Your thoughts on McDermott and his coordinators.

I'm not a fan of Crossman, but if they get a good kicker - bear in mind that great UDFAs from college seem to come out every year - he starts looking a lot better. Between the misses on FGs and XPs plus the inability to drive it deep on kickoffs, the STs ended up looking pretty bad. They need a much more consistent punter too. But I can't blame Crossman for the failings of Schmidt and Carpenter. He can't kick the ball for them. Overall, the coverage was generally OK.

The stupid mistakes and lack of awareness reflect poorly on Crossman. He's as bad as it gets with Ronnie Jones out of the league.

1) Neutral on McDermott. Not that impressed with track record but HC is an entirely different job.

2) Don't care for Frazier......but his front is a traditionally better fit for personnel than Rex D was. Hopefully he and McDermott can flex and adapt their systems to deal with New England. On surface they look vulnerable.

3) Like Dennison scheme history a lot and hopeful he can take some of the success from Roman's playbook and incorporate it.............playcalling on gameday remains to be seen.

4) Crossman is a joke.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the office and fans need to be patient. Stable teams like Pitt and NE and GB don't change coaches every 2 years

The "stable teams don't change coaches every two years" statement is a classic case of "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy...that is, "winning occurred after these teams stabilized their coaching, therefore coaching stability caused the winning."

In reality, these teams don't win because they have stable coaches...they have coaching stability because their coaches win (and therefore get retained).

All three of the coaches for the teams you mentioned had winning records by their second season with the team.

In his second season at Green Bay, Mike McCarthy went 13-3, won the NFC North, and advanced to the NFC Championship game. Mike Tomlin was 10-6 in year one, 12-4 in year two, made the playoffs both times and won the Super Bowl in his second year. Bill Belichick was 11-5 in year two and won the Super Bowl.

These teams weren't good because they were stable, they had owners who invested in stability once they got good. If any of Buffalo's coaches had made it to the playoffs or won the Super Bowl within their first two years, we'd have stability, too.

I'm good with McDermott, Dennison and Frazier. I think that group is solid. I think Crossman stinks.

I think the group is solid. I think it's our best staff since Wade. I agree Crossman stinks. Edited by Manther

Cautiously optimistic.

I am very confident that we will see a radically improved run defense in one year alone.

I am afraid we will get absolutely shredded by the Patriots 2 games next year, which will once again leave the Bills competing for a wild card at best.

And I simply don't understand why Crossman was retained. Obviously these coaches see something in him that fans don't.

I'm not a fan of Crossman, but if they get a good kicker - bear in mind that great UDFAs from college seem to come out every year - he starts looking a lot better. Between the misses on FGs and XPs plus the inability to drive it deep on kickoffs, the STs ended up looking pretty bad. They need a much more consistent punter too. But I can't blame Crossman for the failings of Schmidt and Carpenter. He can't kick the ball for them. Overall, the coverage was generally OK.

The punting and kicking coaches along with their assistants failed us miserably!

The "stable teams don't change coaches every two years" statement is a classic case of "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy...that is, "winning occurred after these teams stabilized their coaching, therefore coaching stability caused the winning."

In reality, these teams don't win because they have stable coaches...they have coaching stability because their coaches win (and therefore get retained).

All three of the coaches for the teams you mentioned had winning records by their second season with the team.

In his second season at Green Bay, Mike McCarthy went 13-3, won the NFC North, and advanced to the NFC Championship game. Mike Tomlin was 10-6 in year one, 12-4 in year two, made the playoffs both times and won the Super Bowl in his second year. Bill Belichick was 11-5 in year two and won the Super Bowl.

These teams weren't good because they were stable, they had owners who invested in stability once they got good. If any of Buffalo's coaches had made it to the playoffs or won the Super Bowl within their first two years, we'd have stability, too.

This is the part that most fans don't get. Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Rex Ryan You could give them all five seasons or more and all you would have is 5+ years of losing.

Sean McDermott has his work cut out for him and he is younger and more energetic than Ryan. Discipline wasn't the only thing wrong with the Bills the last two years. They QB had issues, the WR corps had issues, special teams had issues, the line isn't solidified at RT and because of that weakness the better linebackers, DE's will exploit that turnstile. The defense had issues with tackling, safety, CB problems and lastly communication issues.

