Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

People can crack all the jokes they want about the Skins, but this offense was loaded at the skill positions with one of the best LTs in the league. They see Cousins and McCoy in practice every day. If they see there's not a major difference between what Cousins gives them vs what they would get from McCoy, it's reasonable to hold off making him one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the league long term. Especially if they have Shanahan Jr. salivating over him loaded up with prime draft capital to trade.

Agreed. He's similar to Andy dalton imo. Good enough to get you to the playoffs but far from a SB QB unless they surround him with upper echelon talent, which will be hard to do if they pay him 22+ mill a year long term. I'd trade him if I were them.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they won't marry Kirk they are going to be really disappointed when they jump back into the dating pool. Not that I think he is great but he is certainly capable of putting dinner on the table. Lots of these QB's out here can't cook and won't even wash the dishes after you do the cooking!

You may well be right. The Skins are in a very similar dilemma to the Bills right now actually. If they see a QB worth taking at the top of the draft, I would not be surprised to see Cousins to SF as has been speculated with the Skins trying on another QB for the franchise label.

People can crack all the jokes they want about the Skins, but this offense was loaded at the skill positions with one of the best LTs in the league. They see Cousins and McCoy in practice every day. If they see there's not a major difference between what Cousins gives them vs what they would get from McCoy, it's reasonable to hold off making him one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the league long term. Especially if they have Shanahan Jr. salivating over him loaded up with prime draft capital to trade.

Problem for them this year is that their two top WRs are free agents. They have a good starting TE but little depth behind him. Some offensive rebuilding is in the cards. Another reason to dump Cousins if they can get something for him.

Derrell Revis at safety????? Why not? Only at a good price.

There's very little incentive for him to play this year due to the offset language in his contract. Basically he's going to get paid $6 mil this year regardless of if he plays or not from the Jets but the first $6 mil of a new deal would offset what the Jets are going to pay him, so in order to get monitory incentive he'd need to make north of $6 mil, which may be unlikely to happen.

You may well be right. The Skins are in a very similar dilemma to the Bills right now actually. If they see a QB worth taking at the top of the draft, I would not be surprised to see Cousins to SF as has been speculated with the Skins trying on another QB for the franchise label.

Problem for them this year is that their two top WRs are free agents. They have a good starting TE but little depth behind him. Some offensive rebuilding is in the cards. Another reason to dump Cousins if they can get something for him.

I feel that the skins are fine. Yeh Garcon is good but they drafted Doctson in the 1st round last yr and hes a big target at 6'4 whatever he is. Crowder looks very good. They can draft a WR in the middle rounds or pay for a lower tier WR for depth. And of course they still have Reed who is a stud. Dumping Cousins will be a mistake. They need to fix that defense and learn how to run the ball more effectively. Edited by bobobonators

I feel that the skins are fine. Yeh Garcon is good but they drafted Doctson in the 1st round last yr and hes a big target at 6'4 whatever he is. Crowder looks very good. They can draft a WR in the middle rounds or pay for a lower tier WR for depth. And of course they still have Reed who is a stud. Dumping Cousins will be a mistake. They need to fix that defense and learn how to run the ball more effectively.

Hard to say that it would be a mistake if they get a 1st rd pick for cousins and if they draft the QB prospect that they think fits their system the best. They save 20 mill dollars to help fix the D and have a QB under contract for 4 years at little cost. If said QB didn't pan out. Then they made a mistake, but we won't know that for a few years. As is, the redskins aren't a super bowl contender imo. Not even close. It'll be a lot easier to build up the defense if they don't have to pay cousins. Makes a lot of sense imo.....as long as they have confidence in one of these QBs in the draft or if somehow McCoy turns out to be a solid replacement for cousins. I'm in the opinion that cousins is just a little bit better than above average QB. Extending him will be costly

Hard to say that it would be a mistake if they get a 1st rd pick for cousins and if they draft the QB prospect that they think fits their system the best. They save 20 mill dollars to help fix the D and have a QB under contract for 4 years at little cost. If said QB didn't pan out. Then they made a mistake, but we won't know that for a few years. As is, the redskins aren't a super bowl contender imo. Not even close. It'll be a lot easier to build up the defense if they don't have to pay cousins. Makes a lot of sense imo.....as long as they have confidence in one of these QBs in the draft or if somehow McCoy turns out to be a solid replacement for cousins. I'm in the opinion that cousins is just a little bit better than above average QB. Extending him will be costly

I couldnt disagree more about just a bit more than avg. Cousins went on an absolutely insane run the second half of 2015 - his numbers in the second half were other worldly.

He followed up 2015 by passing for just under 5000 yds and a 2:1 TD/int ratio while completing 67% of his passes.

He ranked 3rd in passing yards, top 10 in completion %, and 3rd in yards per attempt. Hes 28. Just entering his prime.

The standards of what an avg, good, or really good QB on this board is a little perplexing. Just my opinion.

To think that they can just draft his replacement that easily is extremely misleading.

Edited by bobobonators

I couldnt disagree more about just a bit more than avg. Cousins went on an absolutely insane run the second half of 2015 - his numbers in the second half were other worldly.

He followed up 2015 by passing for just under 5000 yds and a 2:1 TD/int ratio while completing 67% of his passes.

He ranked 3rd in passing yards, top 10 in completion %, and 3rd in yards per attempt. Hes 28. Just entering his prime.

The standards of what an avg, good, or really good QB on this board is a little perplexing. Just my opinion.

To think that they can just draft his replacement that easily is extremely misleading.

Sure his overall passing numbers were great, but did you happen to look at how he fared in the red zone, which is what matters most imo. The skins were 3rd worst in the league in red zone rd% trailing only the jets and the Texans....2 teams with horrible QBs. They scored tds on 45%. The top 10 teams were all above 64%.

When I watch cousins play, I see a good QB. I also see a very nice passing system. They run a lot of pick plays and run routes and guys are running wide open. Statistically cousins had a very good season. A lot of the success he had was due to the play calling imo. I'm a big fan of jay grudens offense. Andy dalton had similar success in Cinci. Not as prolific statically, but his efficiency was nearly as good. I think cousins is better than dalton, but I would be skeptical of him ever leading a team to a title unless he had a great defense....which will be hard to build considering his contract.

Boom--my guy since December

Yep, you called it.

No matter how many times we hear that there aren't enough good safeties to go around..........serviceable starters just keep showing up in FA because it's a sound place to cut salary.

Last year Weddle and Reggie Nelson were FA's and became pro bowlers........it's still a good free agent shopping position.

Boom--my guy since December

Bethea looked to still have a lot in the tank last year. Looks like the niners want to move Jimmie ward to FS with Tartt playing SS, hence bethea exit (along with the cap space). He'd be a fine addition, even if it's only for a year or two.