The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son of Mahomes has been all over NFL Network the last two nights. Seems like a very bright, confident kid. I have no friggin idea what the Bills should do (I just assume they'll screw it up like always), but this looks like the kind of guy you draft to be your QB.

Absout

I will save you the time. Mahomes is a game changing QB. He is the next Rogers. If you draft him the team that gets him will be set
for the next 12 years. Future Super Bowl winner and Probowler. Simply put the best player in this draft.

An Air Raid QB with atrocious mechanics and footwork...

Not likely.

The draft is filled with mysterious but intriguing prospects. Atop that list, or close: Texas Tech quarterback Pat Mahomes. While in Lubbock, Mahomes put up some silly stats in a pass-first, spread offense, but also got sloppy with his mechanics, at times improvised too much, made some decisions that left coaches shaking their heads, and showed a cannon for an arm.

Ring a historical bell? With some coaches it has. And how coincidental it is that, on the same campus, working at the Texas Tech Double T Varsity Club (the organization for Texas Tech alumni athletes), is Rodney Allison, the man who was the quarterback coach for a similar college player 27 years ago: Brett Favre.

“I think quarterbacks need to sit for a while,” Allison said. “And Pat, he’s just raw. He’s been a baseball player. He had that arm slot. He’s got a great arm. Mechanically, I think he struggles with a few things. But it’s fixable, for sure. Coach Payton told me he thought there were things that would be pretty simple to fix in a fairly short period of time. Like, when he goes left on a bootleg, getting his feet under him so he’s more balanced when he throws. That’s just practice. But like Brett, Pat just loves playing. You can see the fun they have. With both guys, it was contagious with their teammates. Arm-strength, Patrick might be better. They’re at least the same.”

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/19/pat-mahomes-nfl-draft-brett-favre-comparison-peter-king

I will save you the time. Mahomes is a game changing QB. He is the next Rogers. If you draft him the team that gets him will be set

for the next 12 years. Future Super Bowl winner and Probowler. Simply put the best player in this draft.

He really seems like a good kid with lot's of athleticism, upside and arm strength. BUT unfortunately his, dare I say, mind-blowing lack of accuracy even throwing "on air" at times is a massive massive red flag for drafting him any earlier than round 2.

He really seems like a good kid with lot's of athleticism, upside and arm strength. BUT unfortunately his, dare I say, mind-blowing lack of accuracy even throwing "on air" at times is a massive massive red flag for drafting him any earlier than round 2.

Compared to who?

Compared to who?

Compared to all the college Juniors and Seniors who are high potential NFL prospects I've watched in my lifetime... Most notably though were his out route throws at the combine, his throwing for timed speed throws to a standing target at another event, along with some majorly underthrown and mislead deep throws from his games this season. I'm intrigued by the guy but typically if they don't show a certain level of accuracy coming in, they don't achieve it. I'd still take him after rd. one so it's not all doom and gloom in my world. :)

Compared to all the college Juniors and Seniors who are high potential NFL prospects I've watched in my lifetime... Most notably though were his out route throws at the combine, his throwing for timed speed throws to a standing target at another event, along with some majorly underthrown and mislead deep throws from his games this season. I'm intrigued by the guy but typically if they don't show a certain level of accuracy coming in, they don't achieve it. I'd still take him after rd. one so it's not all doom and gloom in my world. :)

Well, maybe you are seeing things that the NFL teams and scouts are missing.

I know that it was a throw away "entertainment segment", but did anyone see the "how fast can you throw " competition between Mahomes and David Carr on NFL Network? Throwing to a stationary receiver maybe 10-15 yards away, 2 of Mahomes passes were completely uncatchable (Carr had no such SCUDS).

Now to be clear, I would not rule out taking Mahomes based on that, but it must cause at least a little concern.

I know that it was a throw away "entertainment segment", but did anyone see the "how fast can you throw " competition between Mahomes and David Carr on NFL Network? Throwing to a stationary receiver maybe 10-15 yards away, 2 of Mahomes passes were completely uncatchable (Carr had no such SCUDS).

Now to be clear, I would not rule out taking Mahomes based on that, but it must cause at least a little concern.

