Things That Will Make Some Sick, But Will Happen

H2o

1. Our new coach is going to be Sean McDermott. A lot of people will be pissed, but he is going to be hired in the end. The talk will be about his Jim Johnson style of 4-3 defense and look what the Carolina teams achieved on that side of the ball.

2. Tyrod Taylor is gone. They are not bringing him back in hopes of achieving a mediocre record. They are done. They have seen enough in two years to know what he is. They will not even keep him as a bridge QB for the next guy. All of the people that have suddenly hopped the Taylor bandwagon will be up in arms.

3. Stephon Gilmore is done in Buffalo. He will command too much money and they will not want to commit the Franchise Tag to him because they feel he's not worth it. Can we all just admit he took the season off in a way trying to not get injured? I think his payday comes from somewhere else. Don't be surprised if he lands in Miami.

4. Jay Cutler will be brought in on a cheaper 1 to 2 year deal paying him between 10-12 million per season. He will be our starter next year(pissing A LOT of people off :thumbsup: ) and the bridge to our future QB whether that be Cardale or another draft pick.

5. FA will be a downer this year for most with us not going after ANY of the top tier FA's again. No Alshon Jeffery or anyone like that. We will pick from the 2nd tier guys again to fill out the depth on the roster.

6. After letting Gilmore walk in FA our 1st Round Pick will be......................... a CB. Some Bills fans will be :wallbash: everywhere.

7. We will not be able to retain Bob Woods or Zach Brown. They will both want to test the waters of FA. Neither will return as they find greener pastures elsewhere. I don't think Lorax is back either.

8. The team we field next season will be worse than this past season's team. Billspolar fans everywhere will be clamoring about this and that, talking of how we should have done things that they had previously been on the other side of the fence about. Blow it up, fire everyone, fingers pointing all around, 2017 is going to be entertaining for all of the wrong reasons.

After next season 18 and counting :beer:

Edited by H2o

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your list is interesting. First, nothing on the list is out of the question, each item could happen. That being said, I do think its going to be a stretch to think all of those happen.

1. Not sure why everyone would hate this because he has fielded a pretty good defense in Carolina until he lost key players. I see him as a legit HC candidate.

2. While this is a possibility, I seriously doubt it happens for 2 reasons. Any new HC coming in isnt going to want to take over a team with no QB what so ever. Taylor may not be the best QB in the league, but he is better than many other starters out there and a HC may want to see what he can do with him before abandoning him. I mean, he has less than 2 years of started games under his belt, and was forced to play for 2 different OC's in 2 seasons and played half his games without his top receiving weapons, and the half they did play they mostly played hurt. Secondly, week 17 showed the difference of this team with and without him, I think it was a sobering reality to our FO and any in bound coach. I think we renegotiate his contract or bite the bullet and pay the extension personally because it can, AND WILL, get a lot worse without him and this team can win next year with a new coach, healthy roster, and a couple FA and draft pieces added.

3. I think this is a coin flip right now. Gilmore is frequently being seen as the 4th best corner available in FA this year after his season he put up. I think his cost may be a bit more palatable now and its possible he could be back if the incoming HC sees him as a need to keep in his new D.

4. I wont say impossible, but lord help us if this happens as this board will implode lol. I don't think it will, like I said I expect to keep Taylor.

5. I don't know that we will land any big FA's, but Whaley has been great at finding value in FA and I would expect more of the same at the least.

6. Could be, and even if we keep Gilmore I wouldn't rule out DB at 10 as our secondary was atrocious this year. Safety is very deep in this draft, so we could easily address in 2nd assuming we didn't address it already in FA.

7. I disagreee...Whaley has proven very good at keeping our own FA's he wanted to keep. I honestly would prefer would let Woods go and sign a FA WR and also draft one. I think Brown is back though unless someone grossly over pays which I doubt given how bad our D was, even with his high tackle numbers.

8. If we blow it up, or course it will be. I just can't see the Pegs and Whaley blowing up what they feel (and rightfully so) is a roster very close to the playoffs. We are staring down the barrel of 20 missed years if we blow it up and rebuild the next couple seasons, and we will need to HIT immediately on a franchise QB to be able to realistically make the playoffs in a rebuild 2 to 3 years down the road. So that is another reason I think we certainly keep Taylor, even on his extension which is still a fair price to pay for Taylor compared to what other QB's who are worse that make more money than him.

