24 years ago today

We had it on from a bootleg feed in Dansville, NY. I was playing street hockey with my son at halftime. He went in the house and came back out quickly saying 'its now 31-3! Should I turn off the VCR?' I said nah, let it run. I guess its our comeuppance for 51-3.. Glad I made that decision. Most watched rerun of any Bills games ever.

I remember being in the stands with fellow TBD brother, Ken for this legendary game when it was not looking good and so glad we stayed to enjoy the comeback.

Charles Osgood did a nice motivational piece on it - Wow thank you Google search:

http://drchet.com/pdf/2010pdf_30_Pound_Club/07-04-2010--Charles_Osgood_Poem.pdf

Let's hope this season is the start of a comeback into contention.

The most incredible day a fan could have. Sat in what was then section D, south corner , scoreboard end. My brother in law left at half time to drink beer in the parking lot. .....hahaha,

Two huge memories

1) how the players on the sidelines were into the game as a TEAM

2) Darryl Talley

Kentucky played baseball that day too. We were at friends with the understanding the Bills game would be on. As it got ugly, the host wanted to watch the UK game. I refused and sent him to his bedroom for basketball. We were NOT changing the channel.

I was in basic training. Guys in my dorm were able to get the score from one of our brother flights (smuggled radio from what I understand). They were teasing me with the score the entire first half. When the Bills came back, I didn't believe them. It wasn't until I graduated a few weeks later that I found out what happened.

Go Bills!

Edited by gflande1

history...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap2000000120942/NFL-s-greatest-comeback-Oilers-vs-Bills

For those of you too young to remember these days, I feel sorry for you...those teams were legendary, and this might have been the best game nobody ever got to watch....it was blacked out...

As I recall, fans were bummed because the Bills got smacked pretty badly against Houston the last week of the season, and that was our opponent again the following week in the Wildcard game...Kelly was out with a knee injury and Thurman was hurt too...fans were feeling down about our chances(see...it doesn't just happen now...Buffalonians seem to have a deep seated comlpex that forces them to always think negatively about our chances, even with multiple HOF players and a HOF coach---sometimes you don't realize what you have until its gone.) and the game was blacked out even after the Bills asked for and were granted an extension. Don't forget however, that was before the stadium capacity was reduced for extra luxury boxes and we had one of the biggest stadiums in the NFL at around 80,000 people.

Bills came out and literally couldn't do anything right in the first half...looked like things were going to continue down the same path as Reich came out and in the first series of the 2nd half threw a pick 6 to Bubba McDowell...Bills were down 35-3...Houston commentators were going crazy and had already booked their tickets to Pittsburgh next week during halftime...big mistake...

What happened next were the things that only happens in fairy tales...Bills seemingly can do nothing wrong...Oilers nothing right...Oilers had been in that spot before and once the tide started turning they had a sense of "Oh ****, not again!" and kept making mistake after mistake. Van Miller was at his Broadcasting Hall of Fame best on that day and I vividly still remember sitting in my room listening long after my Mom had given up...I kept yelling down the scores and she finally came back up and started listening again when I yelled down that "Reed just scored another TD to take the lead!!"...

Game went to OT, on the first possession Moon throws a pick to Nate Odomes, aided by a perfectly timed hold by Darryl Talley on Hayward Jeffires running across the middle that actually pulled him down...a few plays later, Steve Christie kicked the ball through the uprights for one of the mose improbable, stunning and legendary comebacks ever authorwed, keyed by a backup QB and RB and a team that just refused to go away quietly into the night...

Those teams were everything you wanted in a team...relentless...unwavering...confident...refused to give up no matter what the odds...we were truly spoiled by those 5-6 years and I hope everyone gets to feel that again some day...

Edited by matter2003