Who fills these open QB spots

Romo is not going to be a Bill. Jerruh likes him too much to deal him somewhere he doesn't want to go and there's no reason for him to want to come here. The only places I see as realistic possibilities for him is someone who could win the SB (like Denver) or a major market (NY or LA or potentially Chicago given his roots to the area) to allow him to begin to transition to a potential media career.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. If there really are that many teams looking for a QB, it will become a bidding war for Taylor. That's why he's never going to renegotiate with the Bills. No reason to. Also why the injury option thing is complete media-generated BS. The Bills would be doing him a favor not picking up his option.

There has to be at least two teams that can benefit from obtaining the 30th ranked passing offense.

Whose 31st and 32nd. Come get this "big money" upgrade.

49ers Taylor

Bears Watson

Bills Trubisky

Cleveland Mahomes

Jets Stay put w petty/hack pu pu pkatter

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Jimmy G in Houston is interesting to me. They are stuck without Brock's contract for another year but if they can bring in Garoppolo for their 1st for example it makes sense. They can pay him next year (when I think that he becomes a FA). That didn't cross my mind but is an interesting thought.

In addition to that, there's Bill O'Brien's New England connection.

It just makes sense.

My dream draft is exactly this. A decent opportunity for a trade up to the mid first and an extra 2nd. If Davis or Williams surprisingly are there, grab them for the QB to throw to. They have Watkins & one of them as 1st & 2nd WRs, they have McCoy & Clay(who can catch) plus Hunter and the others. If one of the top 5 is in the 2nd, you grab Kizer, Mahomes or Kaaya. You use the other pick for the BPA for the Safety position. If one of the 2 WRs isn't there, you grab your highest rated QB in the first with your traded pick and grab the best WR in the 2nd (maybe Kupp, good hands, height, decent slot routes). Use TT's money for resigning Gilmore. Get a FA RT and you have a line to protect your QB properly and the top talent to move the ball. You get a vet bridge QB by trade or FA and let them compete with the new rookie and Cardale to start. Or let the vet start and work one of Cardale or the rookie into the game over the season if neither is deemed ready by the coaching staff at season start.

Use the rest of the picks to fill the D needs, and even pick up Kelly with a late rounder for a gamble, if he is still there. You have a team ready to challenge for a playoff round. If you strike out,and have a bad year you have the OL and offensive talent structure built and are ready to grab a QB high in 2018.

I guess the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. I'll buy into your scenario but I think that the best & most sought after "vet" QB will turn out to be Tyrod. The kid is a good QB. Not Hall of Fame; not great; but pretty damn good.

I agree that we should draft a QB in the 2nd round unless our #1 prospect is sitting there at #10.

BTW, I always like trading down unless Mr Wonderful is available when we are picking.

In addition to that, there's Bill O'Brien's New England connection.

It just makes sense.

Also, they liked him quite a bit back in the 2014 draft--apparently there was some infighting between O'Brien and Smith. Smith won, and the Texans took Xavier Sua'Filo No. 33 overall.

And O'Brien's old boss got Jimmy G.

I guess the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. I'll buy into your scenario but I think that the best & most sought after "vet" QB will turn out to be Tyrod. The kid is a good QB. Not Hall of Fame; not great; but pretty damn good.

I agree that we should draft a QB in the 2nd round unless our #1 prospect is sitting there at #10.

BTW, I always like trading down unless Mr Wonderful is available when we are picking.

I don't disagree that TT is an average, mediocre QB. The issue is the huge cap hit the front office built into his contract. Not TT's fault the front office created the contract. (especially since they didn't even need to do it last year.) But it is just that if it is between being able to rebuild the team and resign Gilmore, or keeping TT another year, I would choose keeping Gilmore. TT is a bridge QB at absolute best. He is not the future. Gilmore could be an important piece for another 5 years. TT will not be an important piece beyond this year. Another cheaper, average bridge QB allows the team to build for the future this year and see if they can develop either the rookie or Cardale into a decent QB. Even if the other vet is slightly less than TT, it won't matter. I would rather build the team this year and have a 6-9, 7-9 record than have an 8-8 or 9-7 record, still miss the playoffs, and have to start the building the team next year, taking yet another year to get a playoff spot.

For the sake of argument if the Bills have a conviction on either Kizer or Mahomes as a prospect then maybe the best approach is to move down in the first round and select one of them and have an additional pick or two to work with. With or without TT this might be a good approach to take. This approach could have been taken with respect to Carr or Bridgewater.

What the Houston/New England game demonstrated in spades is that unless you have a quality qb your ambitions will be snuffed out by the dispiriting bad play of an incapable qb. Houston's good defense was squandered in a game that could have been won if the qb play reached the level of being adequate.

Don't confuse posters with an intelligent post that makes sense !!

I wonder if the bad teams in need of a starting QB will all balk at taking a QB in the first round this year because the 2018 draft class will have Sam Darnold in it and this years class seems like a dud. If you're going to be bad, what's the point of picking a QB this year which looks like a poor QB draft class? Why not throw your hat into the ring for that #1 pick in 2018? Is there a chance that either no QB or just one QB gets picked in the first round this year?

Totally off topic, but I wonder what would the Colts price be for Luck? If you gave them enough draft picks, they could potentially be picking Darnold (after tanking the season) and build that team from scratch with a boat load of high picks in the coming years. It's clearly going to take too much time for them to build that roster enough for Luck to be of any use for them. That franchise seems stuck and I wonder if you knocked them out with draft picks you could make a blockbuster deal. I know it's far fetched. LOL

My dream draft is exactly this. A decent opportunity for a trade up to the mid first and an extra 2nd. If Davis or Williams surprisingly are there, grab them for the QB to throw to. They have Watkins & one of them as 1st & 2nd WRs, they have McCoy & Clay(who can catch) plus Hunter and the others. If one of the top 5 is in the 2nd, you grab Kizer, Mahomes or Kaaya. You use the other pick for the BPA for the Safety position. If one of the 2 WRs isn't there, you grab your highest rated QB in the first with your traded pick and grab the best WR in the 2nd (maybe Kupp, good hands, height, decent slot routes). Use TT's money for resigning Gilmore. Get a FA RT and you have a line to protect your QB properly and the top talent to move the ball. You get a vet bridge QB by trade or FA and let them compete with the new rookie and Cardale to start. Or let the vet start and work one of Cardale or the rookie into the game over the season if neither is deemed ready by the coaching staff at season start.

Use the rest of the picks to fill the D needs, and even pick up Kelly with a late rounder for a gamble, if he is still there. You have a team ready to challenge for a playoff round. If you strike out,and have a bad year you have the OL and offensive talent structure built and are ready to grab a QB high in 2018.

Your large number of options has my head spinning. If you don't keep it simple I become perplexed.

With respect to the highlighted area how would a FART protect our qb? Stinking the opposition into submission? :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice topic

I'll go...

Cleveland: DeShone Kizer

SF: Jimmy Garoppolo

Jets: DeShawn Watson

Bears: Mitch Trubisky

Bills: Tyrod Taylor

Broncos: Trevor Siemien

Texans: Tony Romo

Yes, it seems I need to re-visit...

Cleveland: Jimmy Garoppolo

SF: Mitch Trubisky

Jets: Tony Romo

Bears: DeShone Kizer

Bills: Tyrod Taylor

Broncos: Trevor Siemien

Texans: DeShaun Watson

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Jets - Mitch T (1st round)

Bears - Romo (trade)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Trubisky (1st round)

Jets - Watson (1st round)

Bears - Kizer (2nd round)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

I guess that I am starting to think Romo staying in Dallas is a realistic option. The teams where he makes the most sense are a little cash strapped. Mitch T to SF makes a lot of sense now.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I have argued that the Bills "dysfunction" rap is wrong, that what we're seeing is the end of that era. But if the Bills drop TT, bring in Romo or Cutler, or use the #10 pick on a QB,I will have to admit the nay sayers were correct and I was totally wrong. I might even elevate the org to the fabled level of "dumpster fire."