Only Gilmore makes this list of top 25 UFAs

MAJBobby

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773220/article/leveon-bell-eric-berry-head-top-25-free-agents?campaign=tw-nf-sf50619973-sf50619973&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

13) Stephon Gilmore, Buffalo Bills cornerback: He has weeks, even months, on film where he looks like a true No. 1 cornerback. He had other weeks in 2016 where he looked lost, perhaps fearful of getting hurt in a contract year. If he makes it to the open market, some team will believe it can make him a star because of his skill set, although I suspect the Bills will use the franchise tag on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773220/article/leveon-bell-eric-berry-head-top-25-free-agents?campaign=tw-nf-sf50619973-sf50619973&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

13) Stephon Gilmore, Buffalo Bills cornerback: He has weeks, even months, on film where he looks like a true No. 1 cornerback. He had other weeks in 2016 where he looked lost, perhaps fearful of getting hurt in a contract year. If he makes it to the open market, some team will believe it can make him a star because of his skill set, although I suspect the Bills will use the franchise tag on him.

Yeah - Bell and Cousins are prime tag candidates. Zach brown didn't even make honorable mention :oops:

Kelso said McDermott's defense requires DB's that offer run support.

Is Gilmore worth keeping knowing this? I agree with Maj, Gilmore looks like a top 15 DB most of the time. But we have all seen him shy away from contact more so this year than in the past. Contract year or true liability?

He is a very tough call for the Bills because his play has ranged from outstanding to fair. He looked to play unmotivated this year which is very concerning. He could easily join a loing and growing list of guys who hit a big payday in FA and then never play up to their potential again. I really think the Bills let him walk.

After watching this weekend's games, there's no question why Gilmore is going to get PAID.

CB play around the league is generally awful; 8 teams played his weekend, and 0.0 of them could cover a WR.

Gilmore can--and thus he will be handsomely rewarded in UFA.

After watching this weekend's games, there's no question why Gilmore is going to get PAID.

CB play around the league is generally awful; 8 teams played his weekend, and 0.0 of them could cover a WR.

Agree, rule changes have made CB the second most difficult position.

Hmmm, well if 8 teams played this weekend and none of them had a CB that could cover a WR, then decision should be very easy. Bye Gilmore..... Obviously his presence on the Bills isn't getting them to the playoffs and doesn't seem to matter much for the teams that are in.

Hmmm, well if 8 teams played this weekend and none of them had a CB that could cover a WR, then decision should be very easy. Bye Gilmore..... Obviously his presence on the Bills isn't getting them to the playoffs and doesn't seem to matter much for the teams that are in.

I would say pass rush tends to matter more when you face the top 5-6 QB's in the league. That said, pass rush can be much more flexible with good coverage.

I would say pass rush tends to matter more when you face the top 5-6 QB's in the league. That said, pass rush can be much more flexible with good coverage.

Pass rush definitely matters more, especially now when you can't breathe on a WR without getting a flag. I did think the Officials generally " let them play " out there this weekend . Lots of grabbing and holding went uncalled in the secondary. Then you had the one exception: the Pats * game. Bogus PI call and a huge push off by Edelman went uncalled . HOU defense acquitted itself pretty well until it became obvious that Osweiler was just horrible .

For those with short memories:

Denver won the Super Bowl last year with the best secondary in the NFL.

NE won the previous year with Revis/Browner starting and Malcolm Butler.

Seattle won the year before that with the best secondary in the NFL.

This year is the aberration, not the norm.

Pass rush definitely matters more, especially now when you can't breathe on a WR without getting a flag. I did think the Officials generally " let them play " out there this weekend . Lots of grabbing and holding went uncalled in the secondary. Then you had the one exception: the Pats * game. Bogus PI call and a huge push off by Edelman went uncalled . HOU defense acquitted itself pretty well until it became obvious that Osweiler was just horrible .

Which is why Buffalo made the playoffs when they amassed over 100 sacks in a two-season span, right?

Wait...

Kelso said McDermott's defense requires DB's that offer run support.

Is Gilmore worth keeping knowing this? I agree with Maj, Gilmore looks like a top 15 DB most of the time. But we have all seen him shy away from contact more so this year than in the past. Contract year or true liability?

this is just the beginning of the new coaches/new schemes = roster misfit = cut-every-FA-who-doesn't-fit season. 3 more years of suck. and around the wheel we go again