The new jw Tweets 1/11 - Questions on Whaley & TT

Reed83HOF

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John - I agree with you. Especially relating to Whaley.

By the same token, the reason why you got that interview with Terry is that you are fair. It is a two way street. That is why some journalists get the interviews and stories and others are left to their snark fest.

Peter I finally agree with one of your posts. I imagine you've been holding your breath.

It would take some pope like patience to smile in the face of people going for your throat with every article. Even saint Douglas couldn't handle it.

There isn't a respect there John. Not from you or honestly even Tim Graham when he's in a professional setting. But it's pretty obvious why he would clam up when you take a cursory look at twitter and article headlines.

Edited by Billschinatown

Peter I finally agree with one of your posts. I imagine you've been holding your breath.

It would take some pope like patience to smile in the face of people going for your throat with every article. Even saint Douglas couldn't handle it.

There isn't a respect there John. Not from you or honestly even Tim Graham when he's in a professional setting. But it's pretty obvious why he would clam up when you take a cursory look at twitter and article headlines.

Indeed.

1) McDermott and his camp came in fully aware of the dysfunction inside OBD. It stands to reason that they came in and asked for some additional authority and clarity.

2) Though Whaley headed the coaching search and scheduled McDermott first, it's clear based on text from Pegula to AP that he needed to be very comfortable and have a connection to the new coach.

3) The reports coming out of OBD drive before coaching search began officially calling Anthony Lynn as the clear front-runner didn't materialize out of thin air, or at the very least in the AP's reporting. That Anthony Lynn wasn't selected indicates the Bills didn't follow a

4) Numerous people within OBD were unpleased with Whaley's performance during the so-called "news conference." It did not reflect well on Whaley, the Pegulas or the organization as a whole. It begs the question how that performance could not have led to a reduction in confidence in Whaley's ability to perform his duties as a GM.

5) The Pegulas aren't in the business of going through yet another coaching search any time soon now that the Bills have have hired McDermott. So if there is a shift in the power structure based on optics alone, Whaley is the one on thinner ice moving forward.

jw

John,

Now that we've had the press conference, we learned that the reporting structure is unchanged - McDermott and Whaley both report to Pegula - and that Whaley will retain control of the 53 man roster.

So what additional authority and clarity do you feel was asked for?

jw, who I will defend to no end, is a member of the media. So he is, perhaps rightfully, pissed off at Whaley for not making himself available like a normal GM would do, during the season. And especially pissed off at him for his non-answers at the press conference.

I don't think Wawrow is "pissed off" at Whaley. I think he is pointing out that building relationships with people build credibility and trust, so Whaley "reaped what was sowed" in that regard.

I'm not in a position, obviously, to judge credibility of sources, but the situation was clearly that many if not all of the reporters in that room believed they had good information that decisions on several points, including the decision to fire Rex and to move on from Tyrod Taylor, were made in November or even October, and with significant input from Whaley. If one is going to face the press and give them answers which contradict what they believe to be true, one needs several things: 1) pre-existing credibility or trust 2) to openly acknowledge the discrepancy and provide information that bridges or plausibly resolves it.

That said, since we're giving JW a little love and adulation here, I'd like to point out again that both Pegula and Whaley have said that the decision to fire Rex was not made until that week, and that the decision on Taylor has not been made yet. So JW, is the media belief that both Pegula and Whaley are lying, because they contradict La Canfora and other media reports on these points?

A head coach that has no desire to fight for his job and requests to be let go a week early speaks volumes.

One of the strangest reports in this whole strange saga is that Rex sat Lynn down last offseason and told him he could interview for other jobs, but "I will be gone after next season, the Pegulas really like you, and you'll be the next HC of the Bills". If requesting to be let go a week early speaks volumes, that report cranks the volume up high.

One of the strangest reports in this whole strange saga is that Rex sat Lynn down last offseason and told him he could interview for other jobs, but "I will be gone after next season, the Pegulas really like you, and you'll be the next HC of the Bills". If requesting to be let go a week early speaks volumes, that report cranks the volume up high.

Yes, but what exactly is it cranking?

It depending to what extent you want to parse it, taking it at face value, it could suggest that Rex had some cause to know he'd likely be fired (ultimatum?), suspected he would not be able to meet expectations (lack of desire? sabotage? submarining twin who he promised his dad he'd take care of?), and suspected that the Pegulas were likely to choose the coach (history?).

whaley has one year to save his own azz.

keeping TT is a ground rule double, if he moves on from TT, he needs to hit a home run at QB...which is unlikely.

He should have been tossed with Rex, but he is still here. Initially I figured this would be his prove it year; but the only way I see him getting canned is if he has a poor draft. He does well with pro-personnel so I don't see if hanging himself there and the only other way he gets dumped is if he doesn't get along with the new HC. Possibly if during the draft there is a disagreement between him and Monos and Monos outshines him in hindsight. I think moving on from TT would require the Pegs to be ok with that upfront as well; since it will most likely involve a step back and Rex brought us TT...

