The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

5 hours ago, Buddo said:

Wonder what that score would be if it was done again? You know, after the sh1t has hit the fan.

This isn't some sort of fantasy football. It's real and happening. I seriously doubt there are many countries worldwide, that actually 'measure up', when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.

Regardless, we're the best, eh? Doesn't matter whether we're the largest giant in the land of giants or the biggest midget in the land of midgets, we're still the best. It doesn't mean that we can't do better or shouldn't strive to do better, it simply means that we are the best, even from your viewpoint on a really short grandstand. 

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The Office of the President of the United States does not have total authority over this situation, regardless of what any sitting President says “is the way it’s gotta be”.

He has next to no authority.

And if he insists he does, and acts, he should be impeached for gross breach of his Constitutional authorities.

National emergency act. All states now have a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buddo said:

This isn't some sort of fantasy football. It's real and happening. I seriously doubt there are many countries worldwide, that actually 'measure up', when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.

And, every one of those countries is Trump's fault 

The press  immediately went with "propaganda" and they seemed to love that it was a "political ad." The White House should produce one every few days just to keep them guessing when the next one will come out.

Nice thread :

And it continues. Well worth the few minutes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

National emergency act. All states now have a disaster.

The Law itself is unConstitional, as it directly affords the Executive to assume dictatorial powers per it’s own priorities and purview, nearly unrestricted.

The authority resides solely with the States.

An argument against this position is an argument that our system justly and intentionally provides the leftist-progressive wing of the Democratic Party to declare a national emergency related to climate change and unilaterally impose a Green New Deal on the country should they win the Presidency; which is an absurd proposition to make.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The Law itself is unConstitional, as it directly affords the Executive to assume dictatorial powers per it’s own priorities and purview, nearly unrestricted.

The authority resides solely with the States.

An argument against this position is an argument that our system justly and intentionally provides the leftist-progressive wing of the Democratic Party to declare a national emergency related to climate change and unilaterally impose a Green New Deal on the country should they win the Presidency; which is an absurd proposition to make.

I am not going to argue with you whether or not the law is unconstitutional. It exists. The President is the final say when it is invoked, for good or for ill.

(The Supreme Court upheld it 5-4 in July of last year when it was used during the border dispute between the President and Congress.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am not going to argue with you whether or not the law is unconstitutional or not. It exists. The President is the final say when it is invoked, for good or for ill.

This is more akin to interstate commerce. Since the virus is spread by person to person contact, it's up to the Federal Government to restrict travel from State to State.  This can only be done by keeping States under a 'soft' lockdown.  It's virtually impossible for there to be a roadside checkpoint or blockade at each State line roadway.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is more akin to interstate commerce. Since the virus is spread by person to person contact, it's up to the Federal Government to restrict travel from State to State.  This can only be done by keeping States under a 'soft' lockdown.  It's virtually impossible for there to be a roadside checkpoint or blockade at each State line roadway.

Between NY-PA I don't know that it is impossible but the resources are best used elsewhere.  Probably don't need an Allegany County Sheriff's Deputy on Rte 417 in the SW part of the county where Rte 417 skims the PA line.  Nobody out there except for the deer and the squirrels.  

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Between NY-PA I don't know that it is impossible but the resources are best used elsewhere.  Probably don't need an Allegany County Sheriff's Deputy on Rte 417 in the SW part of the county where Rte 417 skims the PA line.  Nobody out there except for the deer and the squirrels.  

The point is that the people manning the checkpoint would not be Sheriffs....but National Guard, or even US Military personnel.  But you're point is correct.  It would be virtually impossible to shut down the borders between the States.  Our road system was not designed to limit such crossings.  Therefore all the Feds can do is to 'highly recommend' that people remain in 'shut down'.

With everyone home, bored, and online, shouldn't Vox have more readers? Advertising is down (which means revenue is down) so maybe that is why they hope this is for only 3 months, they expect advertising to pick up soon?

Vox plans to announce around 100 employee furloughs later this week, hoping to avoid layoffs, sources say

</snip>

Vox is discussing three-month furloughs for employees and is focusing on employees whose coverage areas have diminished during coronavirus quarantines, said the people. Temporary three-month employee pay cuts aimed at the company’s highest earners are also being discussed, the people said. Vox also wants to ensure health care is covered for furloughed employees, one of the people said.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am not going to argue with you whether or not the law is unconstitutional. It exists. The President is the final say when it is invoked, for good or for ill.

