Who ends their playoff drought first, Bills or Sabres?

Peevo

We all know the stats about the longest playoff drought in North American professional sports. Did you know gas was on average $1.30(!)/gallon in 1999?

But the other pro team in Buffalo is also working on quite the playoff drought of their own.

Their last appearance was in 2011, which is six seasons ago should the Blue and Gold fail to make it again this year. Which will also make it exactly 10 seasons since their last playoff series win.

Unfortunately, the stats I can find, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_droughts, do not say if the pending six season drought is a franchise record for the Sabres or not.

Since both teams have been pretty bad since, well, Twitter was a thing, who do you think finally breaks the drought first?

The team without a franchise quarterback, playing twice a year the team with the greatest quarterback to ever play?

Or a team still stuck in mediocrity almost two seasons removed from some of the worst professional hockey ever played, in the hopes of getting "generational" talent?

I guess it's pretty even money, should there be a betting on line on such a thing as this. But if pressed to an answer, I'd say the Sabres have the best statistical chance at breaking the drought.

Many more games leaves more chances to correct mistakes, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs are reasonably easy to obtain, as more than half the league gets into the first round. But that doesn't mean I'm right.

What say you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres are a bit closer in my opinion. However draft picks can have an immediate impact in football much more so than in the NHL.

My personal opinion is neither are likely to make the playoffs for a few more years, however if lightning strikes and the Bills end up with some good players out of the draft and end up one way or another with a decent QB they could cinderella their way in.

Edited by CodeMonkey

They are pretty close. Both teams are going to end up slightly on the outside looking in. A 56 yard FG probably kept the Bills out and the Sabres OT / shootout record will keep them out. The NFL playoffs technically come first so that gives the Bills a head start. I don't think that they'll be a playoff team in 2017 but maybe if they pick up the defense. I think that the Sabres should take the next step in 2017-2018. I guess that I think the Sabres but I wouldn't bet an amount that mattered on that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

100% sabres. like it's said above, Sabres have some good young talent, the Bills really don't. They've been drafting terribly for years and even when they chance upon a player like Watkins, he's not on the field enough, or surrounded by the sort of needed talent to make a difference. Unless the bills coaching staff is an order of magnitude improvement, there's little chance they'll do any better than 8-8 which isn't going to make the playoffs, probably ever, in the AFCE. Someone posted in another thread the grim reality of the Bills last few drafts, when you're only keeping a couple players from each draft, then finding the rest on the scrap heap, well, you're going to be a bad team

As it stands right now, the Bills are a better football team than the Sabres are a hockey team. It's actually not that close. The Bills were a middling/average NFL team this season. Remember, they actually had a positive points differential and we're top ten in the league in scoring. The Sabres are definitively a bottom 5-10 team in the NHL. All that being said, I think the Sabres' long term outlook is definitely more favorable. But THAT being said, I'm a bit tired of the Bills getting piled on while everyone makes excuses for the Sabres and loves Tim Murray unconditionally. It's about time for them to put up or shut up. For the record, I have been calling for Bylsma's firing for over two months now.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

We all know the stats about the longest playoff drought in North American professional sports. Did you know gas was on average $1.30(!)/gallon in 1999?

But the other pro team in Buffalo is also working on quite the playoff drought of their own.

Their last appearance was in 2011, which is six seasons ago should the Blue and Gold fail to make it again this year. Which will also make it exactly 10 seasons since their last playoff series win.

Unfortunately, the stats I can find, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_droughts, do not say if the pending six season drought is a franchise record for the Sabres or not.

Since both teams have been pretty bad since, well, Twitter was a thing, who do you think finally breaks the drought first?

The team without a franchise quarterback, playing twice a year the team with the greatest quarterback to ever play?

Or a team still stuck in mediocrity almost two seasons removed from some of the worst professional hockey ever played, in the hopes of getting "generational" talent?

I guess it's pretty even money, should there be a betting on line on such a thing as this. But if pressed to an answer, I'd say the Sabres have the best statistical chance at breaking the drought.

Many more games leaves more chances to correct mistakes, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs are reasonably easy to obtain, as more than half the league gets into the first round. But that doesn't mean I'm right.

What say you?

Sabres, much easier to make the play-offs in the NHL and the Atlantic division is ripe for the taking. The Sabres will be in the play-offs next year.

(This coming from an Islanders fan)