This thread is crazy. It blows my mind that people judge this organization based on how they talk to the press....especially the Buffalo press, 90% of whom openly try to twist every single sentence into some conspiracy theory and tear down everything in sight. Christ, this team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 friggin years and it's the press conferences that get everyone in an uproar!!!

JW, I appreciate your attention to detail in your reporting. Your question yesterday about Laycock was perfect and gave me more insight into who SM is as a man than I could have expected going into that press conference. I have no history in writing or journalism, so my opinion probably doesn't stack up, but I will always make a point to read your stuff as soon as I see that it's out there (as opposed to intentionally avoiding others').

That said, while it may be naive to not understand how the press can sway public opinion, to stick up for the bullying ways of modern media is reprehensible, and especially so from someone like you who seems, at least from the outside, to have more traditional journalistic values.

People like Sullivan and trash like the sports reporting of TBN should be ridiculed by the rest of the media, not supported and defended as doing their jobs. Listening to these press conferences and their tabloid "tough" questions is embarrassing and uncomfortable. There's absolutely no reason for anyone in the Buffalo Bills organization to feel comfortable releasing ANY information other than from fear of being dragged through the mud by butt hurt columnists and then having those opinions picked up as fact by national media who are too lazy to do any actual fact checking into the stories.

Yeah, I can't really blame Whaley if he despises the press. What reason is there for him to feel otherwise? Standing there in front of a group of people who are there for nothing more than to make you look as bad as possible in order to get a few more views for the ads on their webpage? I'd probably be nervous and come across like an !@#$ too.

Reading between the lines, McDermott was a Monos guy. Pegula liked him. Whaley isn't a Tyrod guy. Pegula likes him. Pegula is wondering if maybe I should just turn this thing over to Monos and keep Tyrod?

Why wait? He said he and Rex would be gone if they didn't fix the team and only one guy went.

I think it would be pretty stupid of this team to give up on Tyrod now with him being developed by two advanced run game coordinators. I really was hoping to see what Mike McCoy could do with this offense.

A head coach that has no desire to fight for his job and requests to be let go a week early speaks volumes.

Or how about a HC that submarines his own team to get fired Dick Jauron did that exact thing the year he was fired.

I think there is a chance DW could be gone after the draft as from I know front office contracts typically expire May 1st after the draft for the reasons being that person has done all the scouting. If he doesn't go then , I think he'll be around for a few years. McD signed a five year contract. I think he'll be given four years to turn it around as I don't think TP wants to do another coaching search if he can avoid it, would rather give McD time to fix things. If in two years, things are no better, can see TP more telling DW OK you need to fix the roster. If you fire DW and keep McD, then you get into the ugly messy situation with a GM in place who didn't hire the HC. So unless TP really feels DW is doing a terrible job in the draft or FA, I think he will be here as long as McD is.

whaley has one year to save his own azz.

keeping TT is a ground rule double, if he moves on from TT, he needs to hit a home run at QB...which is unlikely.

I could see Whaley leaving after the draft. "Mutual decision" and all. Monos promoted to fill the spot.

Glad to see Rex gone as he really made a mess of too many things. However with the leaks that he's going to be fired at year end, him being told he can't play TT, really can't blame him much at all to ask TP lets get this over with now. Didn't Dick Jauron do the same, left with about 3 or 4 weeks to go. Perry Fuwell was named interim coach and Bobby April was furious he wasn't named interim coach as his position was officially the assistant HC

1) McDermott and his camp came in fully aware of the dysfunction inside OBD. It stands to reason that they came in and asked for some additional authority and clarity.

And yet, he/they still signed with such a dysfuntional franchise. I find it rather courious that nobody from the press called McDermott a liar when he said this was the best job opening, why? I guess there wasn't too much blood in the water...

2) Though Whaley headed the coaching search and scheduled McDermott first, it's clear based on text from Pegula to AP that he needed to be very comfortable and have a connection to the new coach.

Groundbreaking, the owner of the team had to be very comfortable with the guy he was going to hire. Still, McDemott was Whaley's choice.

3) The reports coming out of OBD drive before coaching search began officially calling Anthony Lynn as the clear front-runner didn't materialize out of thin air, or at the very least in the AP's reporting. That Anthony Lynn wasn't selected indicates the Bills didn't follow a pre-planned agenda that was initially laid out.

People make plans all the time, very few times those plans follow through. I wonder if those reports from inside OBD were from someone relevant, they could have come from Leroi from all we know. If I'm not mistaken it was LaCanfora that reported Lynn was a shoe in for the job. LaCanfora....