He didn't want to hurt the guy catching the ball.

Go outside. Take a football. And try to chuck it as hard as you can - not just hard - but as hard as you possibly can. See how accurate you are.

Do the same thing with a golf club and golf ball. See how straight you hit it.

Report back.

Go outside. Take a football. And try to chuck it as hard as you can - not just hard - but as hard as you possibly can. See how accurate you are.

Do the same thing with a golf club and golf ball. See how straight you hit it.

Report back.

a long retired David Carr (taking turns with Mahomes) did it with ease - hit the receiver in the hands every time and was only 2 to 4 mph slower than Mahomes on most of the throws. Again, I don't want to make it seem like I don't like the kid a bit because I do... Just not a rd1 guy. Mitch T has the accuracy that Mahomes lacks, but then Mitch is a one year player so... we'll see. I don't like any of the Qb's for rd 1, but especially at #10

a long retired David Carr (taking turns with Mahomes) did it with ease - hit the receiver in the hands every time and was only 2 to 4 mph slower than Mahomes on most of the throws. Again, I don't want to make it seem like I don't like the kid a bit because I do... Just not a rd1 guy. Mitch T has the accuracy that Mahomes lacks, but then Mitch is a one year player so... we'll see. I don't like any of the Qb's for rd 1, but especially at #10

It sounds like you had a preconceived notion if you are judging QB accuracy when he had just thrown 58 mph and wanted to get over 60 mph.

The fact that you think 4 mph is similar also betrays you don't understand what you are watching. The difference between 55 mph and 50 is worlds apart.

Fair post.

I haven't seen the lack of accuracy from him so much. But I definitely have NOT seen all of his work. Your intuition could be pointing you in the right direction. We will know within a few years I think.

I think we are at the same point. Almost everyone is afraid of spending a big pick on a guy - just to have him not be good enough. Because then you leave a hole on your team that you could have filled somewhat confidently- especially with pick #10. :beer:

That's why I am pretty much okay with whatever they do at quarterback - as long as they end up being right about it. They really need to get it right. That is the most important thing. They need to accurately identify talent and whether a guy is going to succeed in the NFL. I know it is the hardest thing to do. But I don't want to rely on luck.

Edited by PolishDave

Fair post.

I haven't seen the lack of accuracy from him so much. But I definitely have NOT seen all of his work. Your intuition could be pointing you in the right direction. We will know within a few years I think.

I think we are at the same point. Almost everyone is afraid of spending a big pick on a guy - just to have him not be good enough. Because then you leave a hole on your team that you could have filled somewhat confidently- especially with pick #10. :beer:

Even if he was right, and he is not, he also claimed Mahomes has the worst accuracy EVER and that he would draft him in the 2nd round or 3rd round! I give up!

If any QB should be dinged for this video it's Deshaun Watson. A retired David Carr who just had shoulder surgery is throwing harder than Watson can throw now, injury free and with no wear and tear NFL action on his body (Carr took a beating in Houston).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbXhUHIFRkg

Edited by jeffismagic

Even if he was right, and he is not, he also claimed Mahomes has the worst accuracy EVER and that he would draft him in the 2nd round or 3rd round! I give up!

If any QB should be dinged for this video it's Deshaun Watson. A retired David Carr who just had shoulder surgery is throwing harder than Watson can throw now, injury free and with no wear and tear NFL action on his body (Carr took a beating in Houston).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbXhUHIFRkg

I think it is fair to say neither of those guys were very accurate. Some of the balls were catchable - none were between the numbers - almost certainly because they were throwing as hard as they could. Video proves nothing either way in my opinion. Obviously both those guys are strong and can throw a football fast. I think everyone would have guessed that before watching this.

I think it is fair to say neither of those guys were very accurate. Some of the balls were catchable - none were between the numbers - almost certainly because they were throwing as hard as they could. Video proves nothing either way in my opinion. Obviously both those guys are strong and can throw a football fast. I think everyone would have guessed that before watching this.

Yes, you saw the video the way I did.

I`ll take the classic pocket passer,that can move or slide in the pocket. Or runs only when he has to.