Has a backup qb gone onto greatness somewhere else

judman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty stupid of you to refer to him as "Janine." That doesn't even make sense.

I for one would love to see Jimmy as a Bill. The kid has talent and knows what good coaching is like. He would be a huge addition to the Bills.

and you know he has talent based on???

Did you watch a ton of his games in college at eastern Illinois?

Beat a mediocre Cardinals team( who the Bills destroyed) cause the Cards kicker missed a game-winning field goal.

For a half, was tearing up a Miami defence that had yet to gell...and again who the Bills put up almost 600 yards on that very same...when they were playing much better,

I am not saying he doesn't have talent...but if this kid is not screaming Bryan Flynn , Rob Johnson, and Scott Mitchell, i dont know who is.

And the fact the Pats are willing to trade him i conference, with a soon to be 40yr old starter, should tell you all you need to know.

Edited by plenzmd1

All sorts of probowls, Gold jackets and rings represented by:

Favre

Young

Warner

Gannon

Brad Johnson (actually 3rd string at one point behind Gannon!)

Romo was nearly cut and traded as a third stinger

Arguably testeverdi

Delhomme

Schaub

Alex Smith was demoted to back up in SF, but has been fine in KC

Hopefully Tyrod will get on the list too...

I think I'd only classify Warner,Favre,and Young as guys who were truly "great". I also think it was a different game back then. I believe it's far less likely that we'll see backups go on to be great players elsewhere these days. The QB position is held on too high of a pedestal for teams to let QB's go as easily as they once did.

Define greatness.

Mark Rypien was behind Williams and Schroeder in DC, and won a Superbowl. Tom Brady backed up Bledsoe (he was actually 4th on the depth chart his rookie year.) Roger Staubach rode the bench his rookie year. Jim Plunkett bounced from New England to San Francisco to Oakland, then was a backup for two years with the Raiders before winning two Superbowls.

Looking at the chatter surrounding Janine Garappolo...

So my buddy and I we were wondering, is there QB like Cassel, Flynn, Osweiler, etc. who was a backup somewhere and received big bucks through free agency, or trade and worked out well for the new team?

In other words, someone bought into them big time and it paid off.

Rich Gannon did pretty well. Steve Bono had some success as well

and you know he has talent based on???

Did you watch a ton of his games in college at eastern Illinois?

Beat a mediocre Cardinals team( who the Bills destroyed) cause the Cards kicker missed a game-winning field goal.

For a half, was tearing up a Miami defence that had yet to gell...and again who the Bills put up almost 600 yards on that very same...when they were playing much better,

I am not saying he doesn't have talent...but if this kid is not screaming Bryan Flynn , Rob Johnson, and Scott Mitchell, i dont know who is.

And the fact the Pats are willing to trade him i conference, with a soon to be 40yr old starter, should tell you all you need to know.

Brady didn't light it up when he took over for Bledsoe. In fact, RJ probably had a better first 6 games than Brady did. But it's the system and coaching that Jimmy receives that's that intangible.

Brady didn't light it up when he took over for Bledsoe. In fact, RJ probably had a better first 6 games than Brady did. But it's the system and coaching that Jimmy receives that's that intangible.

I dont understand your point i guess. You said he had talent..i asked how do you know that?

Looking at the chatter surrounding Janine Garappolo...

So my buddy and I we were wondering, is there QB like Cassel, Flynn, Osweiler, etc. who was a backup somewhere and received big bucks through free agency, or trade and worked out well for the new team?

In other words, someone bought into them big time and it paid off.

It kinda depends how you define "worked out well for the new team" vs "greatness".

Schaub was traded to the Texans after 3 years backing up Vick, just in time for Vick to get the Bad Newz he had to go to prison. Schaub's 7 year career with the Texans included 2 playoff appearances and overall good performance as QB. I don't think you'd call him "great", and he flamed out in his last year with them, but overall I think you'd have to say he worked out well.

Going back a ways, Matt Hasselbeck from GB to the Seahawks probably worked out well. 2 years dueling for the starting role, then 5 straight playoff appearances. Again, I'm not sure you'd call Hasselbeck "great", but he worked out well as a trade.

Going back further, you'd have to say Young being traded to the 49ers as Montana's backup wound up working well for the 49ers after Young took over the starting role. Young was unquestionably a great QB. Took 4 years for that to happen, though.

There've been a lot more trades where I'd have to say it didn't work out that well.

Depends on how you define backup and success elsewhere. If your talking players who were on another team and went elsewhere to become good players, favre and young are good examples, flute had success in another league before coming to buffalo, and was a backup in the NFL before the cfl.

As for Garoppolo, if rumors are true and the Browns get him, I think it's a lock he won't have success and just join the long list of names from the QB dumpster

Yes, I agree with this. Rodgers, and any qb drafted as a plan for succession for their starter isn't really a backup QB

Tom Brady is the best backup story of all time.

Depends on how you define backup and success elsewhere. If your talking players who were on another team and went elsewhere to become good players, favre and young are good examples, flute had success in another league before coming to buffalo, and was a backup in the NFL before the cfl.

As for Garoppolo, if rumors are true and the Browns get him, I think it's a lock he won't have success and just join the long list of names from the QB dumpster

I sort of have the mental picture of Garappolo like the image of a pet resisting getting into a bathtub, clinging frantically to the faucets or the sides of the tub crying "No! No! NOoooooOOOOO!"

Like this

Use-cat-in-your-household-5.jpg