Things That Will Make Some Sick, But Will Happen

H2o

1 - Sean McDermott being the head coach won't make anyone sick. He's put a solid defensive product on the field every year as DC in Carolina.

2 - Some would be happy with this and some would not. Clearly if he's gone, they're rebuilding. If he's not, he has a year of two with hopefully a better defense backing him up.

3 - If Taylor is gone, Gilmore is gone for sure. If not, he may still want too much money. Needless to say, I wouldn't pay top dollar for the services he provided this year.

4 - Just dumb. If the Bears traded him or cut him, they take a $14m cap hit next year. Not going to happen.

5 - FA will probably be a downer this year. It's not a matter of choice though as cap space will be relatively limited. As usual, there will be some low brows out there yelling "cheap" or "Bills aren't trying". That's all pretty stupid because teams are required to spend 97% of the cap at this point. What they don't spend they would pay as a penalty, so there's no incentive to do that.

6 - DB doesn't hurt my feelings at all actually. There's two corners and possibly two safeties (1 FS and 1 SS) that grade out as top ten value.

7 - Woods has been just OK but gets dinged up too easily. Brown I would like to see retained, but not breaking the bank. They will need to add depth to whatever the front seven ends up looking like.

cutler has a dead money cap hit of 2 mil should they cut him next year. so he's def getting get. they save 14 mil in space.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As crazy as this may sound, I'm just going to trust Doug.

None of the candidates particularly excite me. They all have blemishes or concerns on their resumes.

Then again, sometimes guys with blemished resumes become successful head coaches.

Whaley will do his due diligence, He'll learn far more about each candidate than we can possibly know. Hopefully, he'll make the right decision.

Next year's W-L record and on field performance will tell us if Doug got the right guy.

Edited by hondo in seattle

4 - Just dumb. If the Bears traded him or cut him, they take a $14m cap hit next year. Not going to happen.

On Cutler, I don't see this. Overthecap lists him at $2M in dead cap (salary converted to signing bonus in 2014). The Bears end of the season presser is being interpreted to indicate that Cutler would be traded.

Cutler's PR skills would certainly fit right on on the Bills, but as far as I'm concerned, it would be akin to deciding the Kevin Kolb is a better "bridge" QB than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They're both "meh", but Fitzpatrick is "meh" and tough as nails, while Kolb is the German word for "made of glass".

I would definitely throw up and throw in the towel if the Bills trade for Cutler. Frankly, I'll be surprised if the Bears manage to trade him. The other 31 teams in the league pretty much know he's through in Chicago so why trade when you can wait for the Turk?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Sounds like you have this all figured out. They should just give up now given all of the wisdom and ability to forecast the future that you possess.

If the Bills don't get a good QB and make it to the playoffs within the 20 years, I'll gladly come on here and eat a big bowl of crow. If the Bills do not make it to the playoffs and the streak extends to 20 years, will you do the same?

If the Bills don't get a good QB and make it to the playoffs within the 20 years, I'll gladly come on here and eat a big bowl of crow. If the Bills do not make it to the playoffs and the streak extends to 20 years, will you do the same?

In order for the Bills to contend for a championship on a regular basis they need a consistently good QB. If the goal is to break the 17 year streak, they can certainly accomplish that w/o a good QB as we see teams such as Houston and now Miami do it.

I'm not worried about three years from now as I have no idea as to who'll be in place at that time whether it be in the Front Office, Coaching Staff, or Personnel on the field.

A few things OP

- First.....that was thought out and written....a lost art on this board

- One thing on McDermott....and I am not calling TT Cam Newton but the fact is both of them are Mobile qbs....one certainly larger then the other but still. There is a chance that McDermott would WANT TT.

- We have a top 10 pick....I really think they are gonna parlay that pick into a QB....new coach....new qb. Watson is my guess.

- I dont know whats gonna happen with Gilmore...the fact is he has not lived up to the contract he is getting.

- Z. Brown....faded down the stretch of the season. Ragland in the bullpen.

I have no problem bringing in Cutler as a bridge to the first franchise QB since Kelly retired, but Cutler will make it difficult to pick at the top of the draft and obtain said franchise QB, because he has just enough talent to continue down the road of 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7.

