Potential Bidding War over McCoy?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it would make a difference because OC's have absolutely no say over drafting personnel

That really depends on the organisation. Some organisations (and I believe the Bills have in the last few years been one) are very collabrative. I think when those organisations choose Quarterbacks they absolutely seek their OCs opinion.

Doesn't mean they draft their OCs preference all the time but especially in Buffalo if you think, for example, Marrone and Hackett were not consulted before the EJ draft then I say you are probably wrong. Doesn't mean they said "Draft EJ" but I do believe their opinion on the QBs will have been sought. Otherwise why have them at the pro days and visits?

I'm wondering if the Castillo hire means McDerm thinks he's getting McCoy. How can he hire a run game coordinator without a run game in place to coordinate? Castillo helping to install the ground game with McCoy calling plays and working with the QBs could be a good setup. Why aren't the Bills setting up other interviews but the Broncos did? Wishful thinking probably.

I like the McCoy bent, but Musgrave should not be overlooked. Man led an prodigious Offense and had it not been for an injury to Carr, who knows if Oakland would still be playing. Musgrave also has to his benefit, as mentioned above, worked with and developed a young QB and was the Vikes OC the year Peterson ran for 2,000 yards. Interesting and certainly a well qualified candidate.

I was thinking the same thing. Oak goes 12-4 with a young QB who seems like he's steadily improving from one year to the next. #7 offense on points, strong run game, strong pass game - overall balance.

So why did they let him go?

why did musgrave get canned in oak?

He didn't get canned exactly, they didn't renew his contract, which may be a clue. Maybe he pointed to all of the above and asked for more $$ than they were willing to give on his new contract?

I would think he would be well worth talking to. Denver is talking to both McCoy and Musgrave, they can't keep both.

I was thinking the same thing. Oak goes 12-4 with a young QB who seems like he's steadily improving from one year to the next. #7 offense on points, strong run game, strong pass game - overall balance.

He didn't get canned exactly, they didn't renew his contract, which may be a clue. Maybe he pointed to all of the above and asked for more $$ than they were willing to give on his new contract?

I would think he would be well worth talking to. Denver is talking to both McCoy and Musgrave, they can't keep both.

Is McCoy a done deal in Denver or not? I keep hearing both.

I think Oakland was worried one of the new HCs would poach Todd Downing (now their OC) and decided to let Musgrave walk rather than lose their young OC in waiting.

UPDATE on Mike McCoy: McDermott and McCoy have spoken throughout day. Had a very productive conversation. Will be interviewing tomorrow

Kevin Randal.

Very interesting. McDermott was rumored to want McCoy from the start. What's the connection that he would sway him over?

Very interesting. McDermott was rumored to want McCoy from the start. What's the connection that he would sway him over?

They worked together previously in Carolina and a pairing of them together has been talked about since November

They worked together previously in Carolina and a pairing of them together has been talked about since November

Per John Clayton, the connection is their agent. No overlap in Carolina, McCoy went to Denver in 2009, McDermott started there in 2011.

OK, but does it happen? I can't recall a OC/DC going to a new city based on $$

Maybe Garret waiting his turn in Dallas.

I do think that most coordinators are looking for the job that gets them the eventual big contract as a HC. But if a guy isn't looking to be a HC - perhaps they have already failed as a HC or just don't aspire to that position for whatever reason - then more money probably is a big deal. Also it's a way for less desirable destinations can compete with better ones. And, yes, it is happening now in some cases.

LaCalifornia didn't fact check.

McCoy:

Carolina Panthers (2000)

Offensive assistant

Carolina Panthers (2001)

Wide receivers coach

Carolina Panthers (20022003)

Offensive assistant

Carolina Panthers (20042005)

Quarterbacks coach & offensive assistant

Carolina Panthers (2006)

Quarterbacks coach

Carolina Panthers (20072008)

Passing coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Denver Broncos (2009)

Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Denver Broncos (20102012)

Offensive coordinator

San Diego Chargers (20132016)

Head coach

McDermott:

Philadelphia Eagles (19992000)

Scouting administrative coordinator

Philadelphia Eagles (2001)

Assistant to head coach

Philadelphia Eagles (20022003)

Defensive assistant & quality control

Philadelphia Eagles (20042006)

Assistant defensive backs coach

Philadelphia Eagles (2007)

Secondary coach

Philadelphia Eagles (2008)

Linebackers coach

Philadelphia Eagles (20092010)

Defensive coordinator & secondary coach

Carolina Panthers (2011-2016)

Defensive coordinator

Potential good news on Bill Musgrave if Mike McCoy does go to Denver...Guess who Leslie Frazier's OC in Minnesota was?

Edited by JM57