The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

Media overplaying its anti-Trump hand – statistics and an anecdote about a lifelong Democrat
Posted by William A. Jacobson Friday, July 21, 2017

Media Russia-mania disconnected from people’s reality, and turning off at least one lifelong Democrat.

There has been a lot of attention in the past couple of days to the statistical disconnect between what is of importance to the media versus what is important to the public.

Not surprisingly, the media is all Russia, Russia, Russia. The public not so much.

Jon Gabriel at Ricochet originated the analysis, though many outlets ran with it, What Americans Care About vs. What the Media Cares About:

Not surprisingly, health care tops the list of concerns, followed by jobs and security issues. These findings are pretty typical, though the collapse of Obamacare and the GOP bills to fix it have caused health care to surge higher than usual. But look toward the center of the list. Russia, the issue that has dominated press coverage since the November election, scores a paltry 6 percent on Americans’ top concerns.

This lack of interest reminded me of a June 27 Media Research Center
in which they calculated the amount of network news coverage of major issues. The results were radically different than the Bloomberg chart above ….

Despite the American people caring far more about health care than any other issue, the media has swamped the airwaves with Trump/Russia conspiracies to the detriment of nearly everything else.

The difference between the people and the press was so jarring, I created a chart comparing the two studies. Granted, these studies were conducted by two different organizations using very different methods, but the juxtaposition was remarkable.

Jon then compiled the stats in a chart:

People-vs-Press-Jon-Gabriel-Ricochet.png

This analysis came to my mind when I had a conversation today that anecdotally supports how out of touch the media is.

The conversation was with someone I’ve known for almost 20 years. He’s a lifelong Rhode Islander and Democrat who has expressed strong hostility to me toward Trump in the past. We speak every couple of months, and I’ve never heard him say a good word about Trump.

The political part of the conversation started by him asking me how the blog was going, and how we must be busy with all the Trump stuff. I was non-committal, something along the lines of “sure, things are always busy.” I fully expected a truck load of anti-Trump stuff to be dumped on me next. But that didn’t happen.

He then volunteered how frustrated he was with the media, and how they “won’t let Trump do his job.” He said he still doesn’t like Trump, but was very angry at the media particularly the Russia coverage. He said (paraphrasing), give me a break with that meeting, if someone offered any campaign dirt on their opponent, of course they’d take it. The conversation continued for several minutes along the same lines, but he kept coming back to Trump not being permitted to “do his job.”

It’s just an anecdote. But it’s meaningful to me because this friend was the last person I would have expected to have such a reaction to media coverage of Trump.

Between the statistical disconnect between media coverage and what matters to people, and this anecdote, I think 2018 may not be the Democrat romp many people are predicting. The media is so obsessed, and Democrats are so much a part of that obsession, they may be overplaying their hand. If nothing else, their voters may stay home in 2018 out of disgust.

Read one article about how the New York Times editors make the narrative up and then tell reporters to write to support the narrative. Nearly every other paper moves from reporting up to the editors to present news. Explains tons to me.

:lol:

I'm waiting for somebody to tie closed door meetings of the heads of state at the G20 as Trump's secret link to a former Communist

I am waiting to see his taxes and business dealings and figure out why The Trumpster is throwing around the PP-Word (Presidental Pardon) so early into a first term.

...and figure out why The Trumpster is throwing around the PP-Word (Presidental Pardon) so early into a first term.

Because the left has been throwing around the "impeachment" word since before he was even inaugurated?

National correspondent for MSNBC...........

xJ3Me1KK_bigger.jpgJoy ReidVerified account @JoyAnnReid
Follow
More

How is it that in 2017 we don't have universal wifi when so many people depend on their phones, in some cases as their only internet access?

1:24 PM - 24 Jul 2017

36 million Americans will DIE if there's no universal interwebs... I mean it B-)

Edited by B-Man

National correspondent for MSNBC...........

36 million Americans will DIE if there's no universal interwebs... I mean it B-)

We're a big !@#$ing country with lots of open space that's difficult and expensive to cover. We're not Belgium.

Trump drives DNC-MSM (further) insane by appearing earlier tonight at the 2017 National Scout Jamboree in West Virginia.

because of Trump’s appearance tonight, our totally objective, unbiased media is comparing the Boy Scouts to the Hitler Youth, and MSNBC’s Chris Hayes of all people (and all networks) is tweeting, “Everything is culture war. Everything.”

Which side started the culture war? Who kept advancing the front lines until they reached all the way into the pizza parlor, cake baker, and the lady’s room?

If we’re going to talk about a culture war involving kids, just as a reminder, MSNBC ran an ad that said (speaking of partying like it’s 1939) that children belong the government – a commercial that aired with the goal of increasing its audience size by saying something that would flatter “Progressive” sensibilities – in 2013:

Here’s a shocker: Trump managed to drive the media crazy during his appearance, both by delving into politics and by insisting the news networks wouldn’t show the massive crowd. Of course, they did pan across the audience; they were pretty much compelled to, right?

In a swipe at his predecessor, Pres Trump asks rhetorically, "Did President Obama ever come to a Jamboree? The answer’s no,"

So B-Man do you condone his speech to the Boy Scouts? Do you have any problems with it? For once I am curious about YOUR thoughts. You literally copy and paste other people's thoughts more than you say your own. Any individual agency left in that brain?

Is there some kind of political ground to be gained from treating Trump as infallible and turning everything into him vs. the media? That's the only reason I can think anyone would write something as stupid as "the networks were compelled to show the big crowds because of Trump bringing it up."