On Cutler, I don't see this. Overthecap lists him at $2M in dead cap (salary converted to signing bonus in 2014). The Bears end of the season presser is being interpreted to indicate that Cutler would be traded.

Cutler's PR skills would certainly fit right on on the Bills, but as far as I'm concerned, it would be akin to deciding the Kevin Kolb is a better "bridge" QB than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They're both "meh", but Fitzpatrick is "meh" and tough as nails, while Kolb is the German word for "made of glass".

I would definitely throw up and throw in the towel if the Bills trade for Cutler. Frankly, I'll be surprised if the Bears manage to trade him. The other 31 teams in the league pretty much know he's through in Chicago so why trade when you can wait for the Turk?

I got my numbers crossed. I still think it's stupid to think that the Bills will pick-up someone else's cast-off yet again. They've done this with 10 different guys in the last 16 years and it hasn't done jack squat. I would bet money that they're either going with Taylor, or are going to draft a QB. Maybe both, but not free agency. It's been a lesson in failure.

1. Our new coach is going to be Sean McDermott. A lot of people will be pissed, but he is going to be hired in the end. The talk will be about his Jim Johnson style of 4-3 defense and look what the Carolina teams achieved on that side of the ball.

2. Tyrod Taylor is gone. They are not bringing him back in hopes of achieving a mediocre record. They are done. They have seen enough in two years to know what he is. They will not even keep him as a bridge QB for the next guy. All of the people that have suddenly hopped the Taylor bandwagon will be up in arms.

3. Stephon Gilmore is done in Buffalo. He will command too much money and they will not want to commit the Franchise Tag to him because they feel he's not worth it. Can we all just admit he took the season off in a way trying to not get injured? I think his payday comes from somewhere else. Don't be surprised if he lands in Miami.

4. Jay Cutler will be brought in on a cheaper 1 to 2 year deal paying him between 10-12 million per season. He will be our starter next year(pissing A LOT of people off :thumbsup: ) and the bridge to our future QB whether that be Cardale or another draft pick.

5. FA will be a downer this year for most with us not going after ANY of the top tier FA's again. No Alshon Jeffery or anyone like that. We will pick from the 2nd tier guys again to fill out the depth on the roster.

6. After letting Gilmore walk in FA our 1st Round Pick will be......................... a CB. Some Bills fans will be :wallbash: everywhere.

7. We will not be able to retain Bob Woods or Zach Brown. They will both want to test the waters of FA. Neither will return as they find greener pastures elsewhere. I don't think Lorax is back either.

8. The team we field next season will be worse than this past season's team. Billspolar fans everywhere will be clamoring about this and that, talking of how we should have done things that they had previously been on the other side of the fence about. Blow it up, fire everyone, fingers pointing all around, 2017 is going to be entertaining for all of the wrong reasons.

After next season 18 and counting :beer:

1) Unless you have some inside knowledge, this is pure speculation. The competition for a qualified HC this offseason is pretty huge. There are a lot of HC vacancies.

2) I keep hearing that this "decision is already made," but I am skeptical. At the end of the day, we may very likely have no better option.

3) I'm not so sure that Gilmore's value is as high as he thinks it is. I agree with a previous poster that this is a coin flip. Be that as it may, I will indeed feel sick if he lands in Miami.

4) Jay Cutler???

5) By this yardstick, we could say that last year was a downer for FA, but it wasn't.

6) Despite his "sophomore slump," Darby is, IMO, a solid #1 corner. Kevon Seymour as our #2? FA pick-up? Or maybe it is our #1 pick. I wouldn't be too upset by any of this.

7) Let Woods go. Too many dropped balls, and not enough production. I've never understood the love for him. I've always thought he was mediocre. But, keep Zach.

8) This is probably true, but there is just way too much that can happen. I'll be hopeful until I'm not.

I'm fine with being worse next season. As long as it is a lot worse! Maybe we'll have a shot at Darnold.

Interesting on Darnold...USC's defensive coordinator wanted to make him a LB. Reminds me of another Bills QB who was a LB at one time.

Guy has one friggin good game and we're supposed to tank a whole season for him? Marinovich much?

