TT gets probowl invite

CanadianFan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's well documented how you and I don't see eye to eye on who is most responsible for the successes of the offense.

The stats look pretty, but they beg these questions:

Why did he run so much?

Why did they score so much, but lose so many games?

How can they lead the league in rushing, but be near the bottom of the league in Time of Possession?

How many of these points were scored in garbage time?

How many times did we score when we needed a score to take a lead or win a game?

The answers to those questions make it clear to many people that the offense did well in spite of Tyrod; not because of him. The offense did well because of McCoy and the O-line.

A Pro Bowl berth really means squat.

However ... I'm fully prepared for the Bills to keep Tyrod and I will hope for the best if that happens. I just think that the statistics paint a very deceiving picture and the proof is really in the pudding. Watching the games means a lot more than looking at bloated stats.

No offense, but actually I would say you are wrong about this...you see I DO know the answers to those questions, and I don't think you do. I think you assume and believe your assumptions based on your opinion of him, but I actually know the exact answers to those questions you presented and have posted that information quite a bit. I don't say this out of disrespect, but it gets really old around here when people claim factors that don't actually add up. I am not going to go into all of them because you can read about them in other threads where I posted them. But I will address one here to show you what I mean and also because a few people keep posting nonsense about this particular item.

Garbage Time: I hate this false claim, its utter non sense, and I don't blame you as I am sure you believe it, but the truth is that it did not occur basically at all the entire season. Garbage Time is when a team is losing bad and then compiles easy points at the end of the game of those bad losses while the D essentially pulled some players and played soft because the outcome was already decided.

1. 8 Losses with TT as the QB.

2. 6 of them were by 6 points or LESS. None of those games consisted of "garbage time", they were all 1 score losses and games we were in late into them.

3. The other 2 losses by more than 6 were to Oakland and New England.

4. In Oakland we were up 24-9 in the 3rd quarter and the D gave up 4 straight touchdowns. The Bills scored ZERO in the 4th...so cross this game off the list of garbage time.

5. Against NE, we only scored just 7 points in the 4th quarter. So, at most as we sit right now, there were a total of 7 points out of the 399 we scored on the season that qualify for "garbage time".

6. We were FIFTH in the NFL in scoring under Taylor, and every team in the NFL has "garbage points" opportunities. NONE of you have backed out ANY garbage time from ANY other team. Yet the Bills only amassed SEVEN points in garbage time, which is nothing and has NO change in our offensive scoring ranking even BEFORE you back out the teams ahead of us garbage time.

Screw it...lets address another.

How did we score so much and lose so many games: Lets look at the REAL defense. That means lets check the 15 games other than the ONE fluke shutout that was an anomaly because the Pats were without Brady, Gronk and had a 3rd string rookie QB with an injured hand. Yes, we can overlook this fluke because those are extreme circumstances (NE and Brady dropped 41 on us a few weeks later) and not a TRUE indicator of how we played the other 15 games if we want to asses WHY we lost despite our scoring power.

1. We gave up 25.2 POINTS per game, which is 26th in the NFL. Under TT, we scored at least 25 points in 10 of his 15 starts and averaged 26.4 points per game. But when your D surrenders points at will and is at the bottom of the league, it makes it really hard for a team to win. NOTE: If Brady plays week 4 and hits his average production against us, we drop even lower. If he does what he did to us a few weeks later we fall to 28th in the NFL.

2. We were a running team. A running team that still averaged over 26.4 points per game, which is both hard and rare to average so many points when running is first form of attack. When your Defense keeps surrendering points, its puts more pressure on a run first team to have to KEEP scoring, and late in games, have to score fast because the D put you in a tough position.

Screw it: Time of Possession (TOP): As a running team, we were still explosive and had many quick strike drives in both the passing game and running game. Our TOP was poor because our D was awful. Show me a bad D where the team had a great TOP ratio...go ahead, try and find one.

Well now we are almost through your list, so lets finish.

Why did he run so much: Already answered above, but in case it wasnt clear...that was our offensive design in the first place. Tyrod is not perfect by any means, and he left opportunities on the field when he ran too soon, but he also has less than 2 seasons of starts under his belt and can easily improve in this area. But the main answer was that our offense was built around him being a major contributor with his legs and he created a TON of points and plays that would have been lost if not for his legs.

