Pegulas reportedly expressed remorse for benching Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any business decision that takes away from winning reeks of losing and incompetence. How can anyone expect players to give their all when management is not? The fact that this seems acceptable to posters here says a lot about the level of incompetence we are used too.

Tyrods contract injury clause which most seem to think was brilliant on the Bills part was stupid and amateur. Just like Dareus getting paid millions to play Xbox while suspended.

Maybe they thought having a top 10 pick was worth more then winning a meaningless game

It's supposed to be about winning. Resting players for the playoffs when you have earned that luxury is about winning. Losing is never acceptable under any circumstances. Maybe I am off base. Ask a winner.

If you arent in the playoffs, the next best thing is to be as bad as possible. That isn't a life philosophy on being a winner. That is the reality of the specific system the NFL has setup.

The Bills havent played EITHER side of that system well for decades.

It's supposed to be about winning. Resting players for the playoffs when you have earned that luxury is about winning. Losing is never acceptable under any circumstances. Maybe I am off base. Ask a winner.

For YEARS the bills have been winning these last meaningless game in their season which affected their draft position.......

Would you rather be drafting 10 or 15?

I dont even care about the TT injury clause thing......I care about getting the best assets going into next season.

The Cowboys lost their season finale to the Eagles. I'm sure they're heartbroken.

The decision being taken out of his hands gave Lynn an insight as to how life as the Bills HC would be. My guess is that the subject came up during the interview, Lynn expressed his displeasure at how it went down, the Pegulas realize if Lynn doesn't accept the job in Buffalo they will be hard pressed to find anyone with any ability to take the job. So they "express remorse" hoping to convince Lynn and the other candidates they really aren't meddling owners.

You overlook the fact that Lynn only got the job in the first place - according to one narrative - because Ryan announced he was going to start TT in a meaningless game, putting $30 million at risk.

Seems to make my point Lynn hasn't been and wasn't involved in the conversations. I understand the business side but Pegs should have had that convo with his HC upfront, man to man/face to face, not say I am sorry after the fact. If all of this is true and I am Lynn, trust just left the building and so have I. Lynn's small body of work speaks for itself, he took the groceries in the cupboard and produced a quality meal.

Reminiscent of that Food Network show where the chef needs to incorporate a totally inappropriate ingredient into the recipe. EJ Manuel = the Cup of Cilantro in the Chocolate Cake.

The decision being taken out of his hands gave Lynn an insight as to how life as the Bills HC would be. My guess is that the subject came up during the interview, Lynn expressed his displeasure at how it went down, the Pegulas realize if Lynn doesn't accept the job in Buffalo they will be hard pressed to find anyone with any ability to take the job. So they "express remorse" hoping to convince Lynn and the other candidates they really aren't meddling owners.

thats a fair take generally speaking

Ahhh......... 399 points is not failing to move the offense.....the chains moved plenty this year. That is 25 points a game....with a bad D that got very few turnovers.

FWIW 25% playoff teams, Raiders, Dolphins, Packers and Falcons (43-21 combined record) defenses gave up more points than the Bills defense did. They are all playoff teams, are their defenses better than the Bills?

Cot = DNC, bunch of crybabies.

I'd rather the Pegulas listen WGR than the brainless babies crying here.

If you arent in the playoffs, the next best thing is to be as bad as possible. That isn't a life philosophy on being a winner. That is the reality of the specific system the NFL has setup.

The Bills havent played EITHER side of that system well for decades.

When Andy Robustelli was GM of the Giants, he once said that from a business standpoint the best place to finish was to almost make the playoffs every year. That way the fans are excited for next year and you didn't draft to high, so you didn't have to pay a lot.

Reminiscent of that Food Network show where the chef needs to incorporate a totally inappropriate ingredient into the recipe. EJ Manuel = the Cup of Cilantro in the Chocolate Cake.

gosh i hate Cilantro. Only if i can taste it though.

FWIW 25% playoff teams, Raiders, Dolphins, Packers and Falcons (43-21 combined record) defenses gave up more points than the Bills defense did. They are all playoff teams, are their defenses better than the Bills?

well isn't thaaat special.

How do those Pegulas sound on WGR BTW?

nobody really gives 2 ***** what you think......

When Andy Robustelli was GM of the Giants, he once said that from a business standpoint the best place to finish was to almost make the playoffs every year. That way the fans are excited for next year and you didn't draft to high, so you didn't have to pay a lot.

sick perverse mf that guy is.

Did Brandon apprentice to him ? LOL

Edited by 3rdand12

And of those teams, 3 scored more points than the Bills. Raiders were 7th, Packers 4th, and Falcons 1st.

Also, FWIW 4 of the top 5 scoring defenses are in the playoffs, 5 of the top 7, and 6 of the top 10.

