Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't seriously consider that unless they have someone (i.e. Trubisky) that they LOVE at the top of the draft.

Well they can't tag Cousins again and perhaps they aren't sold enough to give him the deal he wants so they may as well trade him now while they have the option.

Well they can't tag Cousins again and perhaps they aren't sold enough to give him the deal he wants so they may as well trade him now while they have the option.

not sure who is making the decisions over there right now...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/07/scot-mccloughan-not-at-redskins-park-for-start-of-free-agent-negotiations/?utm_term=.42fd506c48f2

They can't seriously consider that unless they have someone (i.e. Trubisky) that they LOVE at the top of the draft.

All offseason. someone in the 'Skins front office has made public that Colt McCoy could do nearly as good a job as Cousins...while they look for another QB.

Edited by zow2

It actually amazes me how dysfunctional the Skins appear to be from the outside. They have a great young QB, elite TE, some nice young WR in crowder and doctson. And they are seemingly messing everything up by screwing around with Cousins.

Years of throwing money around to other teams players and now they refuse to throw money at their own young QB that can keep them in the playoffs for the next 8yrs. Amazing.

It actually amazes me how dysfunctional the Skins appear to be from the outside. They have a great young QB, elite TE, some nice young WR in crowder and doctson. And they are seemingly messing everything up by screwing around with Cousins.

Years of throwing money around to other teams players and now they refuse to throw money at their own young QB that can keep them in the playoffs for the next 8yrs. Amazing.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that Cousins and the agent had to have said something about never signing there? Maybe he took last year personal and is going to continue to hold their feet to the fire until he finally gets out of there. Edited by Commonsense

Only thing that makes sense to me is that Cousins and the agent had to have said something about never signing there? Maybe he took last year personal and is going to continue to hold their feet to the fire until he finally gets out of there.

You may be right. Bc it makes zero sense.

@rapsheet

The #Rams are in discussions with several teams about potentially trading franchised CB Trumaine Johnson, per teams involved. Big domino.

But wait, I was just told Gilmore would be worthless in a trade on the franchise tag.....

What don't you guys understand about a salary cap? We have 20+ mill cap room and everyone insists it's a ridiculous move by to let Gilmore go. Let me guess....you hate Whaley? We have 22+ free agents. We just cut 3 people yesterday. How do you expect we replace these 25 players if we use over half of our cap room on Gilmore?

Maybe we could've gotten a 7th rd pick for Gilmore if we franchised him. Not sure why anytime would give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick in what might be the best CB class ever for the rights to pay Gilmore 15+ a yr when they can just sign him next year or draft a cb this year while paying him 900k....and there's a chance the cb they draft isn't afraid to tackle.

Yes, it sucks to let good players leave and get nothing in return. I get it. Losing Byrd, Levotre, Searcy really ruined our team didn't it? Imagine if we had paid Byrd and Levitre the ransom they were asking for? Byrd was a multiple pro bowler and actually may have been top 5 at his position. Gilmore had never been top 5 and imo isn't worth the money he's asking for. spendijg over half of our cap room on a top 15 cb while we have to fill 25+ spots is asinine imo

The problem is a lot of these homegrown players that we drafted who end up being good but not great. Gilmore and Woods are good players but they're not great players nor do they warrant that high of a salary. And in a couple years we may have to make another difficult decision on Sammy Watkins. Will he be worth what he'll ask for? In the case of Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus we just simply blew it and overpaid. If you're going to drop 100 million dollars on an NFL football player he sure as heck better be behind Center.

Right. There's a few players every year that play beyond their experience tho. Hooker prob wont last past the Chargers.

Hooker and Adams will be long gone by 10. I love Obi and we still don't know what will happen to Aaron and Graham?

The problem is a lot of these homegrown players that we drafted who end up being good but not great. Gilmore and Woods are good players but they're not great players nor do they warrant that high of a salary. And in a couple years we may have to make another difficult decision on Sammy Watkins. Will he be worth what he'll ask for? In the case of Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus we just simply blew it and overpaid. If you're going to drop 100 million dollars on an NFL football player he sure as heck better be behind Center.

I agree with everything said. I pray we don't pay Gilmore 14+ per year. He's not worth it imo and would cripple us cap wise. Thanks for your service Gilmore. Good luck to ya.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that Cousins and the agent had to have said something about never signing there? Maybe he took last year personal and is going to continue to hold their feet to the fire until he finally gets out of there.

Cousins has consistently said he is content in playing for the franchise tag and has no real interest in a long term deal. This is just about money, not really about wanting to be with the Skins or not. With two years of franchise tag he will have made $44m guaranteed, and still will have the option of signing long term next year, assuming he does not blow up his career or suffer a major injury. He is taking some chance here, but also getting paid a ton, well above his real value IMO. He would give the Skins a shot at signing him next year when he will be after the long term deal, but he will ultimately be a free agent. From the Skins perspective, they have their doubts if he is the long term answer and probably do not really want to pay him $24m this year with so many holes to fill, and no guarantee beyond this year.

For what it is worth, many Washington fans, and some in the organization, are not sold on Cousins. He has his moments, but he is certainly not elite.

Edited by MDFan

Cousins has consistently said he is content in playing for the franchise tag and has no real interest in a long term deal. This is just about money, not really about wanting to be with the Skins or not. With two years of franchise tag he will have made $44m guaranteed, and still will have the option of signing long term next year, assuming he does not blow up his career or suffer a major injury. He is taking some chance here, but also getting paid a ton, well above his real value IMO. He would give the Skins a shot at signing him next year when he will be after the long term deal, but he will ultimately be a free agent. From the Skins perspective, they have their doubts if he is the long term answer and probably do not really want to pay him $24m this year with so many holes to fill, and no guarantee beyond this year.

For what it is worth, many Washington fans, and some in the organization, are not sold on Cousins. He has his moments, but he is certainly not elite.

If they won't marry Kirk they are going to be really disappointed when they jump back into the dating pool. Not that I think he is great but he is certainly capable of putting dinner on the table. Lots of these QB's out here can't cook and won't even wash the dishes after you do the cooking!

People can crack all the jokes they want about the Skins, but this offense was loaded at the skill positions with one of the best LTs in the league. They see Cousins and McCoy in practice every day. If they see there's not a major difference between what Cousins gives them vs what they would get from McCoy, it's reasonable to hold off making him one of the 10 highest paid QBs in the league long term. Especially if they have Shanahan Jr. salivating over him loaded up with prime draft capital to trade.