(The Supreme Court upheld it 5-4 in July of last year when it was used during the border dispute between the President and Congress.)

Perhaps you’re comfortable living in a totalitarian state.  I am not.  By endorsing this you forfeit the right to oppose future applications by parties and ideologies you oppose.

I’ve long believed that most individuals claiming to want smaller government, and claiming to adhere to conservative principals actually want no such thing.  What they really want is to live under a monarch who happens to believe exactly as they do, and imposes his absolute will in a way they prefer.

He’s cost himself my vote, and is destroying any good will he has earned with libertarians in many cases.  I am once again returning to vocally advocating that libertarians cast protest votes in favor of Joe Biden.

The President wants to be a dictator.  I say we make him into a bird.

D74E4849-1A35-4AB7-A206-9D370984940E.jpeg

36 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Perhaps you’re comfortable living in a totalitarian state.  I am not.  By endorsing this you forfeit the right to oppose future applications by parties and ideologies you oppose.

I’ve long believed that most individuals claiming to want smaller government, and claiming to adhere to conservative principals actually want no such thing.  What they really want is to live under a monarch who happens to believe exactly as they do, and imposes his absolute will in a way they prefer.

He’s cost himself my vote, and is destroying any good will he has earned with libertarians in many cases.  I am once again returning to vocally advocating that libertarians cast protest votes in favor of Joe Biden.

Yeah, Biden is a GREAT alternative to Trump. :blink:

Oh, more on why he has the final say (I wrote this in a different thread):

National Emergencies Act. Stafford Act. Presidential Emergency Actions Documents.   Look them up... well, as far as you can. Apparently, some powers are classified. (Isn't that scary?)

What the president has the ability to do, and what he eventually does may well be two different things. But, there is no question that these acts give him the final say when a disaster is national.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
#$^* autocorrect
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yeah, Biden is a GREAT alternative to Trump. :blink:

Oh, more on why he has the final say (I wrote this in a different thread):

National Emergencies Act. Standford Act. Presidential Emergency Actions Documents.   Look them up... well, as far as you can. Apparently, some powers are classified. (Isn't that scary?)

What the president has the ability to do, and what he eventually does may well be two different things. But, there is no question that these acts give him the final say when a disaster is national.

I will not choose from the lesser of two evils.  I will sooner choose the greater evil knowing that it will much more quickly burn the whole world down.

I will not sacrifice principal and cast a ballot for a person who stresses the desire to act as an autocrat.

And yes, it is terrifying.  Far more terrifying than whatever spy apparatus exists.  The will and ability to act unilaterally with impunity is far more dangerous than anything related to subterfuge.

With the backing of the military (the group he is the figurehead for), anything the President determines to be an emergency will allow him to impose.

Global pandemic leads to compromised polling?  Emergency.  Suspend the election.

Government imposed lockdown leads to the closure of businesses and a disruption of the food supply?  Emergency.  Nationalize the means of agricultural production.

National/Global medical emergency leaves thousands of unhealthy, elderly, ect exposed to viral threat and at risk of triaged care?  Emergency.  Nationalize the Healthcare system.

Government overreach of wild proportions and sudden unprecedented consolidation of power leads to general uprisings of concerned citizens.  Emergency.  Criminalize wrongthink, disband the Second Amendment, conduct political trials of citizens.

The things you are bringing yourself to stand behind are how Venezuela got Maduro.  How Chile got Pinochet.

I’d rather burn the whole thing to the ground.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

He probably doesn't.  He probably wants somebody to say a nice thing to him, and then he'll let the governors do their jobs.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I will not choose from the lesser of two evils.  I will sooner choose the greater evil knowing that it will much more quickly burn the whole world down.

I will not sacrifice principal and cast a ballot for a person who stresses the desire to act as an autocrat.

And yes, it is terrifying.  Far more terrifying than whatever spy apparatus exists.  The will and ability to act unilaterally with impunity is far more dangerous than anything related to subterfuge.

With the backing of the military (the group he is the figurehead for), anything the President determines to be an emergency will allow him to impose.

Global pandemic leads to compromised polling?  Emergency.  Suspend the election.

Government imposed lockdown leads to the closure of businesses and a disruption of the food supply?  Emergency.  Nationalize the means of agricultural production.

National/Global medical emergency leaves thousands of unhealthy, elderly, ect exposed to viral threat and at risk of triaged care?  Emergency.  Nationalize the Healthcare system.