How many times did we score wen we needed a score to take a lead or win a game? First off, this is not a stat that falls directly on a QB. Second, someone posted an article about how Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 against teams with winning records when down 1 point in the 4th quarter...so CLEARLY, this is not just a QB stat because we KNOW Rodgers is Elite. More importantly, how many times did penalties kill drives by other players? How many times did we have the lead late and our D gave up points to lose the lead putting the pressure back on the offense? How many times did Taylor get the ball and have 1 or no timeouts because Rex wasted them earlier or we had injuries cost us some. How many times did a missed XP or FG by carpenter make it so we needed a TD instead of a FG? How many times was Taylor without a healthy Sammy or other playmakers?

There are a LOT of factors that go into this, not just what did TT do. And lets not forget, he is a young QB in terms of on field experience and still developing and had to do so with a turbulent staff, 2 OC's in 2 seasons, and without his best play makers often hurt.

Edited by Alphadawg7

No offense, but actually I would say you are wrong about this...you see I DO know the answers to those questions, and I don't think you do. I think you assume and believe your assumptions based on your opinion of him, but I actually know the exact answers to those questions you presented and have posted that information quite a bit. I don't say this out of disrespect, but it gets really old around here when people claim factors that don't actually add up. I am not going to go into all of them because you can read about them in other threads where I posted them. But I will address one here to show you what I mean and also because a few people keep posting nonsense about this particular item.

Garbage Time: I hate this false claim, its utter non sense, and I don't blame you as I am sure you believe it, but the truth is that it did not occur basically at all the entire season. Garbage Time is when a team is losing bad and then compiles easy points at the end of the game of those bad losses while the D essentially pulled some players and played soft because the outcome was already decided.

2. 6 of them were by 6 points or LESS. None of those games consisted of "garbage time", they were all 1 score losses and games we were in late into them.

4. In Oakland we were up 24-9 in the 3rd quarter and the D gave up 4 straight touchdowns. The Bills scored ZERO in the 4th...so cross this game off the list of garbage time.

5. Against NE, we only scored just 7 points in the 4th quarter. So, at most as we sit right now, there were a total of 7 points out of the 399 we scored on the season that qualify for "garbage time".

6. We were FIFTH in the NFL in scoring under Taylor, and every team in the NFL has "garbage points" opportunities. NONE of you have backed out ANY garbage time from ANY other team. Yet the Bills only amassed SEVEN points in garbage time, which is nothing and has NO change in our offensive scoring ranking even BEFORE you back out the teams ahead of us garbage time.

How did we score so much and lose so many games: Lets look at the REAL defense. That means lets check the 15 games other than the ONE fluke shutout that was an anomaly because the Pats were without Brady, Gronk and had a 3rd string rookie QB with an injured hand. Yes, we can overlook this fluke because those are extreme circumstances (NE and Brady dropped 41 on us a few weeks later) and not a TRUE indicator of how we played the other 15 games if we want to asses WHY we lost despite our scoring power.

1. We gave up 25.2 POINTS per game, which is 26th in the NFL. Under TT, we scored at least 25 points in 10 of his 15 starts and averaged 26.4 points per game. But when your D surrenders points at will and is at the bottom of the league, it makes it really hard for a team to win. NOTE: If Brady plays week 4 and hits his average production against us, we drop even lower. If he does what he did to us a few weeks later we fall to 28th in the NFL.

2. We were a running team. A running team that still averaged over 26.4 points per game, which is both hard and rare to average so many points when running is first form of attack. When your Defense keeps surrendering points, its puts more pressure on a run first team to have to KEEP scoring, and late in games, have to score fast because the D put you in a tough position.

Screw it: Time of Possession (TOP): As a running team, we were still explosive and had many quick strike drives in both the passing game and running game. Our TOP was poor because our D was awful. Show me a bad D where the team had a great TOP ratio...go ahead, try and find one.

Why did he run so much: Already answered above, but in case it wasnt clear...that was our offensive design in the first place. Tyrod is not perfect by any means, and he left opportunities on the field when he ran too soon, but he also has less than 2 seasons of starts under his belt and can easily improve in this area. But the main answer was that our offense was built around him being a major contributor with his legs and he created a TON of points and plays that would have been lost if not for his legs.

How many times did we score wen we needed a score to take a lead or win a game? First off, this is not a stat that falls directly on a QB. Second, someone posted an article about how Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 against teams with winning records when down 1 point in the 4th quarter...so CLEARLY, this is not just a QB stat because we KNOW Rodgers is Elite. More importantly, how many times did penalties kill drives by other players? How many times did we have the lead late and our D gave up points to lose the lead putting the pressure back on the offense? How many times did Taylor get the ball and have 1 or no timeouts because Rex wasted them earlier or we had injuries cost us some. How many times did a missed XP or FG by carpenter make it so we needed a TD instead of a FG? How many times was Taylor without a healthy Sammy or other playmakers?

