JW AP Article: Terry Pegula on Why He Likes McDermott

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, this is a message board. Other than that we all choose to spend part of our lives hanging out here, how do you know so much about how some of us live the rest of our lives?

Or if it's hanging out on the message board that earns your distain, well, where were you when you saw us here?

OK, so we have a statement from Pegs. We have a statement from Kim. Do we have a statement from Whaley?

If not, I understand why Sullivan is interpreting this as further diminishing Whaley.

Much can be gleaned

Be joyous... nothing can be worse than the Ryan Brothers train wreck. Seeing those titanic bozos on a tandem bike for a Wegmans commercial said it all. It made me want to puke. Wrestlers have grit and determination that can not be bought. I'm ok with Mickey D's to the rescue.

Even worse, the commercial was for Tops.

So have we worked ourselves into a funk over this hire yet? It never ceases to amaze me how no detail is too positive that it can be turned into a reason for despair.

You were noticing that too, huh? Must be Jerry Sullivan disciples.

Have you studied Bills football for the last 17 years.

At all?

You must have a pretty poor memory.

They hired a new coach today. We will see what happens. No reason to be upset already.

Im happy with the choice. The lack of excitement i had with mcdermott prior to his hiring was pure laziness on my part - i had simply failed to read up on him (other than knowing just the very basics about him.) Everything i have read about him from numerous sources has been positive.

Im happy with the choice. The lack of excitement i had with mcdermott prior to his hiring was pure laziness on my part - i had simply failed to read up on him (other than knowing just the very basics about him.) Everything i have read about him from numerous sources has been positive.

Most fans say things like this about most coach hirings, at this point in time.

He seemingly Quit wrestling per my sources.

is this the kind of Coach Buffalo needs right now?

What is Whaley doing here? hiring a quitter? Has he gone rogue yet again to save himself and Monos

all the Other stuff.

well we know she likes cake, what kind though ?

:lol::lol::lol:

You know what startles me 3rd? Whaleys co-sign of Rex and how they wanted a HC who wasnt "learning on the job" and this press release hyping up McDermott is the complete opposite of that statement. Ill keep a positive outlook but it just shows our owners are still learning how to navigate through the storms and at least (hopefully) Whaley made this pick so he can sink or swim with it

Ric Flair could totally run the analytics department.

The wrestler promo references everyone made in this thread after this comment were solid.

So have we worked ourselves into a funk over this hire yet? It never ceases to amaze me how no detail is too positive that it can be turned into a reason for despair.

:lol::lol:

Ive learned to give people the benefit of the doubt, after knowing how it feels to never get the benefit of the doubt, and having to prove people wrong over and over and over and over again. I am really interested to see who he brings in as OC and what he ends up doing with Tyrod.

I think it was a good hire.

I also think the Bills are better lead and managed than comes across. Here is the problem: Very bad communications and PR.

The team comes across as a dumpster fire because their communications with fans and the press suck***.

• Someone should know TP soundbites sound great to other PhD's, but not to the general public. The comms department needs to prepare canned soundbites for Terry.
  • Someone needs to get Whaley out there praising the hire, and sounding like he had skin in the game, even if not true
  • Whaley should have been comms coached before his disastrous end of season presser
  • McDermott needs a brief on Bills recent comms pitfalls, and what mistakes not to make

Where I once worked, if you were scheduled for an important briefing, you did an internal "murder board" first where you briefed with internal staff playing the role of outsiders. They picked you apart over and over until your brief was bullet proof. Obviously, the Bills don't do this... think Whaley presser.

Also if a major announcement came up a "strategic comms plan" was executed. Here's what the owner will say, here is the press release, we'll compliment with this leak etc. etc. Obviously the Bills don't do this... think Rex firing.

*** also, TBN is in the tank against this team. Low information fans (ticket buyers) follow TBN lead. The Bills need to fix their relationship with the prima donnas at TBN.

Edited by boater

You got the Nolan part wrong. He was hired to coach a tank team.

What kind of owner hires a HC only to have the team tank...for years? What, teams can only win with the elite talent in the top 5 at every other position? Then WTH has Cleveland been doing wrong all these years?

Tanking is for losers and Terry has his hockey team in a 7-year plan? Jeez!

A smart Billionaire bought the Sabres at their lowest point when they were losing money and about to move the franchise out of Buffalo. It took him only two seasons to get to the playoffs. The team became financially stable after that and season ticket sales went from 5800 to 14800 and sold out 39 of 40 homes games under that guy.

Excuse me, but the very last thing I want from a hockey lover owner who can't get his hockey team to win for the last seven years is to be directly involved in the hiring of the Buffalo Bills head coach... AGAIN!

Doug Whaley was supposedly going to make this hire and any sound bites coming from the team should be coming from him and as to why he and Monos like this new hire. If Doug Whaley is actually the team's GM, then let him have the final say.

