The Trump Economy

GG

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Lazy ass? Smug prick?

Damn. I need to pay closer attention to this board. Had I known you were going to piss your nickers in anger, I would have tried to get a ticket to the show.

Why am I not surprised, however, that you think me asking someone to support their statements is considered a sh*tty rhetorical device? 

Because you know that you hardly, if ever, support your own statements? Because you're somewhat aware that you constantly hiding behind excuses and misdirections? I suppose that might be why.

Also — your weird piss fetish aside (why do all conservatives hav-- nevermind), me dropping in to call you names for being disingenuous doesn't indicate anger, darlin'. Just making sure you get a little bit of the same medicine you dole out regularly. Y'know, fair and balanced.

Looking forward to those 10 examples of you supporting your statements in a debate. Thanks!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trump ramping up the war of words over tariffs, threatening more tariffs in response to Europe's reaction to his actions just shows, yet again, he is trying to weaken the bonds that unite the democracies of the world. 

U.S. Trade Deficit Grew to $566 Billion in 2017, Its Widest Mark in Nine Years

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-trade-gap-highest-in-nine-years-in-december-1517923918

The national debt will keep going up as long as the trade deficit is this massive . We are no longer in a deep recession to warrant this kind of budget deficit.  imo

21 minutes ago, ALF said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-trade-gap-highest-in-nine-years-in-december-1517923918

The national debt will keep going up as long as the trade deficit is this massive . We are no longer in a deep recession to warrant this kind of budget deficit.  imo

The trade deficit and national debt are very different things. The trade deficits isn't really a true measure of our economic health vis a vis our trading partners. It does not include things like "invisible exports" like financial exports, the carrying trade profits and other things. It also shows how much of a market we are for foreign goods. It is a measure of how healthy our economy is as we can buy stuff. It is rising because our economy is growing so we buy more stuff. 

40 minutes ago, ALF said:

"Trade deficit" and "budget deficit" are not the same thing.  Unless you're a communist.

Friggin' commie.

18 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"Trade deficit" and "budget deficit" are not the same thing.  Unless you're a communist.

Friggin' commie.

The trade deficit and budget deficit both severely  hurt the economy   ?  I would think , would that make me a commie? 

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The trade deficit and national debt are very different things. The trade deficits isn't really a true measure of our economic health vis a vis our trading partners. It does not include things like "invisible exports" like financial exports, the carrying trade profits and other things. It also shows how much of a market we are for foreign goods. It is a measure of how healthy our economy is as we can buy stuff. It is rising because our economy is growing so we buy more stuff. 

Where does the Federal Reserve come into this?

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

The trade deficit and budget deficit both severely  hurt the economy   ?  I would think , would that make me a commie? 

But they're not the same thing.  The trade deficit is the difference in value between what the economy imports and what it exports.  The budget deficit is the difference between what the government spends and what it takes in.

The only way they're the same thing is if the government has complete control and ownership of the means of economic growth and production.  Ergo, only a commie would equate them.  

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'm actually kind-of glad you quoted him.  And disgusted.  Mostly disgusted - that was ridiculously ignorant, even by his standards.  

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'm kind of crazy wanting at least a balanced budget in prosperous times and a deficit during a deep  recession .  

Creating service jobs at min wage that don't pay fed taxes compared to lost manufacturing jobs and factories that did pay taxes, tell me about that.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But they're not the same thing.  The trade deficit is the difference in value between what the economy imports and what it exports.  The budget deficit is the difference between what the government spends and what it takes in.

No kidding 

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Ha! I actually know this. If we inflate our currency too much it will make the trade deficit grow much more as other countries will be able to sell even cheaper here and make our exports more expensive. 

Johan Larson scores!! 

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

I'm kind of crazy wanting at least a balanced budget in prosperous times and a deficit during a deep  recession .  

Creating service jobs at min wage that don't pay fed taxes compared to lost manufacturing jobs and factories that did pay taxes, tell me about that.

Manufacturing jobs are not coming back. Automation killed that. Not all service jobs are min wage. Not even most. Isn't nursing a service industry job? 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Manufacturing jobs are not coming back. Automation killed that. Not all service jobs are min wage. Not even most. Isn't nursing a service industry job? 

Nursing is a high skill professional job not fast food or retail. Less good paying  jobs equal less tax revenue equal deficit.  jmo 

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

No kidding 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Just now, ALF said:

Nursing is a high skill professional job not fast food or retail. Less good paying  jobs equal less tax revenue equal deficit.  jmo 

The export/import industries have a lot of high paying jobs. And all the jobs that support those imports and exports. The manufacturing jobs that existed in the past are not coming back. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The export/import industries have a lot of high paying jobs. And all the jobs that support those imports and exports. The manufacturing jobs that existed in the past are not coming back. 

So cut Social Security , Medicare , Medicaid and social services to balance the budget ?

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

So cut Social Security , Medicare , Medicaid and social services to balance the budget ?

No!! Taxes on the wealthy will have to go back up. Raising tariffs will hurt the deficit when it hurts growth and eliminates jobs. A trade war will probably cause a recession. Read up about the Smoot Hawley Tariff as an example. 

Just now, Tiberius said:

No!! Taxes on the wealthy will have to go back up. Raising tariffs will hurt the deficit when it hurts growth and eliminates jobs. A trade war will probably cause a recession. Read up about the Smoot Hawley Tariff as an example. 

The threat of tariffs are just to get other countries to negotiate fair trade deals. With the massive trade deficit the U.S. has had for many years is that fair trade ? 

38 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ha! I actually know this. If we inflate our currency too much it will make the trade deficit grow much more as other countries will be able to sell even cheaper here and make our exports more expensive

Other way around, chief.

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

The threat of tariffs are just to get other countries to negotiate fair trade deals. With the massive trade deficit the U.S. has had for many years is that fair trade ? 

Because people want to sell us stuff, and we want to buy it, doesn't mean it is unfair trade. American consumers do get cheaper goods, more choices and can export more things with free trade. We are the richest country in the world, so ya, we will buy lots of stuff. Can the deals be better? Maybe, but I don't trust Trump to negotiate that deal at all. IMO, the trade deals are not the problems in this growing economy. Things are really going good, deficits aside 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Friggin' commie.

OK  how would you balance the budget and start to pay down the national debt , honest question , seriously.