There are a LOT of factors that go into this, not just what did TT do. And lets not forget, he is a young QB in terms of on field experience and still developing and had to do so with a turbulent staff, 2 OC's in 2 seasons, and without his best play makers often hurt.

tumblr_ncvvn9m2FM1shtqapo1_500.gif

Edited by PromoTheRobot

:thumbsup::worthy:

1. We gave up 25.2 POINTS per game, which is 26th in the NFL.

This sums up TT's key issues and Rex's tenure as coach. TT isn't exactly a come back QB even with a Watkins as a receiver. Yet he'd have more wins as a QB if the D held up their end. And that's the tragedy of the last two seasons under Rex. He had the best O he ever had, and his undoing was his D. Rex knows this, and I bet you this has to kill him.

This sums up TT's key issues and Rex's tenure as coach. TT isn't exactly a come back QB even with a Watkins as a receiver. Yet he'd have more wins as a QB if the D held up their end. And that's the tragedy of the last two seasons under Rex. He had the best O he ever had, and his undoing was his D. Rex knows this, and I bet you this has to kill him.

yeah, totally agree with you on this, good points

The stats look pretty, but they beg these questions:

Why did he run so much?

Why did they score so much, but lose so many games?

How can they lead the league in rushing, but be near the bottom of the league in Time of Possession?

How many of these points were scored in garbage time?

How many times did we score when we needed a score to take a lead or win a game?

Why did he run so much? BECAUSE THE RT SUCKS , THE RG IS MEDIOCRE AND THE CENTER WAS INJURED.

Why did they score so much, but lose so many games? BECAUSE THE DEFENSE SUCKED MORE THAN THE RIGHT SIDE OF O-LINE.

How can they lead the league in rushing, but be near the bottom of the league in Time of Possession? SHADY IS TO FAST

How many of these points were scored in garbage time? THE LEAST OF OUR PROBLEMS

How many times did we score when we needed a score to take a lead or win a game? WHY COULDN'T THE DEFENSE HOLD THE LEADS THEY WERE GIVEN (SEE RAIDERS)

guess I need to keep saying it....i'm all for upgrading the QB position.....but i'm not getting rid of TT until that person is a known lock on the team. not cutting him and going hoping, fishing

Edited by papazoid

Why did he run so much? BECAUSE THE RT SUCKS , THE RG IS MEDIOCRE AND THE CENTER WAS INJURED.

Why did they score so much, but lose so many games? BECAUSE THE DEFENSE SUCKED MORE THAN THE RIGHT SIDE OF O-LINE.

How can they lead the league in rushing, but be near the bottom of the league in Time of Possession? SHADY IS TO FAST

How many of these points were scored in garbage time? THE LEAST OF OUR PROBLEMS

How many times did we score when we needed a score to take a lead or win a game? WHY COULDN'T THE DEFENSE HOLD THE LEADS THEY WERE GIVEN (SEE RAIDERS)

Why was Taylor 18/35 for 191 and no Td's vs a cellar dwelling defense.

Excuses excuses excuses. If if if and if, the #CoT credo

Edited by Ryan L Billz

the defense quit on REX led by the cancer Dareus

we had the 7th highest scoring offense

IF we had the 7th lowest scoring defense ....we'd be in the playoffs and not talking about TT's option.

Agreed...and just a side note: 5th highest scoring under TT...EJ played the last game and dropped them 2 spots.

Edited by Alphadawg7

All of these Yah arguments. Then why can't he throw to an out route? Why can't he throw a slant? Why can't he seemingly hit any open wr/te/rb on any given play, or ever EVER throw a receiver open. A quarterback that cannot throw a football isn't the long term solution for this team, or any team. This pro bowl nod is no indication that the Bills should move forward with him at the helm. Just my opinion, but I don't believe he's the answer by any means on earth.

How can he go to Pro Bowl with his surgery he just had?

He isn't playing due to the surgery that he just had. Ditto Tannehill, Siemian, etc who were down the list and had surgery so can't play. Pretty soon one of the 17 Browns QBs is going to be playing in the pro bowl. Edited by YoloinOhio

He isn't playing due to the surgery that he just had. Ditto Tannehill, Siemian, etc who were down the list and had surgery so can't play. Pretty soon one of the 17 Browns QBs is going to be playing in the pro bowl.