I love the Pegula's for buying the team and keeping them in Buffalo.

I just don't like it that this new owner is stepping right into the shoes of the late owner in making football decisions! Even if it was a consensus of the four, Monos, Whaley, Terry and Kim with the owners having the final say. Thanks Russ!

To the guy who kept defending Rex Ryan post after post right up until he was fired. You are in no position to condemn others for their opinions...go away!

Wait, this is a message board. Other than that we all choose to spend part of our lives hanging out here, how do you know so much about how some of us live the rest of our lives?

Or if it's hanging out on the message board that earns your distain, well, where were you when you saw us here?

OK, so we have a statement from Pegs. We have a statement from Kim. Do we have a statement from Whaley?

If not, I understand why Sullivan is interpreting this as further diminishing Whaley.

Sadly, he appears as just a GM in namesake only as he has been since obtaining that title.

This is a very interesting Whaley quote. Thank you for reminding me.

Actually that's what she said after she hired Rex.

And then there was this from Whaley just 2 years ago:

“The way we looked at it with where our team is we’re scratching at the door and knocking at the door and we want to kick that door down,” said Whaley. “So we didn’t want a guy who was learning on the job. We wanted a guy who has been there and done that before and not have those missteps of a first-time head coach. "

Did you see Whaley's press conference? It will be interesting if he is any better at the next press conference. I cannot imagine it could go any worse. For the same reasons, I can hardly blame the PR department for not insisting that Whaley get out there with the press today. Even his expression on the photo Kim Pegula tweeted was odd.

I also think the Bills are better lead and managed than comes across. Here is the problem: Very bad communications and PR.

The team comes across as a dumpster fire because their communications with fans and the press suck***.

• Someone should know TP soundbites sound great to other PhD's, but not to the general public. The comms department needs to prepare canned soundbites for Terry.
  • Someone needs to get Whaley out there praising the hire, and sounding like he had skin in the game, even if not true
  • Whaley should have been comms coached before his disastrous end of season presser
  • McDermott needs a brief on Bills recent comms pitfalls, and what mistakes not to make

Where I once worked, if you were scheduled for an important briefing, you did an internal "murder board" first where you briefed with internal staff playing the role of outsiders. They picked you apart over and over until your brief was bullet proof. Obviously, the Bills don't do this... think Whaley presser.

Also if a major announcement came up a "strategic comms plan" was executed. Here's what the owner will say, here is the press release, we'll compliment with this leak etc. etc. Obviously the Bills don't do this... think Rex firing.

*** also, TBN is in the tank against this team. Low information fans (ticket buyers) follow TBN lead. The Bills need to fix their relationship with the prima donnas at TBN.

Edited by Peter

You are right the Bills communications are dire. I have said before putting Lynn up before the press without having first had someone in authority speak on the Rex and Tyrod decisions was a bad move.

The Whaley presser they had to expect the kind of nonsense the media guys came up with Whaley should have been prepared for that and looked genuinely stunned that they didn't want to ask him whether he would extend Zach Brown, whether they will target big name FAs or what their priorities might be for the draft. Again, poor planning, poor advice and it resulted in an underwhelming performance by Doug. They know he isn't a natural media performer.... so you have to give him the equivalent of some half field reads. I've been there with Government Ministers who are not good in front of the press. Give them a narrow focus.... tell them the 3 or 4 key messages they need to get out and if it appears like they are simply stonewalling the press then so be it. Don't have them out there trying to answer questions.... that is a recipe for disaster. Just because someone asks you a question does not mean you have to answer it.

Whaley's Statement: “Sean McDermott is an excellent football coach and we feel he is the perfect leader for this team," Whaley said. "Sean’s intelligence, leadership qualities and vision for our team impressed us throughout the interview process. I am excited to begin working with Coach McDermott and his staff."

High school wrestler at 171. Tremendous talent

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with what Pegula said regarding McDermott's wrestling experience. Pegula was referencing the discipline and commitment it takes to achieve that level of success as a wrestler and how it lends itself to success in other walks of life. He also said he knows it's not the sole qualifier for a person to be an NFL coach; just that those character traits says all he needs to about whether or not McDermott has the necessary drive for the job.

If you're a Bills fan, you throw shade. It's what you do.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with what Pegula said regarding McDermott's wrestling experience. Pegula was referencing the discipline and commitment it takes to achieve that level of success as a wrestler and how it lends itself to success in other walks of life. He also said he knows it's not the sole qualifier for a person to be an NFL coach; just that those character traits says all he needs to about whether or not McDermott has the necessary drive for the job.

If you're a Bills fan, you throw shade. It's what you do.

because some people just need to find the negative slant on anything the Bills say or do.