...if it means the Bills may be turning a corner by actually planning for the future, I'm certainly open to the idea...I certainly wish I had your optimistic outlook...unfortunately Whaley has caused me view everything as "glass half empty"...but I'm hopeful that people can change.

Reports are coming out saying Gillislee might get $4 to $5 mil/year.

Seems awfully expensive for a backup running back when your starter makes over $8 mil/year.

That would essentially make him a top ten paid running back

Gillislee could start for about a dozen teams in the NFL.

He's a punishing between the tackles runner, has speed to take it to the house, is a capable receiver out of the backfield and can pass protect.

He'd upgrade a lot of teams' rushing attack. He's more than just a good backup and we'll have to pay accordingly to keep him long term.

+1.

Yes. Im a Pats fan. Grew up and live in RI. I also pay close attention to the Bills. I watch every game, I also think the Bills probably have the most individual talent in the division

Welcome. It is a testament to this board that there are several others who like you are fans of other teams, Evan rivals, who frequent this board for healthy discourse. Don't be a butt and you'll be fine.

I see on this discussion reference to how BB would handle this. My guess would be he would tender him at yhe 2.8 2nd round tender and he would definitely cut McCoy. Brady or not yhere is no way he would keep him at an 8 mil cap hit

+1.

The "he's a nice change of pace" stuff is laughable.

He's just as big of a threat to break a long run, scores more TD's per touch, gets more yards per touch, he's far bigger and more physical and less likely to produce negative plays and great in short yardage........no dropoff in the pass game either.

It's not thunder and lighting.......he is a very well rounded back.....not a change of pace.......... just a really good player that should fit great in Dennison's system.

My opinion is that Tyrod adds A TON to both backs numbers but MG is a very good RB and should get a tender that will cost a team a pick to sign him.

That said......he's just a RB.....get another good year out of him and draft a guy late(Mixon?) to hopefully replace he and McCoy in 2018.

His efficiency on 3rd and short and 4th and short has been outstanding. He's the perfect complimentary back to Shady, who is getting long in the tooth for RBs, and more prone to injury due to age and miles. Locking up Gillislee for several years is a no brainer IMO. Back load the contract to save on cap space now, and once Shady is done/gone, then Gillislee gets fair compensation based on increased workload.

I will say that I am biased, but I would love for him to remain a Bill for years to come.

I like Gillislee, but I don't think he's irreplaceable. I'd slap the 2nd round tender on him & be fine with whichever way it went. I think McCoy's contract is such that it doesn't make financial sense to dump him until 2019, so it's probably a bit early for that part of the plan.

Great news. I'm hoping he can finish his career in Buffalo as well. This beast of a RB could start on many teams right now IMO and is an excellent RB to have behind McCoy. This guy does nothing but hit the hole hard and rack up yards and score TDs. ****, he's pretty damn solid at picking up pressure too. Great player to have and IMO we are lucky to have him.