Government overreach of wild proportions and sudden unprecedented consolidation of power leads to general uprisings of concerned citizens.  Emergency.  Criminalize wrongthink, disband the Second Amendment, conduct political trials of citizens.

The things you are bringing yourself to stand behind are how Venezuela got Maduro.  How Chile got Pinochet.

I have no idea why you are shooting the messenger (me).  You clearly have no idea what I stand behind, what I think of this entire situation, etc as your assertions indicate.  I am bringing information forward as to why President Trump says he has the final say (because he does). This is not a power bestowed onto Trump alone, this is a power Congress bestowed upon any President. If you don't like it, consult your Congress-critter or go back in time to the 70s and 80s when those acts were written, and have them changed.

As I was saying.

Libertarian sort of voters and hard core constitutional conservatives don't like this from Trump.  People can ignore his antics and just consider it "Trump being Trump", but once he starts acting like a Monarch, his support from the Right side will begin to erode.

He needs to change tact and change quickly.

I'm guessing he will.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Have you learned nothing in the last 3 1/2 years? Trump has been on the side of the Constitution since his inauguration. Trump also uses what might be considered outrageous statements by some as a part of his negotiating process. I haven't taken any time to try to figure this out yet but I'm confident that despite his words he'll actually do the right thing. Relax.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have no idea why you are shooting the messenger (me).  You clearly have no idea what I stand behind, what I think of this entire situation, etc as your assertions indicate.  I am bringing information forward as to why President Trump says he has the final say (because he does). This is not a power bestowed onto Trump alone, this is a power Congress bestowed upon any President. If you don't like it, consult your Congress-critter or go back in time to the 70s and 80s when those acts were written, and have them changed.

I’m not trying to attack you.  I’m attacking a position that far too many “conservatives” are holding themselves to, part of which you seem to be aligning behind with your general acceptance of a law which flies in the face of federalism, liberal democracy, and self-determination.

Nine government appointed lawyers placed into lifetime positions are not oracles.  They do not determine right and wrong, and their decisions are political more often than not.  They are a part of the oppressive machinations of leviathan, and are not the bulwarks of your freedoms.  Like any other government official who seeks to normalize tyranny, they should be torn down and discarded; and the government itself has no mechanism to do so.  The five Justices who rendered this decision did so incorrectly, just as equally bad law was upheld during slavery.

Further, the Congress has no such ability to create such a law as the Constitution does not grant Congress the power to suspend Constitutional protections or to abrogate its legislative duties.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I am once again returning to vocally advocating that libertarians cast protest votes in favor of Joe Biden.

Utterly inane.

Any "libertarian" that casts a vote for biden is no such thing. Protest vote or not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Have you learned nothing in the last 3 1/2 years? Trump has been on the side of the Constitution since his inauguration. Trump also uses what might be considered outrageous statements by some as a part of his negotiating process. I haven't taken any time to try to figure this out yet but I'm confident that despite his words he'll actually do the right thing. Relax.

He has had, at best, a tenuous relationship with Constitutional protections.  He’s now gone well over the line.

We’re currently entering week five of American communism.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Utterly inane.

Any "libertarian" that casts a vote for biden is no such thing. Protest vote or not.

Better that than live under Pinochet or Maduro.  

But then, you’ve been know to advocate for the political imprisonments of journalists and dissenters, so we know where you stand.

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Better that than live under Pinochet or Maduro.  

But then, you’ve been know to advocate for the political imprisonments of journalists and dissenters, so we know where you stand.

:lol:

Your hyperbole is just so adorable. You'd put someone who, at best is suffering from dementia with a KNOWN history of corruption into office because you *think* the president is acting like a king. Best of luck with that, Mr. Principles.

• Haha (+1) 1

....but these pressers are "Belichick like".........as in yesterday.....

CBS reporter: "Mr President, what are you doing about China? I have not seen any information as to what your Administration is doing . What are you doing if anything"?

Trump: "How do you know what we are doing about the China matter? How do you know we are NOT working on the matter? Besides, you'd be the LAST one I would tell".

.....popcorn, bourbon and Depends are running low watching these......

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

:lol:

Your hyperbole is just so adorable. You'd put someone who, at best is suffering from dementia with a KNOWN history of corruption into office because you *think* the president is acting like a king. Best of luck with that, Mr. Principles.

