Has a backup qb gone onto greatness somewhere else

judman

Hasselbeck, no. He was the starter when he left both of his first two teams.

No he wasn't. He was drafted by Green Bay had two years as the backup to Favre before going to Seattle where he had a pretty good 10 year run as a starter including taking them to their first Superbowl appearance.

"Great"? Maybe not. But pretty darn good.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he wasn't. He was drafted by Green Bay had two years as the backup to Favre before going to Seattle where he had a pretty good 10 year run as a starter including taking them to their first Superbowl appearance.

"Great"? Maybe not. But pretty darn good.

Doh!!!

You're right, I'll correct that in my post. Appreciate it.

I'm not sure Warner really meets the criteria. He was never a "backup" in Green Bay. He was a camp arm - an UDFA who was released before the season started. He then bumped around the arena league and NFL Europe before he caught on as a backup in St Louis. But then he went on to have his success in the same place where he had been the backup.

I think the OP is looking for situations where one team takes another team's established backup and makes him their starter and it works out... Gannon, Steve Young and Plunkett kind of count... but the were really failed starters turned backups who suddenly turned into quality NFL passers late in their career rather than guys who had been career backups.

I think the ones that really count are Delhomme, Brunell and Hasselbeck from my memory who were genuine backups somewhere and then went to another team and developed into starters who in two cases took their teams to Superbowls and the other to AFC title games.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't think he was talking about the Brady situation where a rookie backup later earned the job.

From the examples I saw it as 3-4 year backup that flashed 1-2 times and got handed a long term big deal starter deal.

Matt Schuab being a prime example of it working well. Cassel being a mediocre one at best, rob Johnson and on and on.

Even favre isn't really what I read his question as intending

Hell, even tyrod is probably a stretch as we didn't give him a starter deal out of the gate

This is EXACTLY what I meant in the original post. Name a QB that was a backup, flashed a bit, and got a big deal with another team through trade or free agency.

There are many examples of big deals like this that didn't work (Flynn, Osweiler) as stated. Who is the guy that had that big deal around him and the fans say "I cannot believe he was the backup for that team, look what he's done for us?" Even Young was in waiting for a while before he started for SF.

This is EXACTLY what I meant in the original post. Name a QB that was a backup, flashed a bit, and got a big deal with another team through trade or free agency.

There are many examples of big deals like this that didn't work (Flynn, Osweiler) as stated. Who is the guy that had that big deal around him and the fans say "I cannot believe he was the backup for that team, look what he's done for us?" Even Young was in waiting for a while before he started for SF.

Yea I think the three I mentioned and Schaub are the closest to what you were really looking for in recent memory at least.

Kurt Warner WAS a backup before coming to St. Louis. He was the backup quarterback for the Amsterdam Admirals of the WFL. His dad told him that if he couldn't start in the WFL, maybe he should think about giving up the pro football dream. Kurt's response was, "I don't know dad....this Jake Delhomme guy I'm backing up is actually pretty good."

Edited by fergie's ire

Kurt Warner WAS a backup before coming to St. Louis. He was the backup quarterback for the Amsterdam Admirals of the WFL. His dad told him that if he couldn't start in the WFL, maybe he should think about giving up the pro football dream. Kurt's response was, "I don't know dad....this Jake Delhomme guy I'm backing up is actually pretty good."

I think that is the other way round..... I think Warner started and Delhomme backed up.

Not Warner. He wasn't a backup for the Packers, he was let go. If you counted that kind of guy, you'd have to throw in Johnny Unitas too.

Wrong. Warner never made the roster in GB. 4 years later he was with STL Rams as the 3rd string QB. The next year he was 2nd string.

Warner is the supreme example.

Wrong. Warner never made the roster in GB. 4 years later he was with STL Rams as the 3rd string QB. The next year he was 2nd string.

Warner is the supreme example.

But the OP wasn't talking about backups who ended up starting for the same team they backed up on. He was talking about someone who has only been a backup to that point getting picked up by a different team who make him their starter.

But the OP wasn't talking about backups who ended up starting for the same team they backed up on. He was talking about someone who has only been a backup to that point getting picked up by a different team who make him their starter.

True. But he was Leinart's backup in AZ and then would ultimately led them to the SB!

So if you piece together all his backup stints (he was backup to Eli Manning too), maybe...

Edited by Mr. WEO

True. But he was Leinart's backup in AZ and then would ultimately led them to the SB!

So if you piece together all his backup stints (he was backup to Eli Manning too), maybe...

Yes but by that time he was a dumped starter turned backup. Again I don't think that was what the OP was originally looking for.

Don't get me wrong... nothing against Warner his story is sensational, I loved him as a player, and I hope on Saturday night he finally becomes a Hall of Famer.

Yes but by that time he was a dumped starter turned backup. Again I don't think that was what the OP was originally looking for.

Don't get me wrong... nothing against Warner his story is sensational, I loved him as a player, and I hope on Saturday night he finally becomes a Hall of Famer.

I'm trying..lol

He should be in the HOF without a doubt.

Stories don't make wins

The best stories arent about the people that win the most. Its about the people who lose the most and still find a way to win!

To getting benched by the Giants for Eli to backing up Matt Lienert to starter again and SB again.

Craig Morton

Played for Marv at Cal. In Marv's book he says Craig was beat athlete he ever coached.

Was the starter in Dallas and played in the loss to Baltimore. Then benched for Roger. Traded to Giants when Roger took over. Ended up on Denver and getting the team to SB XIII only to get clobbered by Roger and the boys.

Thats kinda awesome. Vince McMahon couldnt have booked a better Wrestlemania rivalry than that. Heel Cowboys always win tho!

That SB Cardinals season was amazing tho. Warner was on fire. 2nd wind was crazy. If not for a lack luster defense he coulda had a 2nd ring.