Two things... no way the Bills will bring in Cutler...and didn't I hear the same day as Whaley's PC (or maybe I am imagining it) that the Bills and Lorax were already working on a new deal?

Yup, they are already in talks...he isnt going anywhere...we gave him the chance and he wants to stay too.

I'm fine with being worse next season. As long as it is a lot worse! Maybe we'll have a shot at Darnold.

Interesting on Darnold...USC's defensive coordinator wanted to make him a LB. Reminds me of another Bills QB who was a LB at one time.

If they DO blow it up, they should trade Shady. He's still a stellar RB but won't be for more than a couple more years. It would be fairer to him to let him play for a contender for the rest of his career.

I'll miss him but if all those changes happen, he'll be the only threat the Bills have, and even he can't run when the D is sold out on stopping him.

That said, I don't think all those changes are coming. I think TT stays. I think Gilmore walks. No sense in franchising him if he's going to play pansy ball next year like he did this year, so he doesn't get hurt before his big FA payday somewhere else. Woods will be a minor loss, on a par with the loss of Hogan. I'm more worried about Kyle Williams retiring out of disgust and hopelessness that he'll ever reach the playoffs here. If he sees a reasonable shot for the Bills to make it (meaning TT is retained) I hope he'll stay. I think if we lose TT, we lose KW at the same time.

In order for the team to succeed under Whaley, as this is his final shot, the Bills are going to need to acquire a good QB somehow. The first option would be to trade for a aging veteran, such as Brees or Rivers. This option most likely would cost the Bills at least two 1st round draft picks, as well as other picks (maybe players on the roster as well). Second option would be to wait and see if Romo becomes a FA and go after him. Third option would be to trade for a team's backup that Whaley feels could turn into a good starter (something John Butler failed at with Rob Johnson). This option would cost a high draft pick and maybe more. The fourth option is through the draft. Failure to get a good QB will result in Whaley getting fired over the next year or two and possibly his hand picked HC. At that time, I suspect the Pegula's will reach out to either Bill Polian or Tom Coughlin, hire one of those two to oversee football operations and they will tear down the roster and start the rebuild. So, realistically, the playoff drought will extend to 20 years or more before the Bills finally make the playoffs again. Maybe by that time Brady will be retired.

1 - Sean McDermott being the head coach won't make anyone sick. He's put a solid defensive product on the field every year as DC in Carolina.

2 - Some would be happy with this and some would not. Clearly if he's gone, they're rebuilding. If he's not, he has a year of two with hopefully a better defense backing him up.

3 - If Taylor is gone, Gilmore is gone for sure. If not, he may still want too much money. Needless to say, I wouldn't pay top dollar for the services he provided this year.

4 - Just dumb. If the Bears traded him or cut him, they take a $14m cap hit next year. Not going to happen.

5 - FA will probably be a downer this year. It's not a matter of choice though as cap space will be relatively limited. As usual, there will be some low brows out there yelling "cheap" or "Bills aren't trying". That's all pretty stupid because teams are required to spend 97% of the cap at this point. What they don't spend they would pay as a penalty, so there's no incentive to do that.

6 - DB doesn't hurt my feelings at all actually. There's two corners and possibly two safeties (1 FS and 1 SS) that grade out as top ten value.

7 - Woods has been just OK but gets dinged up too easily. Brown I would like to see retained, but not breaking the bank. They will need to add depth to whatever the front seven ends up looking like.

In order for the team to succeed under Whaley, as this is his final shot, the Bills are going to need to acquire a good QB somehow. The first option would be to trade for a aging veteran, such as Brees or Rivers. This option most likely would cost the Bills at least two 1st round draft picks, as well as other picks (maybe players on the roster as well). Second option would be to wait and see if Romo becomes a FA and go after him. Third option would be to trade for a team's backup that Whaley feels could turn into a good starter (something John Butler failed at with Rob Johnson). This option would cost a high draft pick and maybe more. The fourth option is through the draft. Failure to get a good QB will result in Whaley getting fired over the next year or two and possibly his hand picked HC. At that time, I suspect the Pegula's will reach out to either Bill Polian or Tom Coughlin, hire one of those two to oversee football operations and they will tear down the roster and start the rebuild. So, realistically, the playoff drought will extend to 20 years or more before the Bills finally make the playoffs again. Maybe by that time Brady will be retired.

Sounds like you have this all figured out. They should just give up now given all of the wisdom and ability to forecast the future that you possess.