The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

WHEN AYN RAND NOVELS BECOME OUR LIVED REALITY: 

NPR decides that now is a good time to showcase an author of a book called “In Defense of Looting.” 

NPR’s Report starts: “In the past months of demonstrations for Black lives, there has been a lot of hand-wringing about looting.”

Handwringing? :wacko:

UPDATE (FROM GLENN): Dear Looters: Feel free to visit NPR Headquarters in DC!

Not Trump, buuut...

Clinton judge. He dismissed the case, appeals court sent it back to him, and now he is letting  it move forward...

The editorial referred to a January 2011 shooting where six people died and Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was seriously wounded, and said Palin's political action committee had before that shooting circulated a map that put 20 Democrats including Giffords under "stylized cross hairs."

Sarah Palin can sue New York Times for defamation: court ruling

A federal judge on Friday rejected the New York Times' bid to dismiss Sarah Palin's defamation lawsuit over a 2017 editorial she said falsely linked her to a mass shooting.

U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff in Manhattan said that while much of Palin's case was circumstantial, it was strong enough for a jury to find the Times and former editorial page editor James Bennet acted with "actual malice by clear and convincing evidence." in publishing the editorial.

Rakoff scheduled a Feb. 1, 2021 trial.

</snip>

3 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

In order for people to be compelled to self-reflect they must first be made to question whether or not they are right or wrong. The biggest problem, the most dangerous problem, of living in bifurcated realities as we are/have been doing for the past several years is that no one questions if they're right. They believe they're right because their chosen echo chambers reinforce that idea daily/hourly -- this cuts across the partisan aisle of course. 

I just had a lunch conversation with my lady about what happened in WI. She kept saying, about the 17 year old, "he just shot into a crowd"... even after I explained (and showed her) the video that shows he clearly did not just "shoot into a crowd" and was in fact defending his very life after trying to disengage from the fracus. The conversation moved on, and a few minutes later circled back to that topic and again she just said reflexively "he shot into a crowd". She's a very intelligent woman, deeply passionate and caring -- yet because her media sources drilled that into her head, it's still her go-to reflex when discussing the topic. 

Bifurcated realities: both seem legitimate to those living in them, but in the end only one can survive. 

That's what the next few months (years) will be all about -- for better or worse.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: 

It's all fun and games until one side realizes the other hasn't even begun to fight yet.

I sincerely hope it does not come to this. I would hope that these dip**** mayors and governors ask the feds for help and allow the city police forces to actually do their jobs instead of issuing stand-down orders. I know, I know, dreamland.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I sincerely hope it does not come to this. I would hope that these dip**** mayors and governors ask the feds for help and allow the city police forces to actually do their jobs instead of issuing stand-down orders. I know, I know, dreamland.

Unfortunately I think we've long since passed the point of no return as you fear. Pick a side, this is coming to everyone's front door eventually. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: 

It's all fun and games until one side realizes the other hasn't even begun to fight yet.

I have said this a few times but Rubin makes it necessary to repeat- the conservatives have 80% of the military and cops and 90% of the hunters. If this goes badly the conservative base is much better prepared to win. What is wrong with this women that she feels it is ok to write this?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The New York Times on Trial

New York Sun, by Editorial

Original Article

History, we like to say, has a way of playing tricks on all of us. Just as Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland was blaming President Trump for the murder of a right wing protester in Oregon’s leading city, the New York Times was preparing to stand trial in federal court on a libel complaint brought by — wait for it — Sarah Palin. It could prove illuminating for all those who are recklessly accusing their foes of being a party to violence. Mrs. Palin, the former governor of Alaska, sued the Times for an editorial suggesting that advertisement put out by a Palin political committee

• Thank you (+1) 1