Rob Quinn on Trubisky replacing Tyrod

You're deluding yourself if you think Trubisky is a better prospect than Cardale because he had a higher completion percentage in college (against a far lower level of competition). If "accuracy" (as measured by completion percentage, presumably) were all that mattered, then the Kellen Moores and Bryce Pettys of the world would have been drafted in the first round and would now be franchise QBs. (Tom Brady, by the way, had a completion percentage at Michigan of just over 60, about the same as CJ.) CJ had a slightly higher YPA (8.6 vs. 8.4), won a hell of lot more big games, against better competition, is bigger, faster and has a stronger arm than Trubisky. They both played about a full season of college ball. I'm not saying that either will or will not become a star in the NFL, but there is no reason to consider Trubisky a better (or even more "pro-ready") prospect than CJ, and therefore no reason to spend a high draft pick on him or, god forbid, trade up for him.

Trubisky from my perspective is more NFL ready, accurate and has better field vision than Cardale.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The giant red flag is Larry Fedora's system of all offense and no defense. It's the football version of what Loyola Marymount used to do in college basketball.

Not a good analogy. Basketball players play both ways, offense and defense. In football, one has very little to do with the other, they succeed or fail primarily on their own merits.

Gee I can't wait for this guy in the NFL. North Carolina played a handful of games against good teams. And he was pretty much less than stellar in all of them, except for Florida State, where he was pretty lights out. So, call me a little less enthusiastic about this "dart thrower". His darts didn't seem to connect much against teams that have a clue in the NCAA.

24-40 for 156 yards against Georgia at home. 0 TD's, 0 INT's.

13-33 for 58 yards against Virginia Tech at home. 0 TD's, 2 INT's

23-39 for 280 yards against Stanford on a neutral field with 2 TD's and 2 INT's

Lights Out Here though, almost unexplainably....

31-38 for 405 yards, and 3 TD's at FSU. Great game.

Of course though, he lit up Illinois, JMU (FCS), Pitt, Miami, UVA, Citadel (FCS), NC State, and Duke though. Because those teams are all so good.

Mark me down as not really all that impressed. The ACC is awful outside of two schools. The defenses are awful for the most part. They played two schools in the FCS. He's a one year wonder that really wasn't all that great against some borderline top level competition. Red Flags all over if you ask me. He could end up special, but if this guys busts, you can't say there wasn't sufficient enough evidence to see that.

Don't misinterpret this as me shilling for Trubisky, but you're just not accurate in your assessment. Georgia was the first game of the season, it was basically a road game (at the Georgia Dome, not at home), and it was Trubisky's first game as the starter.

The VA Tech game was played during a hurricane; it was ridiculous they didn't postpone the game. Down the road in Raleigh, NC State and Notre Dame played one of the ugliest games in recent memory on the same day. This one gets thrown out.

You're calling the Stanford game a bad game? He made one awful throw for a pick 6 in the 2nd half and took a bad sack to take NC out of FG range in the 4th quarter, but he also led a 99-yard TD drive in the final 2:00 that nearly tied the game (missed the 2-pt conversion). During that drive he actually threw THREE TD passes -- the first two were dropped.

He developed a great late game reputation in other games as well -- in successive weeks he led ridiculous 4th quarter comebacks against Pitt and FSU.

Trubisky is a very solid pro prospect. Five games into the season I think he was completing nearly 80% of his passes. Very accurate, makes anticipation throws, and makes quick decisions. He's "mobile enough" to move in the pocket and avoid trouble. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Bills wound up with him.

Don't misinterpret this as me shilling for Trubisky, but you're just not accurate in your assessment. Georgia was the first game of the season, it was basically a road game (at the Georgia Dome, not at home), and it was Trubisky's first game as the starter.

The VA Tech game was played during a hurricane; it was ridiculous they didn't postpone the game. Down the road in Raleigh, NC State and Notre Dame played one of the ugliest games in recent memory on the same day. This one gets thrown out.

You're calling the Stanford game a bad game? He made one awful throw for a pick 6 in the 2nd half and took a bad sack to take NC out of FG range in the 4th quarter, but he also led a 99-yard TD drive in the final 2:00 that nearly tied the game (missed the 2-pt conversion). During that drive he actually threw THREE TD passes -- the first two were dropped.

He developed a great late game reputation in other games as well -- in successive weeks he led ridiculous 4th quarter comebacks against Pitt and FSU.

Trubisky is a very solid pro prospect. Five games into the season I think he was completing nearly 80% of his passes. Very accurate, makes anticipation throws, and makes quick decisions. He's "mobile enough" to move in the pocket and avoid trouble. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Bills wound up with him.

Thanks. This is far more convincing than just saying, "He's more accurate than Cardale."

Thanks. This is far more convincing than just saying, "He's more accurate than Cardale."

I've come around to the line of thinking that says accuracy can't truly be "taught," and Trubisky is definitely accurate. He can't do the things Cardale can do with his arm but I see him developing arm strength in much the same way Brady has throughout his career.

Spot on. That Fsu late drive was pretty impressive. I think this guy will be good.

Not going to read all 7 pages, may have been discussed already.

Why could he not beat out Marques Williams and ultimately only start his senior year? I have always been led to believe that this is a huge red flag. At least for a first round pick!

Because Williams was lights out too for a college qb. Iirc he's on the packers cashing NFL checks

I don't get the slamming of the article. You want the guy to post one thing a year with his opinion on what should or could happen and never present any other options? He's one of the few guys out there not posting reactionary garbage like TBN, I actually recommend following billswire on twitter.

Not going to read all 7 pages, may have been discussed already.

Why could he not beat out Marques Williams and ultimately only start his senior year? I have always been led to believe that this is a huge red flag. At least for a first round pick!

Same reason there is gobs of talent sitting behind JT Barrett. College offenses gonna college.

Does it not mean that Trubisky is hurt by lack of experience though and thus development? It seems like there is much to learn for a guy with 13 starts. IMO not in round 1.

indeed, his inexperience is a risk. He has 2 more starts than Cardale. But, it's just one of many factors.