Then, so much of what this new HC is able to get accomplished is also on the GM to properly fill in the holes in the roster and get the players he needs to have a successful season. What QB? What RT? What S, CB?

the office and fans need to be patient. Stable teams like Pitt and NE and GB don't change coaches every 2 years

Interesting that the teams with future hall of fame/franchise QB's all have long standing coaches, you may just be onto something here...

what do all "stable" teams have in common ?

a franchise qb

Agreed. You could swap the falcons entire coaching staff with ours and our guys would be in the super bowl this year. Also just look at a guy like AVP-- does anyone believe he is a fabulous coordinator, who is responsible for Aaron Rodgers' succsss?

Coaching Success, with basically two exceptions (bellichick and joe Gibbs) is solely dependent on star QB play.

It wouldn't have mattered who they hired. I hate this coaching staff out of principle.

For those that know nary a bit of your sufferings, principles is the correct term methinks.

No dumpster fire

I keep forgetting the question, when dumpster fire and dysfunction are often the pat answers

It's hard to say until we see them in action.

I like that McDermott and most of them appear to be detail-oriented and seem competent. Rex was charismatic, empathetic to his players, and perhaps at one time he was a creative schemer — but maybe not so much with the details and the competence.

Hopefully it's a good transition. I personally have no feeling on it yet, I'm ambivalent until there's more to go on. I think there are some optimistic indicators — but I'm also reminded of my reactions to the Gregg Williams, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, and even Doug Marrone hires. I guess even within those guys, there's a spectrum of success McDermott could land on. But those were different times and different Bills so there's no sense assuming the past will be a predictor any more than it will be prologue.

Until FA and the draft, we don't have any decisions yet to judge so there's nothing to say, really.

Basically — just hoping for the best.

OK but then who would you be happy with?

Typically every year there are two groups of potential coaches available, coaches like McDermott and Dennison who've never been HC or coordinators and teams will give them a shot. Or you have retreads like Rex, Chan Gailey, Marrone, and many other similar names who've failed elsewhere and the next team to hire them hope they will do much better. So your choice is a re-tread or someone who's likely never really run things. Sometimes the re-treads learn and improve, and some first time coaches do very well. IMO the number of re-treads that improve their 2nd time around is lower than the number of brand new coaches who succeed.

McDermott, Frazier and Dennison are all legit guys. If we hadn't hired them for their current positions - some other team would have. If not this year, then at some time in the future.

But here's my concern. McDermott will implement his defensive scheme here. But he has very little experience running his own D. Ron Rivera was the architect of the Panther defense.

Likewise, Dennison has never run his own offensive show. He's always been a Kubiak guy. Kubiak was the architect of Denver's offense.

So are we getting cheap Rivera and Kubiak knock-offs. Or will we witness the student surpassing the master?

We have no way of knowing this in advance so I'm with QTR when he says he's not passing judgment until Week 10.

I think the group is solid. I think it's our best staff since Wade. I agree Crossman stinks.

Cautiously optimistic.

I am very confident that we will see a radically improved run defense in one year alone.

I am afraid we will get absolutely shredded by the Patriots 2 games next year, which will once again leave the Bills competing for a wild card at best.

And I simply don't understand why Crossman was retained. Obviously these coaches see something in him that fans don't.

Agree I was surprised about Crossman. I also think we will not be !@#$ing up during games like Rex's teams did. Sean M. seems organized and disciplined, 2 things wrecks never was.

Edited by horned dogs

For the first time in a long while, I don't hate the hires. I think they could even surprise us. I'm interested in how they work with Whaley and what kind of players they bring in. Overall, cautiously optimistic like a bunch of others.

Agreed

Agreed. You could swap the falcons entire coaching staff with ours and our guys would be in the super bowl this year. Also just look at a guy like AVP-- does anyone believe he is a fabulous coordinator, who is responsible for Aaron Rodgers' succsss?

Coaching Success, with basically two exceptions (bellichick and joe Gibbs) is solely dependent on star QB play.

Perhaps if you swapped the Falcons GM, assistant GM and team president you might have a Buffalo roster capable of getting to a super bowl. Perhaps the Facons doctors and trainers too.

Tyrod Taylor isn't close to a talent like a QB Matt Ryan! The Bills have three decent receivers similar to the Falcons and yet the Bills players can't stay healthy. Watkins played in 8 games and was actually useful in only two of those. Clay had more than 60 yards in only four games. Goodwin had two good games of over 50 yards. Woods had only two games of over 60 yards. The RT position was a turnstile. Safety and CB positions were poor at best most of the year.

Great coaching can't overcome a lack of talent or injuries.