None of the candidates particularly excite me. They all have blemishes or concerns on their resumes.

Then again, sometimes guys with blemished resumes become successful head coaches.

Whaley will do his due diligence, He'll learn far more about each candidate than we can possibly know. Hopefully, he'll make the right decision.

Next year's W-L record and on field performance will tell us if Doug got the right guy.

Your the kind of fan Russ Brandon loves.

In order for the Bills to contend for a championship on a regular basis they need a consistently good QB. If the goal is to break the 17 year streak, they can certainly accomplish that w/o a good QB as we see teams such as Houston and now Miami do it.

I'm not worried about three years from now as I have no idea as to who'll be in place at that time whether it be in the Front Office, Coaching Staff, or Personnel on the field.

Wrong. The last two years with Drew Bledsoe, the Bills had the #2 ranked defense and finished 6-10 and 9-7. In 2014, the Bills had the #4 ranked defense and finished 9-7 with Manuel and Orton.

As the old saying goes "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." The Bills have not had a consistently good QB throughout this draft. When are the people at One Bills Drive going to learn that it takes a consistently good QB to win in the NFL?

So I take it you refuse to eat a bowl of crow if the Bills make it to 20 years with no playoffs? I don't have to be Nostradamus to know if the Bills keep going with sub-par/mediocre QB's that they will continue to miss the playoffs, especially with Tom Brady in the division.

I have a gut feeling it is going to be the Arizona guy and that he will be good.

Guy has one friggin good game and we're supposed to tank a whole season for him? Marinovich much?

For reals...almost everyone drooling over him only saw him play the Rose Bowl. The very same game where "Elite" Prospects like Leinart and Young once had great games and look how they turned out.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about the kid and his arrow is pointing up. But, Cardale was being talked about as a first round guy if we would have come out after winning the National Championship and look what happened the next year, couldn't even win the starting job. Jake Locker could have been a top 5 pick, even the top pick as people were drooling over him had he come out a year earlier...went back for one year and his stock dropped. Same with Brian Brohm, Leinart, and ton of other guys.

This suck for this kid strategy suggestion going on around here is ridiculous, lets see what the kid does next year when all the spotlight is on him and pressure is on as USC opens up as a highly ranked team with lofty expectations before we annoit him to a throne.

Final note: If the kid continues to shine, then we will have to suck the MOST to get him, cuz in that case he would be the #1 pick in the draft. And we don't know if he is coming out, so we may need to focus on being the worst team in the NFL for multiple seasons to get him if he doesnt come out next year. With our roster, its going to be tough to be so bad that we have the #1 pick in the draft

You haven't watch USC much this year have you?

I know they have had a million flops. Why not just trade a 6th for Matt Barkley and save time?

And tanking for QBs rarely works. See: The third place finishers in the worst division in the history of football....and don't look now, Jax in right on their heels.

I have no problem bringing in Cutler as a bridge to the first franchise QB since Kelly retired, but Cutler will make it difficult to pick at the top of the draft and obtain said franchise QB, because he has just enough talent to continue down the road of 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7.

I do, actually. At this point IMO Cutler is a broken bridge.

Wrong. The last two years with Drew Bledsoe, the Bills had the #2 ranked defense and finished 6-10 and 9-7. In 2014, the Bills had the #4 ranked defense and finished 9-7 with Manuel and Orton.

As the old saying goes "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." The Bills have not had a consistently good QB throughout this draft. When are the people at One Bills Drive going to learn that it takes a consistently good QB to win in the NFL?

So I take it you refuse to eat a bowl of crow if the Bills make it to 20 years with no playoffs? I don't have to be Nostradamus to know if the Bills keep going with sub-par/mediocre QB's that they will continue to miss the playoffs, especially with Tom Brady in the division.

I'm not making any meaningless eating crow bet based upon future events that I have no control over. I'll let you engage in such exercises if that's fun for you. You seem to know what they're thinking at OBD as if the plan is to remain stagnant when it's clear to me they know very well that they need to improve at QB. What I don't want to see is people like you bitching if they overdraft a QB that they see as a potential franchise guy, like Watson at 10 for example, if it doesn't work out.