Pegulas reportedly expressed remorse for benching Taylor

YoloinOhio

Yeah. Getting CJ Anderson back and drafting or signing some better OL could create a very potent offense.

I bet they'd take Siemian or Lynch's future over Tyrod's.

They came after Tyrod before Siemian or Lynch were on the roster.

I'd trade in an instant if Denver came calling, but I think that if they did pick up the phone, it wouldn't be Tyrod they'd be asking for.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Ralph sorry that we benched Flutie? I don't buy that remorse, after the fact.

That's not even close to a fair comparison.

The Flutie move was in the middle of a playoff season.

This was about the $30.5 mill and makes even more sense now that we hear Tyrod was actually injured. Who knows, he might have furthered the injury if he'd played. And we weren't in playoff contention.

I bet they'd take Siemian or Lynch's future over Tyrod's.

They came after Tyrod before Siemian or Lynch were on the roster.

I'd trade in an instant if Denver came calling, but I think that if they did pick up the phone, it wouldn't be Tyrod they'd be asking for.

Not to mention they courted Tyrod, not to start as Manning was the starter, but to be backup. So who cares that Denver wanted Tyrod a couple years ago.

Can we spare Chris Fischetti in the purge? Maybe Kathryn Smith too? What have they done to incur your ire? Seriously, there are some folks there who are no doubt doing a good job. I think heads need to roll at the top and the 2nd level, not necessarily the rest of the staff.

If you are going to purge, then purge. Go big or go home. Nothing says those two and some others couldn't apply for their old jobs with the new regime. Anyone new would probably want to keep a fair amount of low level people who knew how the day to day operations worked anyway.

Like I said before, it is simple:

Do you like the decision? Then Whaley was responsible.

Do you not like the decision? Then Whaley had nothing to do with it.

Since people are all up in arms about Taylor being benched, it was the owner. Whaley was probably just as shocked as you were to hear they were benching Taylor!

BTW Russ Brandon has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING, so remember that when it all falls apart and you want people fired. That much was (conveniently) made clear.

Edited by TheFunPolice

The whole thing was handled so poorly.

Tyrod was injured. This was proven true by the fact that he had surgery immediately after the season ended.

All they needed to do was say that Tyrod was being held out of the final, meaningless game to avoid any further injury.

They just cannot seem to handle anything like a professional, competent organization.

It's always wild swings from one thing to the next.

Some want to blame the media, but the results speak for themselves. The story changes on an almost daily basis about who is responsible for what.

I'm still at a loss how Lynn/Taylor don't understand why the decision was made. Also confused as to why the media made so much drama out of it all.

In terms of Lynn and all the other HC candidates out there now, I'm sure they understand why the decision was made. They also know that the decision was taken out of the HC's hands, twice, not by the GM but by the owner. The GM said so publicly at a press conference. What HC candidate wants to go to a team with (more than likely) no viable QB, the FO is a dumpster fire, and has meddling owners if there are other choices? I am at a loss as to why that is hard to understand.

TheFunPolice, on 09 Jan 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

But now the owners are remorseful that they made a supposedly solid business decision?

Yeah, I don't understand that either :lol:

In terms of Lynn and all the other HC candidates out there now, I'm sure they understand why the decision was made. They also know that the decision was taken out of the HC's hands, twice, not by the GM but by the owner. The GM said so publicly at a press conference. What HC candidate wants to go to a team with (more than likely) no viable QB, the FO is a dumpster fire, and has meddling owners if there are other choices? I am at a loss as to why that is hard to understand.

Because everything you say is hyperbole, and anyone with an ounce of logic in their skull wouldn't be so worked up over it?

Edited by Dorkington

I'm still at a loss how Lynn/Taylor don't understand why the decision was made. Also confused as to why the media made so much drama out of it all.

Can't speak for Lynn, Tyrod understands the wide array of impacts the move had though. He just wishes it was communicated better.

But now the owners are remorseful that they made a supposedly solid business decision?

I don't think they are remorseful of the decision, so much as the repercussions it may have had on Lynn. As others pointed out earlier in the thread, the Pegulas seem like decent people and I think they would feel bad if they thought one of their decisions had a negative impact on their employee's career opportunities.

Because everything you say is hyperbole, and anyone with an ounce of logic in their skull wouldn't be so worked up over it?

If you say so, the Bills are a wonderful landing spot and all the candidates will surely be fighting for that prize. One Bills drive is nothing but unicorns and rainbows. There is the hyperbole you were looking for. :)

Can't speak for Lynn, Tyrod understands the wide array of impacts the move had though. He just wishes it was communicated better.

I don't think they are remorseful of the decision, so much as the repercussions it may have had on Lynn. As others pointed out earlier in the thread, the Pegulas seem like decent people and I think they would feel bad if they thought one of their decisions had a negative impact on their employee's career opportunities.

Could be. I have a hard time believing that the team is this clueless or that communication is apparently non-existent between members of management.

On the subject of Lynn, If they are going to hire him anyway I guess it didn't hurt him much.

If you say so, the Bills are a wonderful landing spot and all the candidates will surely be fighting for that prize. One Bills drive is nothing but unicorns and rainbows. There is the hyperbole you were looking for. :)

Ah yes, only one extreme or the other.

The whole thing was handled so poorly.

Tyrod was injured. This was proven true by the fact that he had surgery immediately after the season ended.

All they needed to do was say that Tyrod was being held out of the final, meaningless game to avoid any further injury.

I disagree with the uninformed pundits and fans who declare the Bills 'dysfunctional' and the Pegulas 'clueless.'

But Scott Berchtold, Senior VP of Communications, certainly hasn't been earning his paycheck recently.

The benching of TT was not well communicated. Whaley was imbalanced by questions over Rex's firing and provided inelegant answers - he should have been far better prepared. ALynn's could have been better prepared for his presser as well. I don't know what's going on behind closed doors but certainly we've been losing the PR war lately.

Winning that game does nothing to help the team, but there were several things that could help the team by benching him. So benching him was absolutely the right decision. He had a groin injury. They needed to evaluate EJ. The game was essentially a preseason game. The only reason to play him is if he was within reach of meeting some performance-based bonus. If Lynn or Tyrod can't understand that, then i'm not sure what it says about them.

I agree...I never understood how not playing Tyrod in a meaningless season finale, automatically translated into the Bills being done with Tyrod. There are so many reasons not playing him, made sense.

Edited by Buftex

I disagree with the uninformed pundits and fans who declare the Bills 'dysfunctional' and the Pegulas 'clueless.'

But Scott Berchtold, Senior VP of Communications, certainly hasn't been earning his paycheck recently.

The benching of TT was not well communicated. Whaley was imbalanced by questions over Rex's firing and provided inelegant answers - he should have been far better prepared. ALynn's could have been better prepared for his presser as well. I don't know what's going on behind closed doors but certainly we've been losing the PR war lately.

I agree with all that. It's been a big fall off since Rex was winning all the press conferences. I'd rather win games, so let's see how it goes.

If I was a conspiracy theorist and I bought into the rumors of dysfunction and infighting in the front office at OBD I would say that Scott Berchtold (who as a PR/Business guy probably reports to Russ) is making sure that:

A) Everybody knows that Russ Brandon is in no way responsible for whatever happens

B) He does nothing to get in the way of Whaley's blunders

Passively undermining other people happens all the time in organizations. That way, if/when it all comes crashing down Russ takes none of the blame from fans, the media or ownership. He might even stand to have greater say afterward if Pegula cleans house (who would be left to help find the GM in that case?)

As office politics go that scenario is pretty benign.

Edited by TheFunPolice