Pegulas reportedly expressed remorse for benching Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

It tells me that they want the HC making those decisions but did not trust him to do so. In fact, I would hope this whole situation is being brought up in the interviews.

So, they don't want Lynn? Didn't trust him enough to make that call. Again if I am Lynn I don't take that position. A Lynn will get plenty of job offers and being HC in the Bills' parade may not be the best thing on your resume. Would you rather be a losing head coach or a winning OC?

I gotta' disagree with this somewhat. Mara and Rooney inherited SB winning franchises with strong organizations in place. It's been easy for them. Their fathers bumbled GREATLY before finally finding the right stewardship for their teams.

Kraft is an interesting one though. He has hired Bill Parcell, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick. What are the odds of hiring THREE HOF coaches in a f*cking row? And he ran the first two out of town! :lol:

Prior to Belichick getting there he was without question a meddler......but BB won a SB in year 2 with the team so it got REALLLLLY easy not to meddle thereafter. :thumbsup:

I don't think the Pegula's are wrong for wanting to be actively involved with turning around the most moribund franchise in the NFL......you can't just turn this sh*t show over to someone and walk away.

Kraft inherited a mess too and he didn't just fade into the woodwork.

Kraft is simply better at identifying the right people to hire. He was plotting to own the team for 25+ years before he bought it and he found a rich woman to marry and was able to live out his dream. The Pegula's were very casual football fans......and they inherited a football-dumb braintrust lead by Russ Brandon. They've clearly discarded his opinion so that hurdle has been crossed.

I think they need to hire Lynn and if it doesn't work out dump Lynn and Whaley and the entire football department next year or the year after and try to find their own Parcells.

Great post.

Untrue, except maybe I was a little dramatic. Still, coaches want to win every game for themselves and their players. Every game matters and every one goes on a coach's record. You thinking Rex sees it differently?

In a few years... Yeah, people will only see the win/loss record and forget the particulars of his first game as HC. However, if anyone is currently looking at that game and say... "But you didn't win. Your team lacked focus. Why didn't you start so and so?" Then, you do not want to work for them, because they're clueless.

Lynn is getting serious looks this off season, not because he was a HC for a week, but because he took over as OC after week 2 and guided the Bills to the best rushing attack in the league and overall good offensive stats for the season.

I gotta' disagree with this somewhat. Mara and Rooney inherited SB winning franchises with strong organizations in place. It's been easy for them. Their fathers bumbled GREATLY before finally finding the right stewardship for their teams.

Kraft is an interesting one though. He has hired Bill Parcell, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick. What are the odds of hiring THREE HOF coaches in a f*cking row? And he ran the first two out of town! :lol:

Prior to Belichick getting there he was without question a meddler......but BB won a SB in year 2 with the team so it got REALLLLLY easy not to meddle thereafter. :thumbsup:

I don't think the Pegula's are wrong for wanting to be actively involved with turning around the most moribund franchise in the NFL......you can't just turn this sh*t show over to someone and walk away.

Kraft inherited a mess too and he didn't just fade into the woodwork.

Kraft is simply better at identifying the right people to hire. He was plotting to own the team for 25+ years before he bought it and he found a rich woman to marry and was able to live out his dream. The Pegula's were very casual football fans......and they inherited a football-dumb braintrust lead by Russ Brandon. They've clearly discarded his opinion so that hurdle has been crossed.

I think they need to hire Lynn and if it doesn't work out dump Lynn and Whaley and the entire football department next year or the year after and try to find their own Parcells.

That's certainly fair. Your first statement is what I meant when I said learn from them though. They saw those experiences and how things were bumbled. I think they would have some advice for the Pegulas based on what they witnessed, and I think it would resonate. Just my opinion.

this is related to my post on whether or not the pegulas are meddling

i strongly agree with the decision to play the backups that game, regardless of tyrods groin. mgmts job is not to worry about a coaches one game w/l record. their job is to make good long term decisions. getting a look at your vital backup decisions is a smart one

further, if handled properly it doesnt even have to cause much if any of a stir like it did. somebody failed in that communication, and if that came from the pegulas it would again be a potential incident of meddling. or it could have been a fubar by whaley for not setting the right tone and expectation, which wouldnt be the pegulas meddling it would just be another boner by whaley. can i say boner? boner boner boner. guess so

@mikesilver

It has always been a process. The owners are very, very high on Lynn. He has legit interest from SF, LA, Jax. We'll see what happens.

This is consistent with my gut feeling.

Whaley would greatly prefer not to hire Lynn.

Two clear reasons:

1) Lynn made Tyrod look very effective this season while Tyrod was missing a lot of opportunities in the passing game. Opportunities that would not have even existed for guys like EJ or Cardale or Brian Hoyer( :doh: ), who would have had too much instant pressure in their grills to do anything behind this OL. But NONETHELESS.......WR were running wide open that weren't thrown to or thrown accurately to. Keeping Lynn without Tyrod will set Whaley up for massacre with fans and media if Lynn fails to replicate his offensive success of 2016.