4) Numerous people within OBD were unpleased with Whaley's performance during the so-called "news conference." It did not reflect well on Whaley, the Pegulas or the organization as a whole. It begs the question how that performance could not have led to a reduction in confidence in Whaley's ability to perform his duties as a GM.

I wonder how many loses will that failed Whaley's conference will net us next year, I'm worried. I guess most in the media missed Pegulas' memo regarding Rex firing. The media knew damn well why Rex was fired, but hey, they must harrumph.....

5) The Pegulas aren't in the business of going through yet another coaching search any time soon now that the Bills have have hired McDermott. So if there is a shift in the power structure based on optics alone, Whaley is the one on thinner ice moving forward.

That's only fair, I bet they would like McDermott to be the coach for the next 20 years, if only they would have listened the first time....

jw

Fixxxer

Edited by Fixxxer

I think there is a chance DW could be gone after the draft as from I know front office contracts typically expire May 1st after the draft for the reasons being that person has done all the scouting. If he doesn't go then , I think he'll be around for a few years. McD signed a five year contract. I think he'll be given four years to turn it around as I don't think TP wants to do another coaching search if he can avoid it, would rather give McD time to fix things. If in two years, things are no better, can see TP more telling DW OK you need to fix the roster. If you fire DW and keep McD, then you get into the ugly messy situation with a GM in place who didn't hire the HC. So unless TP really feels DW is doing a terrible job in the draft or FA, I think he will be here as long as McD is.

Glad to see Rex gone as he really made a mess of too many things. However with the leaks that he's going to be fired at year end, him being told he can't play TT, really can't blame him much at all to ask TP lets get this over with now. Didn't Dick Jauron do the same, left with about 3 or 4 weeks to go. Perry Fuwell was named interim coach and Bobby April was furious he wasn't named interim coach as his position was officially the assistant HC

How do you stand there as a coach and ask players that are busting their asses and playing hurt to rally and keep playing as hard as they can to possibly come back for a victory?

But when things are going tough for you professionally, instead of reaching down deep and fighting until the end, you crawl away like a beaten dog.

If asking to be released early is true, Rex is pathetic.

This thread is crazy. It blows my mind that people judge this organization based on how they talk to the press....especially the Buffalo press, 90% of whom openly try to twist every single sentence into some conspiracy theory and tear down everything in sight. Christ, this team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 friggin years and it's the press conferences that get everyone in an uproar!!!

JW, I appreciate your attention to detail in your reporting. Your question yesterday about Laycock was perfect and gave me more insight into who SM is as a man than I could have expected going into that press conference. I have no history in writing or journalism, so my opinion probably doesn't stack up, but I will always make a point to read your stuff as soon as I see that it's out there (as opposed to intentionally avoiding others').

That said, while it may be naive to not understand how the press can sway public opinion, to stick up for the bullying ways of modern media is reprehensible, and especially so from someone like you who seems, at least from the outside, to have more traditional journalistic values.

People like Sullivan and trash like the sports reporting of TBN should be ridiculed by the rest of the media, not supported and defended as doing their jobs. Listening to these press conferences and their tabloid "tough" questions is embarrassing and uncomfortable. There's absolutely no reason for anyone in the Buffalo Bills organization to feel comfortable releasing ANY information other than from fear of being dragged through the mud by butt hurt columnists and then having those opinions picked up as fact by national media who are too lazy to do any actual fact checking into the stories.

Yeah, I can't really blame Whaley if he despises the press. What reason is there for him to feel otherwise? Standing there in front of a group of people who are there for nothing more than to make you look as bad as possible in order to get a few more views for the ads on their webpage? I'd probably be nervous and come across like an !@#$ too.

That's cool, blame the press for the Bills's failures as an organization and give a free pass to Pegula, Whaley and Brandon. Their track record is ABYSMAL. That is why there are so many negative articles out of Buffalo, and rightfully so.

17 YEARS OF FUTILITY and EMBARRASSMENT "can sway public opinion" in case you haven't noticed. ZERO accountability for the Big Three who sit atop the Bills heirarchy, and you seem to be OK with that because it's the big bad media who is the problem? Our record over the last decade has so many facts you can check... brutal facts.

GIVE ME a BREAK.

Edited by BmoreBills

That's cool, blame the press for the Bills's failures as an organization and give a free pass to Pegula, Whaley and Brandon. Their track record is ABYSMAL. That is why there are so many negative articles out of Buffalo, and rightfully so.

17 YEARS OF FUTILITY and EMBARRASSMENT "can sway public opinion" in case you haven't noticed. ZERO accountability for the Big Three who sit atop the Bills heirarchy, and you seem to be OK with that because it's the big bad media who is the problem? Our record over the last decade has so many facts you can check... brutal facts.

GIVE ME a BREAK.

Your response has almost nothing to do with what I wrote.