Who ends their playoff drought first, Bills or Sabres?

Peevo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty close. Both teams are going to end up slightly on the outside looking in. A 56 yard FG probably kept the Bills out and the Sabres OT / shootout record will keep them out. The NFL playoffs technically come first so that gives the Bills a head start. I don't think that they'll be a playoff team in 2017 but maybe if they pick up the defense. I think that the Sabres should take the next step in 2017-2018. I guess that I think the Sabres but I wouldn't bet an amount that mattered on that.

Yeah they are both pretty easy sports to make the playoffs. They could both make it next year without much luck at all.

Bills roster peaked a few years ago and Sabres are on the rise.

They did but they were probably a top 5 team in terms of talent a couple years ago......they were quite loaded.......and they are still talented enough that it would hardly be a surprise for them to earn a wildcard berth.

They aren't in a death spiral talent wise, just a one season down cycle due to the amount of free agents......unless they tear it down.

Losing is not always the genesis of winning. Take the case of Aaron Schobel........he was the Bills best defender but got sick of playing on a team that was constantly churning thru young QB's and called it a career a good 3 years early.......that hurt the Bills talent level and lead to the desperate drafting of Aaron Maybin. Meanwhile a guy like Justin Smith played an extra few years because he thought he had a chance to win. Hell the Patriots had about 6 of those type of guys on the 18-1 team.

One thing the Bills have always been willing to do during this streak is being willing to take a step or two back for fear that they weren't taking a step forward.

Sabres for many of the reasons already listed. NHL is easier to make playoffs, team has young talent and some solid core players. Hell if they could throw together a few game winning streak this year they could sneak in but they are inconsistent as hell and stay in the locker room for the 2nd period.

I like the Bills chances. The switch back to the 4-3 will make a difference on Defense. They'll need to keep TT at QB for 17 if they want to win now. If they go in another direction, sabres will make it first. They're about 2 years away.

These teams are eerily similar. Neither one can seem to get on a roll. Win one, lose one. Win two, lose two or three. Anyone's guess is as good as mine, but until one of them learns to put together a winning streak, neither one is going anywhere except home after their respective season ends.

These teams are eerily similar. Neither one can seem to get on a roll. Win one, lose one. Win two, lose two or three. Anyone's guess is as good as mine, but until one of them learns to put together a winning streak, neither one is going anywhere except home after their respective season ends.

Granted, I'm not super knowledgable about the Sabres, but don't they have a really good core of young players? I don't really see the Bills having that

I think the Sabres are still a couple years away from being where I think most people think they will be even just next season. The Bills are going through a mini-rebuild process right now themselves so I think it could go either way but my prediction is we won't get our answer to this question for 2-3 years possibly

Granted, I'm not super knowledgable about the Sabres, but don't they have a really good core of young players? I don't really see the Bills having that

The Sabres do have some good young players, but overall they are wildly inconsistent. One night they look like world beaters and the next night they can't seem to get out of their own way. Just like the Bills.

I think the Sabres will end their's next year...they just need to get a few more players in here and they will turn the corner...they are on the cusp now, they just can't seem to put things together...youth and inexperience and not wanting to listen to the coaching staff...

Sabres will be there in the next two years. Bills aren't going to the playoffs until Brady is gone.

The Sabres do have some good young players, but overall they are wildly inconsistent. One night they look like world beaters and the next night they can't seem to get out of their own way. Just like the Bills.

That's what you get from a good, young core. Another year or two of experience and they start to establish their game on a more consistent basis.

Meanwhile, the Bills never look like world beaters (except against the 49ers).

Sabres. They'll make it next season.

I've come to believe that the Bills are an absolutely cursed franchise. I've come to the realization that there will be no end to the drought. They simply will never make the playoffs again. Ever. Their current roster is on the verge of collapse, which will cause a downward spiral, which will cause desperation moves to save Whaley's job, which will put the team further away from the rebuild that is needed, which will cost McDermott his job. Three years from now we'll have a new GM and head coach and a terrible roster.

This thread perfectly illustrates exactly what I'm talking about: the Bills suck, even though they had a positive point differential last year, they have a top 5 running back in the game, a top 5 OL in the game, a stud receiver when healthy and a very talented front seven. Would I consider them a team with an arrow pointing up? No, but let's see who they snag at 10. They keep Tyrod, renegotiate a few contracts, get a legit safety in FA and draft Mike Williams/Corey Davis at 10 and maybe get a spark from a coach who's not a clown, they may not be all that bad. Meanwhile the Sabres ARE BAD despite the fact everyone always has their rose-colored glasses on when it comes to them. The Sabres making the playoffs next year is far from a safe assumption. They should be better than they are right now- something is off with them (I think it's Bylsma). But Toronto is ahead of them, Montreal isn't going anywhere, Boston is still better than them and Tampa Bay and Florida both have more talent than the Sabres. I'm telling you, this one is a coin flip. Shattenkirk would be the most ideal fit for the Sabres ever. See what happens. Good thread though.

Edited by metzelaars_lives