Big names didn't get jobs.

Virgil

Late hires get scraps as assts

Weird none of the old coaches row names came up this year. Nobody is trying to lure Jon Gruden back? Bill Cowhers jaw didn't get an interview. Tony Dungy is comfy in his studio chair.

The more years that pass the less likely it seems that any of them or others will come back. Any guesses on who will come back if anyone?

Cowher has been very open in his comments about balance in life. It seems to me that a HC job is a meat grinder. Great pay but you are owned by your job if that is what you do for a living.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so, but still surprising that all of these other teams took lesser known names with worse resumes. Unless these guys didn't want them.

I also wonder what the current state of these organizations had on these guys. The Bills, Rams, Chargers, and 49ers don't have the greatest image right now.

Again, just thoughts.

Stop...please stop....the state of the organization.....everyone looking for a coach is doing so because they need to be fixed.....Buffalo is at the top of desireable places because it has one of the few owners who can put huge bonus cash in escrow, spend to the cap, and spend on coaching and scouting...

I will see our blanket statement and raise you!

Of course they can. If someone's contract is up they can go anywhere and someone could have a buy out clause.

So they can right? That's what I thought. Bye bye

Contracts end at the end of a season. If someone is not hired until February then by that point every other team will have its assistants under contract for the rest of that year.

You were trying to argue that a team hiring a new HC in February could just go to his previous team and lift his staff from his side of the ball. That is patently untrue.

Anyone else find it weird that Kyle Shanahan, Mike Smith, and both Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels didn't get jobs?

They seemed to be the most qualified and accomplished. Seems weird to me.

Also strange that Todd Haley didn't even take an interview.

Weird

Not to mention that Wade Phillips got no interest as a HC and neither did Jim Schwartz.

Also, I don't get the hiring of defensive coordinators who had a bad year and I'm still quite puzzled over the Vance Joesph hire to Denver. Are the Broncos ready to tank this year to get the #1 pick because I just don't get losing Philips who built a great 3-4 to a HC who runs a 4-3. Mike McCoy will certainly help with their offense and unless Elway pulls a miracle out of his backside the defense looks to take a big hit.

Not to mention that Wade Phillips got no interest as a HC and neither did Jim Schwartz.

Also, I don't get the hiring of defensive coordinators who had a bad year and I'm still quite puzzled over the Vance Joesph hire to Denver. Are the Broncos ready to tank this year to get the #1 pick because I just don't get losing Philips who built a great 3-4 to a HC who runs a 4-3. Mike McCoy will certainly help with their offense and unless Elway pulls a miracle out of his backside the defense looks to take a big hit.

Because they were not hiring him based on how his defense played. They interviewed him two years ago when he was still just a position coach and identified him as a potentially good leader of a franchise. They were always hiring Kubiak that time if he wanted the job but they clearly felt Joseph was an excellent candidate and runner up. They hired him because they like him as a leader. What his defense did or didn't do in Miami makes no odds.

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

Yeah, Vermeil only won a super bowl with the Rams and they coined "the greatest show on turf" from that offense. Then he went to KC and in five years had a 13-3, 10-6 season

Stop...please stop....the state of the organization.....everyone looking for a coach is doing so because they need to be fixed.....Buffalo is at the top of desireable places because it has one of the few owners who can put huge bonus cash in escrow, spend to the cap, and spend on coaching and scouting...

We've had how many head coaches the past 10 years? How was our last head coach actually fired?

Where will the Chargers and Rams be playing and their overall status these next few years?

The 49ers will be on their 4th head coach in 4 years.

Those are not the sign of job stability many would look for.

Well it could be true but ONLY for the coaches on that staff who have contracts expiring that year. But that's a big if. And what I don't know is if teams going to the Super bowl after the conference championship week games, (this year starting Jan 23rd) will go to any of their coaches that they want to retain and offer and hopefully get signed extensions done before the Super Bowl, so then no one is ever made available as all under contract.

But completely agree with your point in that billsfan75 was implying that you can basically just get all the coaches from your old staff to come over to new team regardless of contract status.

Years back recall most assistant contracts are only for two years, not sure if that's still true, if so, then 50% would have expiring contracts every year.

Contracts end at the end of a season. If someone is not hired until February then by that point every other team will have its assistants under contract for the rest of that year.

You were trying to argue that a team hiring a new HC in February could just go to his previous team and lift his staff from his side of the ball. That is patently untrue.

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

Umm... Super bowl champs!? Maybe we should pursue him. 😀

Because they were not hiring him based on how his defense played. They interviewed him two years ago when he was still just a position coach and identified him as a potentially good leader of a franchise. They were always hiring Kubiak that time if he wanted the job but they clearly felt Joseph was an excellent candidate and runner up. They hired him because they like him as a leader. What his defense did or didn't do in Miami makes no odds.

Still, he might have given a great interview while being a terrific leader of men. The man was the DB coach in Cincy, Houston and San Fran previous to his one bad season as DC for the Dolphins. To me, it's all about coaching and how that translates to the field. Miami was 18th in points allowed and 29th in yards allowed. While that Miami defense did lead the NFL in defensive hurries they were also 21st in sacks.

On another note, this type of hire is exactly what the Steelers did when they hired Mike Tomlin. The difference being that the Steelers already had Big Ben at QB and Dick LeBeau at DC and Tomlin was smart enough to keep that DC and defensive scheme intact. The Broncos don't have an established franchise QB and now their top in the league DC is now coaching the Rams defense.