Make sure you suck that jackboot good and wet before you beg the king to shove it up your ass, Joe.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Why don't you enumerate the "king's" numerous abuses of power for us all, "smartest guy in the room."

I’m going to step away from my keyboard, as this is beginning to get personal, and I have no interest in taking it to that level.

I’ll be back later.  In the interim, I’ll ask you to reflect on five weeks of American communism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I’m not trying to attack you.  I’m attacking a position that far too many “conservatives” are holding themselves to, part of which you seem to be aligning behind with your general acceptance of a law which flies in the face of federalism, liberal democracy, and self-determination.

Nine government appointed lawyers placed into lifetime positions are not oracles.  They do not determine right and wrong, and their decisions are political more often than not.  They are a part of the oppressive machinations of leviathan, and are not the bulwarks of your freedoms.  Like any other government official who seeks to normalize tyranny, they should be torn down and discarded; and the government itself has no mechanism to do so.  The five Justices who rendered this decision did so incorrectly, just as equally bad law was upheld during slavery.

Further, the Congress has no such ability to create such a law as the Constitution does not grant Congress the power to suspend Constitutional protections or to abrogate its legislative duties.

I am not a Conservative. I hold two (firm) positions that bar me from ever having that appellation.  ? I am a political mutt.

Whether or not I agree with the 9-black-robed wonders being the final say, legislative and executive branches have ceded that power to them. Again, the act you are complaining about granting the president a ***** ton of powers in a time of national disaster was affirmed by the SC this past July.  Until Congress can get together and form a veto proof majority to have those acts repealed, they are here to stay.

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I’m going to step away from my keyboard, as this is beginning to get personal, and I have no interest in taking it to that level.

I’ll be back later.  In the interim, I’ll ask you to reflect on five weeks of American communism.

Maybe it takes a simple guy to point out the obvious, but to break the tension a bit. 

You folks are all capable of handling yourselves, but this struck me as damn funny:

"...as this is beginning to get personal..." came after "Make sure you suck that jackboot good and wet before you beg the king to shove it up your ass, Joe."

This could be better than Ali-Frazier.

edit:  Then Joe comes up with a call for "grievances".

Jackboots, Kings and Grievances!    

I feel like I'm watching that TV show "Turn", except I can never understand the characters as they sound muffled, like a bunch of muffled tory's. 

•  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am not a Conservative. I hold two (firm) positions that bar me from ever having that appellation.  ? I am a political mutt.

Whether or not I agree with the 9-black-robed wonders being the final say, legislative and executive branches have ceded that power to them. Again, the act you are complaining about granting the president a ***** ton of powers in a time of national disaster was affirmed by the SC this past July.  Until Congress can get together and form a veto proof majority to have those acts repealed, they are here to stay.

Political violence against elected officials is a legitimate check and balance against government corruption and general malfeasance.  The ballot box is a sham, created by the power elite for the purpose of controlling the population.  The franchise does not self legitimize when approximately 20% of the population proposes to dictate to the 80%

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Maybe it takes a simple guy to point out the obvious, but to break the tension a bit. 

You folks are all capable of handling yourselves, but this struck me as damn funny:

"...as this is beginning to get personal..." came after "Make sure you suck that jackboot good and wet before you beg the king to shove it up your ass, Joe."

This could be better than Ali-Frazier.

•  

I’m self-aware enough to realize when I’m acting in a way I find unprincipled.  I didn’t accuse anyone else.  I own my actions and words.  Others are free to do or be less.

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Political violence against elected officials is a legitimate check and balance against government corruption and general malfeasance.  The ballot box is a sham, created by the power elite for the purpose of controlling the population.  The franchise does not self legitimize when approximately 20% of the population proposes to dictate to the 80%

...seriously?...SERIOUSLY?......KKK?...white supremacist groups?...Antifah?......armed militias?......."Houston, we have a problem here"...SMH................

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Yeeeaaaaah, I'm out. You have a good day.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...seriously?...SERIOUSLY?......KKK?...white supremacist groups?...Antifah?......armed militias?......."Houston, we have a problem here"...SMH................

Even better, he'd vote against one guy with supposed autocratic and corrupt tendencies in favor of another guy with known and documented history of such tendencies. On principle. Asinine.

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Even better, he'd vote against one guy with supposed autocratic and corrupt tendencies in favor of another guy with known and documented history of such tendencies. On principle. Asinine.

...could be the perfect name for a political party whether a current rename or future....we are effed up bud...........