The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Gruden, "He's got incredible arm talent, he's a gunslinger, he's courageous. You better get up there and get this kid because he's got rare stuff."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzKNLvhv-YM

When Gruden is commentating on football games he makes the backup linebackers sound like the next coming of Lawerence Taylor. Hes hot air and likely gets paid by players agents to prop these guys up.

Edited by Bill_with_it

What is wrong with today's NFL?!

This kid has no future in this league. He is literally a baseball player trying to play QB. His decision making is terrible. He will be absolutely torched in the NFL.

The Bills would have to avoid playing him in his first year at all costs. I agree he will turn it over a lot and you don't want that messing with his mentality too much.

NFL Network Path to the Draft (6 EST and rerun at 8, I think) is supposed to feature Mahomes today.

Nice.

Yes, I get that Gruden says nice things about every prospect. But notice something, He damns some with very faint praise. Take a look at how he drooled over Dak last year. Gruden really was a QB guy in his day and it's cool watching him do these every year.

The Bills would have to avoid playing him in his first year at all costs. I agree he will turn it over a lot and you don't want that messing with his mentality too much.

He only threw 10 picks last year throwing it a million times. Yes, he is a bit wild and aggressive but I would rather have that then a guy who is too cautious and throws floaters out there.

If he is drafted by Buffalo we need to invest in the best QB coaches we can access.

When Gruden is commentating on football games he makes the backup linebackers sound like the next coming of Lawerence Taylor. Hes hot air and likely gets paid by players agents to prop these guys up.

I highly doubt he gets paid by agents to prop these guys up. But you are right about Gruden's excessive praise for just about any player.

Gruden is a politician (NFL style). He praises everyone in the league so that he is loved by everyone. It is his schtick. Most of the big network live NFL bradcast commentators do it too. They just aren't as big of an ass kisser as Gruden.

I find the guy highly annoying because of it.

Every compliment Gruden gives should be taken with a huge block of salt.

......Gruden has a QB fetish......never met one he did not love.....didn't he have at least seven+ in camp at TB?.....stay in the booth John...............

This is true to a point...But I was listening to the Kiper/McShay podcast yesterday and Kiper made it very clear that Gruden loves Mahomes...He said Mahomes is Gruden's guy this year and promised that just about every pick Gruden would be saying the team should take Mahomes...

So...Apparently he loves Mahomes a little more than even the usual QB love... B-)

This is true to a point...But I was listening to the Kiper/McShay podcast yesterday and Kiper made it very clear that Gruden loves Mahomes...He said Mahomes is Gruden's guy this year and promised that just about every pick Gruden would be saying the team should take Mahomes...

So...Apparently he loves Mahomes a little more than even the usual QB love... B-)

They asked Gruden which QB he would take first if he got to pick. He said Mahomes.

They asked Gruden which QB he would take first if he got to pick. He said Mahomes.

Yep...And I think he's right this time...

Did you hear Matt Waldman on WGR today? I think he absolutely nailed the Mahomes topic...

And spoiler in case you did not hear it, he likes Mahomes...He basically said...And please forgive me for paraphrasing here...Trubisky is more of the Alex Smith-type QB...Mahomes is the Big Ben/Favre-type...But he explained in detail why teams will Draft the Trubisky-types over the Mahomes-types...It was a really great/detailed explanation of how QB's like Mahomes look real bad early on when they make mistakes because they have no fear, and few limits to what they can do...So...Even though it takes a litte time to coach the bad out it's completely coach-able because you're sort of reverse engineering...They can already do all the hard stuff...You're working backwards on the fundamentals... The one caveat is they HAVE to be hard workers...and Mahomes is...

He also said the Mahomes bad footwork/technique knock is a bit overblown because there are plenty of throws where he has picture perfect form...The difference is with a guy like Mahomes, when things go bad and break down, he elevates quite often...it's an unteachable trait...

Mahomes is a much safer bet than teams think...But generally they don't have the patience...It's a lot of CYA by GM's...And that's why they get it wrong a lot...

The Bills better Draft that kid... B-)

Yep...And I think he's right this time...

Did you hear Matt Waldman on WGR today? I think he absolutely nailed the Mahomes topic...

And spoiler in case you did not hear it, he likes Mahomes...He basically said...And please forgive me for paraphrasing here...Trubisky is more of the Alex Smith-type QB...Mahomes is the Big Ben/Favre-type...But he explained in detail why teams will Draft the Trubisky-types over the Mahomes-types...It was a really great/detailed explanation of how QB's like Mahomes look real bad early on when they make mistakes because they have no fear, and few limits to what they can do...So...Even though it takes a litte time to coach the bad out it's completely coach-able because you're sort of reverse engineering...They can already do all the hard stuff...You're working backwards on the fundamentals... The one caveat is they HAVE to be hard workers...and Mahomes is...

He also said the Mahomes bad footwork/technique knock is a bit overblown because there are plenty of throws where he has picture perfect form...The difference is with a guy like Mahomes, when things go bad and break down, he elevates quite often...it's an unteachable trait...

Mahomes is a much safer bet than teams think...But generally they don't have the patience...It's a lot of CYA by GM's...And that's why they get it wrong a lot...

The Bills better Draft that kid... B-)

I agree with you that his floor is probably higher than people realize. The person who got me into Mahomes coaches college football. He talks to some of the coaches that have gone against him. He said floor is early Jay Cutler without the attitude problems. Ceiling? The guy who takes your team to a Superbowl, Special.