OK, made me laugh! :)

Maybe because your 30th ranked passing yards doesn't tell the whole picture. LEAST amount of ATTEMPTS in the NFL on a running offense means less passing yards. Ask Drew Brees and his average of over 5000 passing yards the last 3 seasons how important that stat is to making the playoffs considering he has a worse record than Taylor (while Brees played in a worse division) and has sat home for 3 straight years and 4 of the last 5 years.

Offense under Taylor:

23 TD's in 15 games to only 7 INTs.

#1 QB in the NFL in rushing yards

#1 QB in NFL in rushing TD's

Bills are 5th Scoring offense in the NFL in his 15 starts.

Bills are 3rd in NFL in Touchdowns in his 15 starts, only 2 behind the Saints.

Additional Factors: No Sammy for most of the year, no McCoy for almost 3 games (all of one, and most of 2 others), missed Glenn, Wood, and others on the OL for parts of year. Other WRs were either a dinged up Woods or guys who would struggle to play on other teams, and some would struggle to make the roster. OC change after week 2 to a first time OC. Stuck with Rex for 2 years which everyone here says was one of the worst coaches in the NFL. Has less than 2 seasons worth of games as a starter, yet was named to Pro Bowl both years as one of the 5 best QB's in the NFL.

Look, no one is saying he lit the league on fire, but the point is he did ENOUGH for us to win and be in the playoffs while our Defense was 26th in the NFL in points allowed outside that one fluke NE shutout with no Brady or Gronk essentially and also against a 3rd string rookie with a bad hand. When your D gives up an average of over 25 points per game in the NFL over a 15 game span, more often than not you wont be a very good team without an absolute Elite QB and offense.

Did you take out EJ's two games in 2015 for those stats?

The Rodgers stat was actually down 1 point or more in the 4th Q. So if they had an off night and were down 21, that counted. Terrible stat.

Lots of those 6 points or less games were up multiple scores and TT scored against prevent and then the game ended.

Edited by FireChan

Excellent post. Tyrod is a keeper.

Maybe because your 30th ranked passing yards doesn't tell the whole picture. LEAST amount of ATTEMPTS in the NFL on a running offense means less passing yards. Ask Drew Brees and his average of over 5000 passing yards the last 3 seasons how important that stat is to making the playoffs considering he has a worse record than Taylor (while Brees played in a worse division) and has sat home for 3 straight years and 4 of the last 5 years.

Offense under Taylor:

23 TD's in 15 games to only 7 INTs.

#1 QB in the NFL in rushing yards

#1 QB in NFL in rushing TD's

Bills are 5th Scoring offense in the NFL in his 15 starts.

Bills are 3rd in NFL in Touchdowns in his 15 starts, only 2 behind the Saints.

Additional Factors: No Sammy for most of the year, no McCoy for almost 3 games (all of one, and most of 2 others), missed Glenn, Wood, and others on the OL for parts of year. Other WRs were either a dinged up Woods or guys who would struggle to play on other teams, and some would struggle to make the roster. OC change after week 2 to a first time OC. Stuck with Rex for 2 years which everyone here says was one of the worst coaches in the NFL. Has less than 2 seasons worth of games as a starter, yet was named to Pro Bowl both years as one of the 5 best QB's in the NFL.

Look, no one is saying he lit the league on fire, but the point is he did ENOUGH for us to win and be in the playoffs while our Defense was 26th in the NFL in points allowed outside that one fluke NE shutout with no Brady or Gronk essentially and also against a 3rd string rookie with a bad hand. When your D gives up an average of over 25 points per game in the NFL over a 15 game span, more often than not you wont be a very good team without an absolute Elite QB and offense.

But it's hard for a Bills fan to digest all of what you wrote, they just blame it all on the QB for the most part !!

If you don't win in 2 years your GONE !! Then we all watch players like Hogan go to the SB & go why didn't he do that while he was here ?

The Bills haven't had a decent QB in so long that we as fans don't understand what a decent QB looks like any more & have a tendency to think a good one (once found) isn't any good ! Like we do about T.T.

The Bills need to keep T.T. because his contract is decent for a QB that has went to or been asked to the Pro bowl 2 seasons in a row. Let him be the gap until "That Guy" is found to take the future roll as the Bills QB !

He's a lot better than Fitz & not a interception magnet either !!

Good post by the way !!

Edited by T master