So B-Man do you condone his speech to the Boy Scouts? Do you have any problems with it? For once I am curious about YOUR thoughts. You literally copy and paste other people's thoughts more than you say your own. Any individual agency left in that brain?

Is there some kind of political ground to be gained from treating Trump as infallible and turning everything into him vs. the media? That's the only reason I can think anyone would write something as stupid as "the networks were compelled to show the big crowds because of Trump bringing it up."

No, I have none. There is NOTHING wrong with pointing out that Obama was generally anti-America.

No, I have none. There is NOTHING wrong with pointing out that Obama was generally anti-America.

Yeah and how about talking about his electoral victory to the Boy Scouts and talking about his health care policy goals. Do you believe that's an appropriate speech for the president to give to a group of Boy Scouts? You would have been just fine with Obama getting on a stage and telling kids his affordable care act was going to change their future for the better? As long as you're consistent go ahead and believe that. I for one don't think presidents should talk like that to the Boy Scouts. I find it shocking that anyone could try and excuse that. But that's how far the level of discourse has fallen since Trump became president. I'm sick of the references back to Obama and Clinton. Trump is president now and we have to own it. And he appears to be growing more unhinged.

Happy, what is the point of responding to someone who uses the phrase "do you condone his speech to the Boy Scouts? "

( Condone - accept and allow behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive to continue )

You have your mind made up already,

For the millionth time, the "tell us your own thoughts BS does not work with me"

I post articles that I know people have not seen (and maybe should read for their own benefit)

Many here like the back and forth arguing, I do not

Edited by B-Man

Yeah and how about talking about his electoral victory to the Boy Scouts and talking about his health care policy goals. Do you believe that's an appropriate speech for the president to give to a group of Boy Scouts? You would have been just fine with Obama getting on a stage and telling kids his affordable care act was going to change their future for the better? As long as you're consistent go ahead and believe that. I for one don't think presidents should talk like that to the Boy Scouts. I find it shocking that anyone could try and excuse that. But that's how far the level of discourse has fallen since Trump became president. I'm sick of the references back to Obama and Clinton. Trump is president now and we have to own it. And he appears to be growing more unhinged.

Let's be frank here. You don't like Trump, and that's your prerogative.

But you're FAR from being objective on the topic. The level of discourse was **** with Mr. Pen and Phone, with GWB, with Slick Willie.

There hasn't been real discourse in this country since the left came unhinged with the election of GWB.

There hasn't been real discourse in this country since the left came unhinged with the election of GWB.

Well losing due to a questionable vote count in Florida did upset many. But you must have slept through the '90's when the right was attacking the Clintons.

And of course Trump is only making the discourse worse by acting anything but presidential, even politicizing a Boy Scout speech. At least Obama was a Boy Scout. Trump got 3 deferments from the Boy Scouts.

Should the media criticize that disgusting display the president made with the Boy Scouts? Using children as a prop to discredit our media, opponents and everything else that he personally does not like? Another low for this waste of a person that a mindless electorate has placed at the head of our government.

Should the media criticize that disgusting display the president made with the Boy Scouts? Using children as a prop to discredit our media, opponents and everything else that he personally does not like? Another low for this waste of a person that a mindless electorate has placed at the head of our government.

imo Yes they should.

:lol:

the leftist media is going to do what it does because it simply can't help itself.

It's another in a long line of partisan bull ****.

Please explain Sean Hannity.

He's one of the last holdouts on FOX who haven't wizened up (beyond the morning show airheads)

Kudo's to Shep Smith for telling him he's all alone out in left field.

or should then be right field?

It's the media's job to ask questions and not be told to shut up. The MO is to say Next or any other question.

were you a boyscout?

Time to smoke another doobie, Tiberius....

Trump didn't do that, somebody else made it happen.

You can't let up with a man like Trump. He knows only p*ssies let up.

The ground rule with a guy like Trump is only one thing:

No quarter.

And none should be granted back in return.

Trump really is acting like the Snowflake if he is complaining the media is so unfair to him.

Snowflakes & Deplorables are one in the same.

Obama was handed the Nobel Prize after accomplishing nothing at all.... the media treated it like the 2nd and 3rd coming of Jesus, still do...

The media wouldn't listen to the people during the election, and they aren't listening now as people have stopped paying any attention at all to them.

At Power Line, John Hinderaker writes,

“President Trump addressed the Boy Scout Jamboree in West Virginia last night. His speech sparked controversy, as he veered from his prepared text to riff on politics. As usual with President Trump, however, the Left’s reaction is disproportionate to anything he actually did…

Was it inappropriate for the president to criticize Democrats and the media in this sort of appearance? I think it was. But when do the Democrats ever forgo an opportunity to attack Trump? Never, as far as I can see.

And who was it who politicized the Boy Scouts, trying either to drive them out of existence or to radically transform them? The Democrats. No wonder Trump got such a warm reception last night.”

And no wonder the DNC-MSM had such a sense of amnesia last night.

More:

The Associated Press headlines its brief article “Trump’s political speech to Scouts inspires parental outrage.”

Really? The article quotes not a single parent, and offers no evidence of any such “parental outrage.”

The AP just made that up, along with this lead sentence:

President Donald Trump’s fiery speech Monday night at the National Scout Jamboree in West Virginia has infuriated parents and former Scouts.

But.......you know......he's being a snowflake about the media. :lol:

Edited by B-Man