50% of playoffs teams have a top 10 scoring defense.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I gotta' disagree with this somewhat. Mara and Rooney inherited SB winning franchises with strong organizations in place. It's been easy for them. Their fathers bumbled GREATLY before finally finding the right stewardship for their teams.

Kraft is an interesting one though. He has hired Bill Parcell, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick. What are the odds of hiring THREE HOF coaches in a f*cking row? And he ran the first two out of town! :lol:

Prior to Belichick getting there he was without question a meddler......but BB won a SB in year 2 with the team so it got REALLLLLY easy not to meddle thereafter. :thumbsup:

I don't think the Pegula's are wrong for wanting to be actively involved with turning around the most moribund franchise in the NFL......you can't just turn this sh*t show over to someone and walk away.

Kraft inherited a mess too and he didn't just fade into the woodwork.

Kraft is simply better at identifying the right people to hire. He was plotting to own the team for 25+ years before he bought it and he found a rich woman to marry and was able to live out his dream. The Pegula's were very casual football fans......and they inherited a football-dumb braintrust lead by Russ Brandon. They've clearly discarded his opinion so that hurdle has been crossed.

I think they need to hire Lynn and if it doesn't work out dump Lynn and Whaley and the entire football department next year or the year after and try to find their own Parcells.

I gotta disagree with some of this. But love the idea of the Buffalo Bills finding their own Parcells!, err Bill Belichick!

In regards to Robert Kraft and Parcells, as it wasn't Kraft who hired Parcells as he only owned the stadium at that point in time. It was James Orthwein who owned the team and hired Parcells by offering him to be the GM and HC. Old Bill was hired in 1993 and Kraft bought the team in 1994. Parcells did build a 2-14 team into a playoff team in two years as his first year he went 6-10 and in the second went 10-6 losing a WC round. In another two seasons, Parcells had a SB team with Drew Bledsoe at QB.

After that SB In 1996 Bill Parcells wanted to leave the Patriots but alas his contract stated that he couldn't coach anywhere else in the NFL. To circumvent this the Jets hired Parcells as a "consultant" and then hired Bill Belichick to be the Jets HC. At this point, NE started a legal action and that is when the league stepped in and brokered a deal between the teams allowing Parcells to be the Jets HC.

What's crazy is Bill Parcells coaching staff with the NY Jets in 1997. OC Charlie Weis, DC Bill Belichick, D-line coach Romeo Crennel, Al Groh LBer coach, Todd Haley offensive assistant, QC, Eric Mangini defensive assistant, QC. BTW, Parcells was also the GM with the Jets too.

The 1996 NY Jets went 1-15 and with Parcells as GM, HC they went 9-7 in his first year. Playoffs the second season going 12-4 to the AFC championship game. In 1999 the Jets went 8-8 and Parcells wanted to retire leaving Belichick as the new HC. Instead the Patriots, Robert Kraft made him a better offer and he bolted to the Patriots.

Pete Carroll as the Patriots HC inherited a solid team and went 10-6, to 9-7, to 8-8 and with an opportunity to hire Belichick away from the NY Jets Kraft fired Carroll and hired Bill. Anyway, at that point in time, Carroll isn't the man he is today.

Robert Kraft is a brilliant man who knew who to hire to build a powerhouse team and he did that and then stood back and let Belichick do just that.

At one point Ralph Wilson knew who to hire to bolster his floundering team and save him from needing to sell it. Chuck Knox was fired in LA for the failure of not reaching a SB. However, Knox had won five straight NFC West championships and his teams lost three NFC Championship games. Knox didn't come cheap and was one of the highest paid coaches in the league in Buffalo.

On this note, I might add that Knox basically had complete autonomy in choosing his players and building his team his way. Stew Barber was the Bills GM at the time and Knox had the power of player personnel over him. Knox also brought his director of player personnel with him from the Rams in Norm Pollom and it was Norm who later on recommended hiring Bill Polian. Another interesting note was that Wilson didn't meddle with Knox as he did in other years. He stepped back and allowed Chuck to build a playoff team.

The 2017 Buffalo Bills are so dysfunctional that they may need to clean sweep the entire front office, scouting department, doctors, trainers and hire all new top people. This includes Russ Brandom because he will probably always stick his nose in football affairs or be leaking things to the press. The Pegula's need to hire a team president of football operations who should then hire his own GM, HC. Also, the owners should stay in the background and allow the football man to do his job.

Just fixing one aspect of the team isn't going to build a Super Bowl contending team. It's not just about the QB, the HC, the OC, the DC. It all starts at the top!

If these new owners ever want to actually compete with the Patriots they will need to hire someone who is capable of doing just that. Look at the top five teams in the playoffs and hire a GM from one of them and promote him to be the team president of football operations. I keep going back to Green Bay's GM Ted Thompson who is not only the teams GM but also an executive VP, director of football operations. If he won't come to Buffalo then perhaps hire Eliot Wolf to Bills GM who is the Packers director of football operations for Green Bay.