Please be honest: is this the curse of Doug Flutie?

Regardless of his shortcomings (no-pun intended) are we suffering through this drought, which primarily comes down to QB play (along with questionable coaching and administrative moves) because almost two decades ago we kicked Flutie to the curb after a 22-10* record (including playoffs) and two playoff appearances?

(* I believe he actually had only 31 starts, but in one of the victories listed above he was 23-28 and I am essentially giving him credit as the winner/starter.)

Are the football gods teaching us a ruthless lesson based upon our cavalier attitude towards our quarterback at the turn of the millennium?

I know it has been talked about before, but WTH, we have 8 months until the opening kickoff.

Additionally, put me in the category of those who took Flutie for granted.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

no Flutie/Johnson debate please

Flutie was always a good QB, but when he played many games in a row his weak arm tired...(a lot of throws to be made in practice)

He could never be the number 1 but we did not need to kicked him aside except for his own short man Napoleon complex

Regardless of his shortcomings (no-pun intended) are we suffering through this drought, which primarily comes down to QB play (along with questionable coaching and administrative moves) because almost two decades ago we kicked Flutie to the curb after a 22-10* record (including playoffs) and two playoff appearances?

(* I believe he actually had only 31 starts, but in one of the victories listed above he was 23-28 and I am essentially giving him credit as the winner/starter.)

Are the football gods teaching us a ruthless lesson based upon our cavalier attitude towards our quarterback at the turn of the millennium?

I know it has been talked about before, but WTH, we have 8 months until the opening kickoff.

Yes. Curses are real. Now if you'll excuse me I need to consult my monkey's paw.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I love Flutie, I was a teenager when he threw that Hail Mary against Miami for the win. He had that "it" factor for winning. (College,CFL, and somewhat even in the NFL).

That said Flutie isn't the type wish Ill on the Bills, after all that's when Flutie flakes took off lol..

Evidence points to yes, in fact, this is he curse of Flutie. It's like the curse of the Bambino, it'll be like another 80 years before the Bills get into the playoffs

No. It's the curse of Leon Czolgosz.

Evidence points to yes, in fact, this is he curse of Flutie. It's like the curse of the Bambino, it'll be like another 80 years before the Bills get into the playoffs

And 80 years from now, our grandchildren will be right here bitching about the QB play and pining for the days of Jim Kelly.

And I'll probably have hit my millionth post.

What happened to break the "Curse of Babe Ruth" or the "Billy Goat Curse"?

Talented personnel guys (or guy) made excellent decisions and built the correct culture to win. Until that happens, you can call it a curse if you want, but it doesn't matter what you call it the result will be the same.

BTW, and if I am actually going to speak seriously here about a "curse", I am not chalking everything up to the "Home Run Throwback" game decision and I am not saying that if Flutie starts all of 2000 that we go to the playoffs (although...damn, 4-1 in 2000).

...and additionally (and this is embarrassing) I was an RJ guy.

I am just saying along the lines of trading away The Babe, we had a very successful (22-10), albeit limited, starting QB and I would give anything just to go back to the days of a short, weak armed QB and a 10-6 record...and I think we are being punished for our hubris at the time in thinking we could do much better at the position and that we deserved much better.

That's what I mean by the curse of Doug Flutie...that we had pretty good and it wasn't good enough for us and now we are paying for it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

BTW, and if I am actually going to speak seriously here about a "curse", I am not chalking everything up to the "Home Run Throwback" game decision and I am not saying that if Flutie starts all of 2000 that we go to the playoffs (although...damn. 4-1 in 2000).

I am just saying along the lines of trading away The Babe, we had a very successful (22-10), albeit limited, starting QB and I would give anything just to go back the days of a short, weak armed QB and a 10-6 record.

All it takes is a top-5 defense and a top-5 run game.

We've been halfway there for 3 years.

BTW, and if I am actually going to speak seriously here about a "curse", I am not chalking everything up to the "Home Run Throwback" game decision and I am not saying that if Flutie starts all of 2000 that we go to the playoffs (although...damn, 4-1 in 2000).

I am just saying along the lines of trading away The Babe, we had a very successful (22-10), albeit limited, starting QB and I would give anything just to go back to the days of a short, weak armed QB and a 10-6 record...and I think we are being punished for our hubris at the time in thinking we could do much better at the position and that we deserved much better.

He was short, but Flutie had a solid arm. That really wasn't a problem for him. It wasn't a cannon, but it was NFL-good enough.

Yes. Curses are real. Now if you'll excuse me I need to consult my monkey's paw.

You guys laugh, but we had a very serious thread a few years back about the Indian burial ground beneath the Ralph. It's very real. Someone ended up posting a scan of an article in the BN from the 70s about this.

Let me also add this, if there is no curse then regardless of our ineptitude we should have already fallen bass-ackwards into the playoffs at least once in the last 17 years.

My number one example: The expansion Cleveland Browns. Respectfully to our Lake Erie brethren, the worst team in football over this same stretch, and they still got to the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb.