Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

Sorry, I thought you saw this. Here's what I posted earlier in the thread to you.

"Detroit clearly looked like the worst team in the NFL to begin last season, ranking 29th in points and 32nd in turnovers after seven games. They fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and promoted Cooter, winning six of their last eight games with an improved and balanced offensive attack."

An improved and balanced offensive attack that went from a lowly average of 346.6 yards per game to a whopping 346.8 yards per game.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does that even mean? What would be a coaching staff that is "QB-centric"?

Dallas Cowboys: Jason Garrett HC, Scott Linehan OC, Wade Wilson QB Coach. Not only were all 3 NFL QBs, but they were also Dallas Cowboys QBs. They have developed and implemented a system over the years that allowed a 4th round rookie QB to step in and go 14-2. That is a support structure from the top down of everyone understanding what has to happen for the QB to succeed.

Philadelphia Eagles: Doug Pederson HC, Frank Reich OC, John DiFilippo QB Coach. Pederson and Reich were NFL QBs, Pederson was even the Eagle QB that was brought in to provide vet leadership and help with developing McNabb. While DiFilippo was never an NFL QB, he played the position through college, and has ONLY been a QB coach/OC through his entire coaching career. This allowed them to start Carson Wentz his rookie year with pretty decent success (for a rookie).

As opposed to:

The Bills with Rex, and RB-focused OCs. Or the Rams with Fisher, which were more D-based, and instead of developing Goff watched him regress. And now we basically have a combination of those two staffs. Good luck to ANY qb we bring in.

Wayne, did that answer your question?

@jeffismagic -- care to respond? You really do seem to be ignoring GunnerBill's post while you focus on a Cooter lovefest and ripping McD's decisions to date.

The smart thing for McD to do is bring in veteran coordinators who are capable of implementing McD's philosophies. Frazier fits that mold to a T.

I like that he's a former HC. That can help a first-timer like McD.

Yes, we're transitioning away from Rex, and adding from the Rams (Waufle, Boras). I'm not saying EVERY hire, but enough to cause me some concern.

You realize that the strength of the Rams was their DL and Boras has worked with a lot of good TEs, right?

You realize that the strength of the Rams was their DL and Boras has worked with a lot of good TEs, right?

I do, I talked myself into that silver lining already. And you know Im usually on the positive side. It just feels like we've already been down this road before.

Wayne, did that answer your question?

Yes, thanks brother. But I'm skeptical of this line of thinking. I lean toward the side of "Good quarterbacks make coaches look good" as opposed to "Good coaches make quarterbacks look good."

If the team was going with a "QB-centric" staff then who would have been your choice?

Yes, thanks brother. But I'm skeptical of this line of thinking. I lean toward the side of "Good quarterbacks make coaches look good" as opposed to "Good coaches make quarterbacks look good."

If the team was going with a "QB-centric" staff then who would have been your choice?

It's both combined. Good coaches with good QBs make each other look GREAT. It's Brady AND Belichick. It's Payton AND Brees.

But you need good coaches to develop rookie QBs into good QBs.

And since we were rebuilding our staff, I was hoping we'd start at the beginning and bring in a good QB coach, then go out and get him a good/rookie QB to work with. Staff up some QB gurus and let them work with Tyrod, Rookie, and Jones.

My uneducated-fan choices would have been along the lines of Haley, McDaniels, etc. But I would trust the Coach Recruiting Teams to figure out the proper QB/Offensive-based candidates. Reich is probably too green to make a HC this year, but he might be ready in 3 years after we fire McDermott! hahaha

So anyway, about the actual topic: it looks like the interview is today. It is my sincere hope we don't hire this guy. If we do itll kill most of the good will I have left for this team.

Most people seem to be ok if he is QB coach and not calling the plays. Let's see how much that changes if they do hire him to be OC. I as well will be disappointed with this guy.

@jeffismagic -- care to respond? You really do seem to be ignoring GunnerBill's post while you focus on a Cooter lovefest and ripping McD's decisions to date.

The smart thing for McD to do is bring in veteran coordinators who are capable of implementing McD's philosophies. Frazier fits that mold to a T.

How do we know that Frazier will run McDermott's scheme? Maybe Mcdermott will trust Frazier to install his defense. Rivera was a defensive coach and he let Mcdermott run his defense. Lots of unknowns and McDermott said he didn't know if he would call plays. So the guy has been working towards this job all his life and hasn't even decided how this will go.

Edited by jeffismagic

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT JIM BOB COOTER

Because we're desperate for an OC.

How do we know that Frazier will run McDermott's scheme? Maybe Mcdermott will trust Frazier to install his defense. Rivera was a defensive coach and he let Mcdermott run his defense. Lots of unknowns and McDermott said he didn't know if he would call plays. So the guy has been working towards this job all his life and hasn't even decided how this will go.

Because both have run the same scheme historically. Unless Frazier is going to come in and decide now, at this point of this career, that he is going to change his spots, it will be the same scheme.

I do, I talked myself into that silver lining already. And you know Im usually on the positive side. It just feels like we've already been down this road before.

Don't focus on the overall team's performance. Focus on the performance of the coaches' units.

What scheme did Rivera run and how was it different from McD's?

It's both combined. Good coaches with good QBs make each other look GREAT. It's Brady AND Belichick. It's Payton AND Brees.

But you need good coaches to develop rookie QBs into good QBs.

And since we were rebuilding our staff, I was hoping we'd start at the beginning and bring in a good QB coach, then go out and get him a good/rookie QB to work with. Staff up some QB gurus and let them work with Tyrod, Rookie, and Jones.

My uneducated-fan choices would have been along the lines of Haley, McDaniels, etc. But I would trust the Coach Recruiting Teams to figure out the proper QB/Offensive-based candidates. Reich is probably too green to make a HC this year, but he might be ready in 3 years after we fire McDermott! hahaha

I can buy that but I just don't think there were good enough candidates out there this year that meet your criteria. Haley proved in KC that he's not cut out to be a head coach. McDaniels is not an option for Buffalo.

I think if AVP is hired he is bright and experienced enough to be able to mold a talented young QB. In addition, if they can land an experienced QB coach like a Greg Knapp or Greg Olson then I would be very encouraged.

Acquire a QB prospect who can be developed into a good to excellent starter and watch how smart/innovative the OC that they hire becomes.

Do you honestly expect the current GM to find a "QB prospect" after how he's approached the position since 2013?

Yeah, anyone can say get the QB and things fall into place because it's the easiest argument to make.

Yet, is Olsen the guy you want developing a young QB? To me he seems to wear out his welcome relatively quick. Buffalo is his 6th team (counting JAC twice for both stops) in 10 years. That the guy McDermott thinks is somehow suitable?

I can buy that but I just don't think there were good enough candidates out there this year that meet your criteria. Haley proved in KC that he's not cut out to be a head coach. McDaniels is not an option for Buffalo.

I think if AVP is hired he is bright and experienced enough to be able to mold a talented young QB. In addition, if they can land an experienced QB coach like a Greg Knapp or Greg Olson then I would be very encouraged.

Agreed that McDaniels isnt a real option for Buffalo given the NE connection. But disagree that Haley can never become a good HC just because of 1 prior job. Plenty of coaches turn it around their second time around. But again, just using him as an example, not tying my cart to him.

I mean, for as much as I do like Whaley, the talk about the 49ers bringing in Mike Shanahan as GM and Kyle as HC has me jealous.