2) The likely understanding that Lynn represents continuity and Whaley is hoping to entirely re-set his GM employment clock with HIS OWN hire....not the residual of the Russo-Pegula hire Rex Ryan.

I personally just don't feel Doug deserves a re-boot. Yeah, he's only been GM for Marrone and Rex but he's been here 7 years and his personnel work has been average with the exception of QB and much worse if you factor in his inability to find a QB, which I do.

Edited by #BADOL

Cut TT and here comes the 2-14, 3-13 season.

With TT, improve the defense, give him healthy WR, anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6. If he improved significantly, maybe the records moves upward. In the end, real success can't happen as long as Tom Brady is still healthy.

So, they don't want Lynn? Didn't trust him enough to make that call. Again if I am Lynn I don't take that position. A Lynn will get plenty of job offers and being HC in the Bills' parade may not be the best thing on your resume. Would you rather be a losing head coach or a winning OC?

No. Lynn hasn't been involved in any conversations regarding personnel(upcoming FAs/possible draft targets/vision of team in future). If the new coach has a hand in the future of the franchise and is not just tasked with winning the next game on the schedule regardless of its overall importance, it's a good thing.

Then, you don't get things like Marrone playing Orton in a meaningless game in NE or Ryan trying to play a hurt Sammy Watkins to start the year and getting him hurt even more in a walkthrough.

Ahhh......... 399 points is not failing to move the offense.....the chains moved plenty this year. That is 25 points a game....with a bad D that got very few turnovers.

And he failed in the 4th quarter with a chance to win in almost every game. Played well vs the dolphins at home (and still had to settle for a failed fg and a punt in OT with a W with the playoffs on the line). Played well vs Seattle but couldnt get the ball in the end zone with 4 chances inside the red zone. Like I said, he wasn't THE problem, but his 4th quarter drives to get the lead or run out the clock were A problem. Sure our offense scored points but they couldn't score points when we needed to in most situations. Not sure what to say if you can't understand that.

This is consistent with my gut feeling.

Whaley would greatly prefer not to hire Lynn.

Two clear reasons:

1) Lynn made Tyrod look very effective this season while Tyrod was missing a lot of opportunities in the passing game. Opportunities that would not have even existed for guys like EJ or Cardale or Brian Hoyer( :doh: ), who would have had too much instant pressure in their grills to do anything behind this OL. But NONETHELESS.......WR were running wide open that weren't thrown to or thrown accurately to. Keeping Lynn without Tyrod will set Whaley up for massacre with fans and media if Lynn fails to replicate his offensive success of 2016.

2) The likely understanding that Lynn represents continuity and Whaley is hoping to entirely re-set his GM employment clock with HIS OWN hire....not the residual of the Russo-Pegula hire Rex Ryan.

I personally just don't feel Doug deserves a re-boot. Yeah, he's only been GM for Marrone and Rex but he's been here 7 years and his personnel work has been average with the exception of QB and much worse if you factor in his inability to find a QB, which I do.

Very well said!

Cardale's going to be the starter next year. I guarantee it.

They're just mad they can't sell him as "Tyrod II" now since he looked like trash in the final game.

6-11 96 Yards. Not trash. Not great. Dude played less than a quarter. Meaningless playing time that would tell neither the organization or fans about him either way; which is why they preferred not to play him at all.

Sounds like they don't think they should have told him to bench him. But rather that they should have given the decision to Lynn. Sounds to me like Lynn not happy with the decision made for week 17.

I don't read much into it for what it means next year. If they aren't keeping taylor and lynn is offered and wants the job,he will have to accept that. Unless he truly has a say in the decision.

But Whaley said that Lynn was in on the decision.

That's certainly fair. Your first statement is what I meant when I said learn from them though. They saw those experiences and how things were bumbled. I think they would have some advice for the Pegulas based on what they witnessed, and I think it would resonate. Just my opinion.

That's where we differ. I think they inherited very good situations that would have taken some effort to f*ck up. When John Mara first gained power with the Giants the first new HC hire was Ray Handley. :lol: But the Giants were a premium job at that point. There was room for error. The Noll/Cowher transition was different........but the choice Rooney and Donahoe had to make was between Cowher, Mike Holmgren and Dennis Green. I mean........damn.......two near HOF's and a guy that took a team to the playoffs for 7 straight years with different QB's almost every year? :lol: I'm not in the "it's all luck" crowd but that was a very fortuitous time to be looking for a HC.

But Whaley said that Lynn was in on the decision.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/anthony_lynn_wasnt_in_room_when_buffalo_bills_decided_to_bench_tyrod_taylor.html

"I don't know about that," Lynn said. "I wasn't in the meeting when that decision was made, so I don't know."

"That was not my decision, to not start Tyrod."

Wait a minute, those are my two and only two dreams. Actually there is a slight variation on the second dream, which is that she's rich but doesn't speak a word of English. Where have I gone so wrong???