Cardale Jones

Ennjay

This means nothing to the new coaching staff.

Of course not. I would venture to say though that most coaches would view progress similarly. They look for the same general areas of improvement. Maybe, to the degree that he's improved is debatable, but they'd almost certainly agree that there's been some progress.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read from a variety of sources the Bills were eyeing Prescott last year. As usual they waited too long and instead took a known immature lineman from Ohio State with their third round selection, the spot they would have needed to take Prescott.

Not true. If Whaley had not given away the Bills' 4th round pick (something he apparently LOVES to do) to move up for Ragland, that pick could have been used on Prescott.

Not true. If Whaley had not given away the Bills' 4th round pick (something he apparently LOVES to do) to move up for Ragland, that pick could have been used on Prescott.

The Bills were a team that had a qb need. Over-drafting by one round if that is the case is not an unreasonable strategy to take if you have that need. Yes, Whaley gave up a pick to move up for Ragland but he was still in a good position to select Prescott in the the third round. The DT from OSU was not necessarily a special prospect. He was a lazy and undisciplined player in college who turned out to be a lazy and undisciplined player in the pros. The organization was also hesitant and waited for their qb of choice in the Wilson and Cousin draft year. Again, we waited and got nothing worthwhile.

That was my point though, if we already have a really good young starter, then in that case Cardale becomes trade bait.

So Cardale becomes our Garofalo, who is the new Matt Cassel. But that only happens if he plays a little and looks good, AND the team wins.

*hot take I guess*

I think everyone (except maybe #34Fan, lol) is sleeping on Cardale. I actually do think he's ready to play. I think he needs a good QB coach and/or vet QB mentor in the film room and the right system to fit his strengths.

I don't think they will plan on him starting this year, but unlike most people it wouldn't really scare me if he did.

Edited by YoloinOhio

*hot take I guess*

I think everyone (except maybe #34Fan, lol) is sleeping on Cardale. I actually do think he's ready to play. I think he needs a good QB coach and/or vet QB mentor in the film room and the right system to fit his strengths.

I don't think they will plan on him starting this year, but unlike most people it wouldn't really scare me if he did.

Even your Cardale crush is nothing as compared to #34s Yolo.

This is where the apologists step in and proclaim that Whaley could never have known that Prescott would be selected where he was and therefore the GM is absolved. And furthermore, no one in the NFL knew Prescott would play as well as he did. :lol:

The trade for Ragland is a microcosm of what's wrong with the franchise. Moving up for ILB's when your QB situation is not good and then taking a huge project QB so as not to disturb EJ's roster spot.

Not taking QB's in the draft almost ensures you don't ever find a worthwhile QB. If there's one common denominator to the Nix/Whaley years it's an under-investment in the QB position and over investment at positions like LB and WR.

Edited by BillsVet

*hot take I guess*

That's the offseason talking. :lol:

Stranger things have happened.

We cut Hogan and he won a Super Bowl.

:lol::lol:

We never cut Hogan. We just chose not to match the Patriots offer.

Of course not. I would venture to say though that most coaches would view progress similarly. They look for the same general areas of improvement. Maybe, to the degree that he's improved is debatable, but they'd almost certainly agree that there's been some progress.

But what is McDermott's new staff basing his progress off of? He didn't even do anything at the combine because of an injury and he barely played all season. So are they gonna base his progress off his college tapes and what they see in training camp?

I don't buy it.

*hot take I guess*

Who were/are the great vet QB mentors?

This is where the apologists step in and proclaim that Whaley could never have known that Prescott would be selected where he was and therefore the GM is absolved. And furthermore, no one in the NFL knew Prescott would play as well as he did. :lol:

The trade for Ragland is a microcosm of what's wrong with the franchise. Moving up for ILB's when your QB situation is not good and then taking a huge project QB so as not to disturb EJ's roster spot.

Not taking QB's in the draft almost ensures you don't ever find a worthwhile QB. If there's one common denominator to the Nix/Whaley years it's an under-investment in the QB position and over investment at positions like LB and WR.

But wait, there's more! That linebacker they spent 3 picks on was suited for Rex's inside 3-4 scheme. Now he will be asked to play mike in a scheme where linebackers are expected to have good range. So even those picks on LB's could have to be done over.

But wait, there's more! That linebacker they spent 3 picks on was suited for Rex's inside 3-4 scheme. Now he will be asked to play mike in a scheme where linebackers are expected to have good range. So even those picks on LB's could have to be done over.

But wait, there's even more: There is every chance that the guy they gave away two fourth round picks for probably would have been available anyway at the Bills' original 2d round slot.

The Bills were a team that had a qb need. Over-drafting by one round if that is the case is not an unreasonable strategy to take if you have that need. Yes, Whaley gave up a pick to move up for Ragland but he was still in a good position to select Prescott in the the third round. The DT from OSU was not necessarily a special prospect. He was a lazy and undisciplined player in college who turned out to be a lazy and undisciplined player in the pros. The organization was also hesitant and waited for their qb of choice in the Wilson and Cousin draft year. Again, we waited and got nothing worthwhile.

I agreed with taking ej in the first too, didn't want to take a chance someone scooped him up late first/early second.