Makes no sense to me.

I would much rather hire a Kyle Shanahan who took a bunch of top players and turned them into an elite unit. That Falcon offense is amazing and the play calls in feeding the playmakers kind of reminds me of what Ted Marchibroda did with the Bills in Buffalo.

Edited by Nihilarian

Still, he might have given a great interview while being a terrific leader of men. The man was the DB coach in Cincy, Houston and San Fran previous to his one bad season as DC for the Dolphins. To me, it's all about coaching and how that translates to the field. Miami was 18th in points allowed and 29th in yards allowed. While that Miami defense did lead the NFL in defensive hurries they were also 21st in sacks.

I would much rather hire a Kyle Shanahan who took a bunch of top players and turned them into an elite unit. That Falcon offense is amazing and the play calls in feeding the playmakers kind of reminds me of what Ted Marchibroda did with the Bills in Buffalo.

And that is exactly what I'm saying. What you - a fan - looks for, is different to what teams are looking for.

And that is exactly what I'm saying. What you - a fan - looks for, is different to what teams are looking for.

John Elway might be the man to know who to hire, no question. I Just have my doubts about the amount of success that he can achieve given the QB situation, defensive situation.

While Mike McCoy might be a real key in the hire because he has shown he can do wonders with most any QB and should the HC falter, his replacement is already on the team.

Anyone else find it weird that Kyle Shanahan, Mike Smith, and both Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels didn't get jobs?

Weird

I've actually read Mike Smith's book. He got the Falcons to the playoffs 4 of 7 years and won nearly 60% of his games there. And he seems to understand what he did wrong toward the end and why he didn't win more.

And, yeah, it is weird that some of these guys didn't receive a lot of attention.

Vance Joseph and our own A Lynn were both coordinators for just a year (or less). Both were supposedly Rooney Rule guys. Both got HC gigs. Bigger names barely got sniffs.

Wade is a weird one.

He went 29-19 with the Bills and 34-22 with the Cowboys.

And he still knows how to coach defense.

Why roll the dice on a coordinator with very little experience like the Chargers and Broncos did when here's a guy you pretty much know will make your team competitive?

Edited by hondo in seattle

I've actually read Mike Smith's book. He got the Falcons to the playoffs 4 of 7 years and won nearly 60% of his games there. And he seems to understand what he did wrong toward the end and why he didn't win more.

And, yeah, it is weird that some of these guys didn't receive a lot of attention.

Vance Joseph and our own A Lynn were both coordinators for just a year (or less). Both were supposedly Rooney Rule guys. Both got HC gigs. Bigger names barely got sniffs.

Hiring Lynn makes more sense to me than the hiring of Joesph...but what do I know. What we fans don't know is what is said in the interview process.

I seem to recall that Marv Levy stated that Mike Sherman knocked his socks off with his interview and then went on to hire Dick Jauron. :wacko:

Only one job opening left in San Fran and Josh McDanials, Kyle Shanahan, Matt Patricia, Tom Cable and Kris Richards still out there. It is weird that Mike Smith, Jim Schwartz didn't even get a sniff.

I think the Jags opted for stability knowing Marrone had been a HC before. I'm sure he sold a lot of BS about being the guy to turn Bortles around and the defense being on the cusp (which looks true). It also doesn't hurt that Coughlin is now the president, in a potential position to step in as HC should a change be needed and he'll be well schooled on the franchise.

Gruden / Cowher / Dungy are never coming back. Once you leave the grind and you are still clearing 7 figures working what essentially amounts to a part time job you don't want to come back to the grind. They've all won SBs, there's not much more for them to prove.

Saban isn't coming back either, he's got Bama on cruise control and can potentially be viewed as the greatest college coach of all time. Harbaugh is the one big name I think could come back to the NFL, but only in the right situation (given his history with the franchise and with Luck, the Colts job may be "the right situation").

I think Patricia and McDaniels are both also waiting for situations they can succeed in, aka have a QB.

I do think the Bills / Chargers / Rams / Broncos all took the view of choosing the unknown over the known, hoping to strike gold with their picks.

Maybe so, but still surprising that all of these other teams took lesser known names with worse resumes. Unless these guys didn't want them.

I also wonder what the current state of these organizations had on these guys. The Bills, Rams, Chargers, and 49ers don't have the greatest image right now.

Again, just thoughts.

What's wrong with the Chargers and Rams as an organization, aside from the moving vans? Or the Jags?

Shanahan interviewed for the Denver, LA Rams (scheduled-not sure it took place) Jags and 49ers jobs. The Bills interviewed him 2 years ago IIRC. So it's interesting that Denver, the Rams, and Jags all preferred someone else.

McDaniels interviewed for the Jags, 49ers and Rams. Again, interesting the Jags and Rams preferred someone else.

If Shanahan and McDaniels didn't want any of those jobs, all they had to do was decline the interview. A HC interview sounds like a lot of work. Why do it during playoff season if you wouldn't take the job anyway? It's not as though either of them need the interview practice.

It may be an issue of timing - teams not wanting to wait until the playoffs are done for those teams to make their hires. Or it may be these guys just didn't present what was wanted.

Weird

Actually this part is not strange at all. The Pittsburgh Steelers do not allow their coaches to interview while their season is still ongoing. So if you want to interview a Steelers assistant coach, you gotta wait til they're out.