Big names didn't get jobs.

Virgil

I've actually read Mike Smith's book. He got the Falcons to the playoffs 4 of 7 years and won nearly 60% of his games there. And he seems to understand what he did wrong toward the end and why he didn't win more.

And, yeah, it is weird that some of these guys didn't receive a lot of attention.

Vance Joseph and our own A Lynn were both coordinators for just a year (or less). Both were supposedly Rooney Rule guys. Both got HC gigs. Bigger names barely got sniffs.

Wade is a weird one.

He went 29-19 with the Bills and 34-22 with the Cowboys.

And he still knows how to coach defense.

Why roll the dice on a coordinator with very little experience like the Chargers and Broncos did when here's a guy you pretty much know will make your team competitive?

agree. Wade deserves another chance!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

Joe Gibbs did as well (1981–1992 then 2004–2007) and was not successful 2nd time either.

Anyone else find it weird that Kyle Shanahan, Mike Smith, and both Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels didn't get jobs?

They seemed to be the most qualified and accomplished. Seems weird to me.

Also strange that Todd Haley didn't even take an interview.

Weird

No not at all surprised.

I think the NFL should have moratorium on coaching hires between week 17 and Superbowl which would give coaches in playoff better chance of getting a job.

But.. But.. WE are the experts! We spend many waking hours every day dissecting and discerning the nuances of our teams! Why don't we ever get to decide?? :wallbash:

You do in Madden GM and the NFL and Madden will thank you for your money.

@andrewperloff

Marvin Lewis (Vance Joseph) and Andy Reid (Sean McDermott) large coaching trees grow. Belichick's, so far, has not. Any thoughts?

@ChrisTrapasso

Chris Trapasso Retweeted Andrew Perloff

Belichick's (New England) assistant coach history... not so good. Simple but I think that's the reason.

Without the spy Belichick has they just are not very successful especially if they go to organizations which do not take a blind eye to cheating.

They can't just "bring their staff from their side of the ball." Because their current employer is under no obligation to allow those staff to move on. As has been discussed at length... the only interview an NFL team can't block is a Head Coach interview. It is why Superbowl bound coordinators often don't get jobs that same year.... because you are left scrabbling around for a staff.

Forced coaching changes especially whole staffs would do a lot for parity though

@RapSheet

#PatriotsNFL_Season_2016_NE.png OC Josh McDaniels is stepping back from the coaching search to focus on playoffs. Means it’s Tom Cable or Kyle Shanahan for #49ers

One of these names is not like the other. Cable, McDaniels, Shanahan.

Yeah, looks like Kyle Shanahan. He is brilliant but hasn't got a job yet because of his personality. He rubs people the wrong way.

I think GunnerBill has it exactly right. Fans and media hold on to the antiquated belief that if a coordinator has a great year, he's automatically a great head coach candidate. This isn't necessarily true. Some great coordinators are just that...great coordinators. Like Wade Phillips.

As I stated before, Mike McCarthy's offense was rated last in the league before getting the head job in Green Bay. Smart GMs know that there is more to being a head coach than success as an OC or DC.

In the 8 seasons Wade coached the team for a full season (rather than being brought on as an interim coach), he made the playoffs five times. He was absolutely robbed by the refs on the home run forward lateral play too.

@RapSheet

#PatriotsNFL_Season_2016_NE.png OC Josh McDaniels is stepping back from the coaching search to focus on playoffs. Means its Tom Cable or Kyle Shanahan for #49ers

Saw a bleacher report saying he declined the SF job. He has more than once said he will not leave unless it is the perfect job in his mind. He is rather happy up here (what OC wouldnt be)

One of these names is not like the other. Cable, McDaniels, Shanahan.

Yeah, looks like Kyle Shanahan. He is brilliant but hasn't got a job yet because of his personality. He rubs people the wrong way.

Speaking of rubbing people the wrong way. Didn't cable punch a staffer so hard once that he broke his jaw? He's not exactly known for his Zen-like demeanor.

@MikeReiss

Josh McDaniels on removing name from consideration for 49ers job: "I was really impressed with Jed York and Paraag [Marathe], and Brian, and people that came for the 49ers organization. They did a great job with their presentation. Again, humbled to be included in that process. At this time, it's just best for my family and myself to remain here in New England, and focus on this year's playoffs and finish out the year however it turns out."

Speaking of rubbing people the wrong way. Didn't cable punch a staffer so hard once that he broke his jaw? He's not exactly known for his Zen-like demeanor.

Yeah,but that's different than what I mean. Bills interviewed him and he wasn't a consideration this time despite having the best resume.

@MikeReiss

Josh McDaniels on removing name from consideration for 49ers job: "I was really impressed with Jed York and Paraag [Marathe], and Brian, and people that came for the 49ers organization. They did a great job with their presentation. Again, humbled to be included in that process. At this time, it's just best for my family and myself to remain here in New England, and focus on this year's playoffs and finish out the year however it turns out."

Translation "ya your a dumpster fire and have changed coaches like underwear and I have a good thing here so Thanks but no thanks!" That's taking out all the nice PC stuff loo

That is the hard part when you take some time off...It is hard to come back into the NFL. The only one who made comebacks after a long time was Dick Vermeil and he was not very successful.

Didn't he win a Super Bowl with the Rams after a long time off?

Cowher has been very open in his comments about balance in life. It seems to me that a HC job is a meat grinder. Great pay but you are owned by your job if that is what you do for a living.

It didn't stop Rex from enjoying his personal life!

@MikeReiss

I think it has more to do with the current QB situation in SF with Kaepernick and Blane Gabbert, and the 3rd is Ponder. Not to mention that the entire team looks like it needs a rebuild from the bottom up as they went 32nd in defense and 31st in offense. They have no receiving corps, no RB, no DE's. The once vaunted best O-line in the NFL is a shell of itself and the defense which was a top 5 defense for three years 2011-2012-2013 is now worse than a shell.

That team is a tire fire right now and that is being kind! Plus, the Patriots GM probably said no too. The owner should have crucified the GM rather than fire him.