The Trump Economy

GG

I work in contracting, costs will go up, which will be born by the consumer. Today we are talking Steel and aluminum. The consumer will bear the cost of any revival.

Other industries will have their own layoffs. 

We are finally heading towards some loosening of the purse strings, both on the consumer level  and corporate level. I’m skeptical of anything that leads to people tightening up, which would offset a lot of the good accomplished this year.

“Global Automakers said that President George W. Bush’s 2002 steel tariffs cost the economy 200,000 jobs, including 30,000 in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.”

I was too young at the time and not concerned with these things, but tell me how we’ll be better off this time?

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

I work in contracting, costs will go up, which will be born by the consumer. Today we are talking Steel and aluminum. The consumer will bear the cost of any revival.

Other industries will have their own layoffs. 

We are finally heading towards some loosening of the purse strings, both on the consumer level  and corporate level. I’m skeptical of anything that leads to people tightening up, which would offset a lot of the good accomplished this year.

“Global Automakers said that President George W. Bush’s 2002 steel tariffs cost the economy 200,000 jobs, including 30,000 in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.”

I was too young at the time and not concerned with these things, but tell me how we’ll be better off this time?

so Big Unions have something to bad to say about Bush?

wow, that's nothing to really pay much attention to

Trump is completely unstable in every facet. With respect to the trade war he is trying to initiate, he does so based on his faulty facts. For a year now he has been bitching about the trade deficit with Canada, which isn’t accurate. Then this week he signs a report produced by the WH that states the US has a trade surplus with Canada.

13 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'm not a Trump supporter, but that has little to do with my point.

Do those who are "outraged" by this have any idea how the US is disadvantaged in trade?

Have you ever been to China and seen what US goods are priced at?

Is your outrage a reasonable response based on knowledge of how unfair and protectionist many of our trade partners are?

So wouldn’t you suppose addressing unfair trade with another country is the best solution? Not unilateral tariffs that hurt countries with whom you are allies and you have a trade surplus?

• Like (+1) 1

I will reserve judgement until I see the final wording and logic behind it.

I'm quite certain he is not trying to initiate a trade war.

My entire career was spent traveling to other countries, and it is absurd the way the US is disadvantaged intentionally, on both sides of trade.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Trade wars are good, any easy to win!

Thank goodness we have a conservative president who supports... high import tariffs. I don't even know what the GOP stands for these days.

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

For a year now he has been bitching about the trade deficit with Canada, which isn’t accurate.

He doesn't understand what a trade deficit is. He seems to think that if you pay a plumber $200 to fix your sink, you now have a $200 deficit with nothing to show for it.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, GG said:

Not if the tariffs actually go in effect

i'm sure you have all the implications figured out about that?

and don't forget that what we are told is barely anything near what actually gets implemented and done.

quote: For a year now he has been bitching about the trade deficit with Canada, which isn’t accurate

Canada since the 1800s wanted a Free Trade Agreement, the Conservatives signed the first in the late 1980s, with the Liberals screaming a fake bloody murder.  The Federal Election was basically a referendum on Free Trade and won convincingly.

Now the Liberals are in charge again, with no old guard policy men to negotiate for us.

5 minutes ago, garybusey said:
How stupid can one be?

It seems to me that this is simply his usual tactic of starting from an extreme position before working down to a compromise. That's pretty much been his MO from the start, and people keep falling for it.

Anyone remember Trumpanzees bitching about "fake news" tanking the stock market in December? I sure do. (the dow dropped a whopping 350 points...)

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2017/12/02/abcs-brian-ross--crashed-the-market-n2417149

https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/abc-news-corrects-flynn-bombshell-after-stocks-tank/

Will these same Trumpanzees B word as much about Trump manipulating the stock market with his tweets about trade, steel, and aluminum industries? 

Edited by garybusey

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and don't forget that what we are told is barely anything near what actually gets implemented and done.

quote: For a year now he has been bitching about the trade deficit with Canada, which isn’t accurate

Canada since the 1800s wanted a Free Trade Agreement, the Conservatives signed the first in the late 1980s, with the Liberals screaming a fake bloody murder.  The Federal Election was basically a referendum on Free Trade and won convincingly.

Now the Liberals are in charge again, with no old guard policy men to negotiate for us.

I can’t imagine the difficulty in negotiating with somebody like Trump. But add to that the incompetence of our federal Liberal government and I doubt it goes well.

21 minutes ago, Azalin said:

It seems to me that this is simply his usual tactic of starting from an extreme position before working down to a compromise. That's pretty much been his MO from the start, and people keep falling for it.

You forgot the last part, where he backs down, declares victory, his supporters cheer, and everyone else shakes their head at the stupidity of it all. 

30 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Anyone remember Trumpanzees bitching about "fake news" tanking the stock market in December? I sure do. (the dow dropped a whopping 350 points...)

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2017/12/02/abcs-brian-ross--crashed-the-market-n2417149

https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/abc-news-corrects-flynn-bombshell-after-stocks-tank/

Will these same Trumpanzees B word as much about Trump manipulating the stock market with his tweets about trade, steel, and aluminum industries? 

Down 350 already today.

!@#$ you Mr. President

39 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Not all people. Just those who are either too stupid or unwilling to understand it.

I mistakenly thought the meltdown would have ended by now, but he keeps spinning them up and they keep getting spun up, and if we have to have Trump for dinner, I am grateful he comes with a show.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Thank goodness we have a conservative president who supports... high import tariffs. I don't even know what the GOP stands for these days.

He doesn't understand what a trade deficit is. He seems to think that if you pay a plumber $200 to fix your sink, you now have a $200 deficit with nothing to show for it.

Why, it's almost like Trump was a lifelong Democrat who decided to switch parties when he saw an opportunity to market himself.

Gee, if only someone realized that earlier.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I usually draw a distinction between Trumps usual blather and an executive order that's about to go into effect. 

The good news is the response has been swift and severe enough for him to walk away from the ledge.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, garybusey said:

Down 350 already today.

!@#$ you Mr. President

Wait, I thought this was Obama's economy! You know, the same economy you morons just declared was Obama's doing a month ago?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

I usually draw a distinction between Trumps usual blather and an executive order that's about to go into effect. 

The good news is the response has been swift and severe enough for him to walk away from the ledge.  

We have already begun working on possible price increases; we are a fortune 500 dealing with steel, and outside of the auto Industry one of the larger consumers of it.

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

We have already begun working on possible price increases; we are a fortune 500 dealing with steel, and outside of the auto Industry one of the larger consumers of it.

I already had prepare a contingency downhill for taking price in the market due to increased cogs pressure that wasn’t apparent 6 months ago...and that was before this week happened.