Yes, Waldman's explanation was great. Trubisky is safer for the corporate types. And I like Mitch, I understand it. But if you are less concerned with pleasing people.... Waldman did say Big Ben as the Mahomes type. I remember reading the draft reports of people who passed on Roethlisberger. Cleveland loved Ben's talent but had just signed Jeff Garcia so they drafted a tight end. Please let's not pull a Cleveland with Tyrod as our Jeff Garcia.

Edited by jeffismagic

I agree with you that his floor is probably higher than people realize. The person who got me into Mahomes coaches college football. He talks to some of the coaches that have gone against him. He said floor is early Jay Cutler without the attitude problems. Ceiling? The guy who takes your team to a Superbowl, Special.

Well...I watch a TON of tape when I like a guy...everything I can get my hands on...There are a lot of players I watch 5-10 mins from a couple games and I never watch again...Just don't like em' or it's a lot of...Meh...

The 1st time I watched anything on Mahomes...I think it was the La Tech game...The first freaking play!!! He dodges an unblocked rusher, steps up and has another bearing down on him, pulls up in a flash and floats an absolute perfect gem of a pass over the middle...Hits the receiver just perfectly in stride for a HUGE gain...And I'm like OK...Wow...Just wow!

Now...Is all his tape that good? No...But...A lot of it is...And the swagger that kid plays with...He's got to be my favorite player coming out of any Draft since Cam Newton...I probably like him more than Cam...It is going to depend on how much patience the team that gets him has...Favre drove Holmgren insane at times...But I think with Mahomes patience will pay off and he will be a top 5 QB in this league in 3 years...

And if that happens I will literally never, ever forgive the Bills if they pass on him...Unless of course they somehow manage to match his output at the QB position elsewhere...

Anyway...Love the kid...Please Coach McDermott...Pound that freaking table... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Here's a good article / interview with Mahomes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703712-watching-tape-with-patrick-mahomes-the-myth-of-the-air-raid-quarterback

Will he have a problem with NFL verbiage? How about if he breaks down what he considered to be Texas Tech's most complicated play from a verbiage standpoint?

"Probably 'Green Rug Rock Pop 2 East Bill Log 95 Z Post B Will." Pop is play action, and the formation is Green Rug Rock—that's the backs behind me. Rug means that the B back [second running back] is on the line of scrimmage. We have our 'Y' receiver in the game, and our 'Z' receiver, and the H-back is out [away from the formation]. 'Pop 2 East Bill Log' means that we're going to fake our outside zone to the right, with the B-back blocking in front. We're going to fake that. 'Log' means the backside tackle is going to lock on the [backside defensive] end, and '95' is our concept of the play. We tag a Z Post [the 'Z' receiver running a post route], and for the B-back, we tag a 'Will.' [the second running back blocking the weak-side linebacker]."
While Mahomes did receive the plays from the sideline, he said it was his job to get to the line of scrimmage, call the protections to the offensive line, signal the routes to the receivers on either side and audible if the defense was showing something different.

It sounds like he's done a lot at the line of scrimmage, identifying coverages, setting protections, and figuring out the best options.

I haven't watched a lot of him, but he looks like a very intriguing prospect.

To be honest, if they love Trubisky, Mahomes, or Watson, I say just take them at 10 or trade back 3-5 spots if they're all available at 10 and you have a suitor. Quit dicking around with the most important position on the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703712-watching-tape-with-patrick-mahomes-the-myth-of-the-air-raid-quarterback

It sounds like he's done a lot at the line of scrimmage, identifying coverages, setting protections, and figuring out the best options.

To be honest, if they love Trubisky, Mahomes, or Watson, I say just take them at 10 or trade back 3-5 spots if they're all available at 10 and you have a suitor. Quit dicking around with the most important position on the team.

Take him at #10. Qb class is much better than the consensus of media pundits and they will all go sooner than folks think.

I'll say this, Mahomes did his share of audibling out of plays, which I don't usually see in a system offense. I'm not a crusader but I do think that mentally he will be able to handle NFL decision making. Whether he can grow out of his happy feet is a different story.

I'll say this, Mahomes did his share of audibling out of plays, which I don't usually see in a system offense. I'm not a crusader but I do think that mentally he will be able to handle NFL decision making. Whether he can grow out of his happy feet is a different story.

That does worry me a little bit. From JP, to EJ and Tyrod, it seems like the QB here always has happy feet. It's one thing that intrigues me so much about Cardale, he seems to move around the pocket well and doesn't bail at the first sign of pressure.

I haven't watched enough of Mahomes to see how bad it is, but I did see him taking off early here and there. It's kind of slow today, I might try to watch another game or two of his to get a better idea.

I will save you the time. Mahomes is a game changing QB. He is the next Rogers. If you draft him the team that gets him will be set

for the next 12 years. Future Super Bowl winner and Probowler. Simply put the best player in this draft.

That does worry me a little bit. From JP, to EJ and Tyrod, it seems like the QB here always has happy feet. It's one thing that intrigues me so much about Cardale, he seems to move around the pocket well and doesn't bail at the first sign of pressure.

I haven't watched enough of Mahomes to see how bad it is, but I did see him taking off early here and there. It's kind of slow today, I might try to watch another game or two of his to get a better idea.

I will save you the time. Mahomes is a game changing QB. He is the next Rogers. If you draft him the team that gets him will be set

for the next 12 years. Future Super Bowl winner and Probowler. Simply put the best player in this draft.

I like Mahomes as much as the next guy, but lets pump the brakes a little :lol: