Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

Chargers are in a bad way with their cap. They had only an estimated $5million to spend with a draft class that would put close to $7 million on the books. Fluker has been a bust, Stevie is coming off a major injury and can be easily replaced in this wr heavy draft class and Flowers hasn't been the CB they need nor expected when they signed him. All smart cuts. All that being said, I want none of them in a Bills uniform next season.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole frustration with whaley is that he didn't draft qb x. Most of them were not available. And the rest other teams passed on, too. Dak Prescott was not and still not proven. Other fa's in the past that folks liked or traded qbs. Foles, meh Cassel, Minnesota qb, etc... are no better and do no more for us than taylor

Chargers are in a bad way with their cap. They had only an estimated $5million to spend with a draft class that would put close to $7 million on the books. Fluker has been a bust, Stevie is coming off a major injury and can be easily replaced in this wr heavy draft class and Flowers hasn't been the CB they need nor expected when they signed him. All smart cuts. All that being said, I want none of them in a Bills uniform next season.

yep, they cleared about 19 mill in cap

Whaley has done an admirable job of adding talent to the roster. He's hit on a lot of his draft picks and our talent level has risen dramatically under his watch. My major point is between Tyrod - Clay - Kyle - Graham - Aaron Williams we have A LOT of money tied up in guys who haven't gotten us to the playoffs and likely won't be here when we do make it. We let Gilmore walk because of that situation and now need to use a high draft pick to replace him instead of addressing some holes like RT and WR, not to mention finding long term replacements for the safeties or Kyle. My major point is "depth" isn't what is separating us from the playoffs and signing 2-3 guys combined for what Gilmore would cost us on the tag isn't closing the gap, especially if it's guys like Kamar Aiken and Jack Crawford (perfectly fine players, but not well above replacement level). Best case we find Zach Brown 2.0 who is just going to walk after a strong season or worst case we sign Chris Williams and light money on fire.

We let a guy walk who could be a key member of the team for the next 3+ seasons because we've got money tied up on guys who won't be. The major sin by Whaley (and it's one that may have been done too him instead of by him) is switching schemes from coaches twice in the last three years and creating a moving target on what talent we do need. We've been pressing with an "all in" approach the last 3 seasons and Gilmore is the first major casualty to go. We are going to reach a point soon where we need to reset anyway, I just would have preferred it was done with a guy who could have still been around when we found a solution instead of guys who won't be.

I get what you're saying regarding AW, Graham and even TT. Kyle is a little different considering that he's still a great player and a future wall of famer. TT is the QB that gives us the best chance to win this season. If we don't care about 2017, then we cut TT and Kyle. Doesn't look like McD wants to let go of his best QB and a pro bowl DT for the sake of overpaying Gilmore. Regardless of which players will be there when we make the playoffs, our FO isn't looking to throw in the towel in 2017 so we can build for the future. I'd be all for throwing in the towel and building for the future, but I can understand why we wouldn't do that.

Regarding the statement of letting Gilmore go and now we have to use a high pick on a CB, it's all about allocating resources at his point. If we keep Gilmore, we'd have almost no money and not enough picks to sign RT, WR x2, safety (maybe x2), LB (maybe times x2) and all of our depth. Letting Gilmore go, we'll likely have to draft a Cb in the first 3 rds, but we can use that cap space to sign 2-3 other positions of need. Sometimes a team has to take a loss at one position in order to take a few steps forward across the board.

I thought Chargers or Rams would be Woods landing spot.

If I were Lynn I'd be salivating thinking about the weapons at his disposal on offense and a legit Top 10 QB to throw them the ball.

Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Tyrell Williams, Dontelle Inman, Hunter Henry and Gates. I don't think they'll be pursuing Woods, IMO.

If I were Lynn I'd be salivating thinking about the weapons at his disposal on offense and a legit Top 10 QB to throw them the ball.

Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Tyrell Williams, Dontelle Inman, Hunter Henry and Gates. I don't think they'll be pursuing Woods, IMO.

If i were Lynn id worry about how they went 5-11 last yr with so many weapons.

@4joshreed

Told that #Chargers are interested in #Bills WR Robert Woods. makes sense with ties to A-Lynn. Woods is great run blocker and went to USC

Perfect fit

He's the sort of guy that Rivers can make a star.

@marcsesslerNFL

.@MikeSilver tells @NFLNetwork 'it's more likely than not that Kirk Cousins ends up being the 49ers quarterback.'

I just don't get this. Who will Washington play at QB? They have no one behind Cousins, right?

I just don't get this. Who will Washington play at QB? They have no one behind Cousins, right?

Colt McCoy or maybe they want Cutler. Their GM has been told to go home and not come back so not sure ...

They can't seriously consider that unless they have someone (i.e. Trubisky) that they LOVE at the top of the draft.