With the 10th pick, the Buffalo Bills select....

NewEra

In my 1st post, I explain my thinking behind the move, so there is some logic to it. You may not agree, but there is some logic behind doing it. Please don't dismiss my thoughts as nothing.

You're right, bpa is subjective (I said as much in my post) and a matter of opinion. I think you're missing the part about this being what I would do. Not the Bills or you.

If someone grades out as the next Barry Sanders and he falls to you at #10, you take him. Or you're fired. Jmo.

The draft is for more than the next 2 yrs. Most any player drafted won't be a starter week 1 and in a lot of cases, year 1. A safety, cb, wr,ot,etc will have a learning curve also. I stick with my stance, Cook at 10, if he's there. 1 Yr under McCoy, drop McCoy and his contract after next season. Even worse than Cook as a #10 pick is what we're paying McCoy. A vet safety to help, he would probably do better than a rookie in his 1st yr. Just about anyone taken would have a learning curve and where's the value in that? We reached for Lawson and it sounds like you all want to reach on a player because he's a need. I'll say it again BPA. And if it shakes out the way I think, Dalvin is the pick (imo), unless Watson falls to us.

Williams was a 5th round pick for a reason and MG is a backup for a reason.

I couldn't disagree more...but thats just my opinion.

1. There have been tons of the next "Barry Sanders", "Michael Jordan's" etc and most never come close to that level. You don't gamble on a RB at #10 on this roster right now period. McCoy is already one of the best RB's in all of football and we have a guy behind him that has impressed when he had the opportunities.

2. Rookies contribute all over a roster every single year, in fact, just about every player taken in the top 10 will be starting unless they are a QB on a team with a vet slotted for them to learn from. A top 10 rookie will be expected to contribute out the gate and should contribute.

3. This team is close...there is ONLY one objective this year, and its been the same for the last 17 years...and that is make the playoffs. A top 10 pick who is going to sit behind one of the best players in the NFL at his position is not going to help us make the playoffs this year.

Im sorry but there is not a chance that we will take a RB at 10...not one. And if we do, I would expect Whaley to be fired almost immediately because the Pegulas want to make the playoffs now, not in 2 or 3 years.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't accept the notion that a qb shouldn't be taken with a high round pick (first or second) because this is a week qb class. Getting a stud safety or corner to replace Gilmore if he is not re-signed is not going to markedly improve this team.

It appears that Whaley is not enamored with TT. Even if he returns as a bridge qb this team still needs to secure a franchise qb to become a serious team. There is no doubt that Whaley feels the pressure to get over the generational hump and get into the playoffs soon. But getting a talented prospect on board, even if it is to be groomed down the line, is still the right approach to take.

It seems that this franchise continuously repeats the self-destructive cycle of avoiding going after a high end qb draft prospect and satisfies itself with second rate market qb pickups. Looking back Gilmore was certainly a top ten talent in his draft and he has played up to his talent (for the most part) but he was far from being a difference maker because his position didn't come close to being consequential compared to the qb position.

As I stated in prior posts Whaley was very aggressive in securing a top five player in Watkins, a receiver. He would have been far better off being aggressive in securing a Derek Carr caliber of qb who was available instead of taking the more highly rated player on the board such as Watkins. As it turns out as good as Watkins is his talents are being squandered because the person taking the snaps can't utilize him to the extent that his talent merits.

I wish more people agreed with this logic because it's dead on.

They just spent their top 3 picks on defense last draft.

One didn't play at all, one missed training camp and some early games. Let these guys develop. I think some of the problem with the defense was coaching and scheme. Get a couple free agent Safeties (or a 2nd rounder, if you must).

The pass offense was the worst in the NFL, and the high rushing ranking is a little deceptive because lots of it was Tyrod. I want OFFENSE.

The offense scored lots of points, but watching the games, it rarely felt right, and was never reliable enough to score when they needed it at the end of tight games. It needs improvement. Look at what Oakland has done with their big wide-outs. I would love Mike Williams.

A WR, or at least another Olineman, would help a QB, be it Tyrod, or whoever else. The Dallas offense (great Oline) should be the model they follow. Until a QB falls into their lap, they need to have everything in place to help a QB succeed. It would also make it a much more desirable place for any free agent QB the Bills might eventually have a chance to sign.

It's hard to get a feel without knowing who the coaches will be, but I want offense.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

I take Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker if either one is there, if not then I trade back to the bottom of the 1st round and pick up an extra second rounder. I then draft Buddha Baker and Pat Mahomes

Not a bad idea. Baker and Maholmes would be nice in rd 2 for sure. Not sure if maholmes will be available after the 10th pick in the 2nd though. Could go late first.

If it's true that we are signing Sean McDermott as our HC, the drafting of Reuben Foster, if he's available, seems more likely than ever imo. His scheme calls for beast LBs that are great vs the run AND can cover. Right now we have 1 LB that (we hope) can stop the run in Ragland. Preston brown doesn't do much well. Zach is a FA and would certainly fit the system, but might be too pricey as a 2nd team all pro. Foster seems like the perfect fit for mcdermotts D. Beast vs the run, fast and can cover. While we may be selecting a QB with our first pick, if the FO doesn't think one is worth it, i thoroughly expect foster to be the pick (if he's available). I could see a similar situation as 2007 when Patrick Willis was taken 1 pick before us. The bengals could certainly use him and pick 9

I wish more people agreed with this logic because it's dead on.

Yep . The Bills have simply not thrown enoughdartsat the board when it comes to the QB position. Not every year is a "good" year for QBs , but there is almost always someone that emerges to have success. These picks are so hit and miss, taking more shots would increase your chances of hitting on one. The Bills have often chosen not to swing, rather than miss. As Gretzky said " you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" . It's time the Bills FO changed their thinking and got out of the QB wilderness.

If it's true that we are signing Sean McDermott as our HC, the drafting of Reuben Foster, if he's available, seems more likely than ever imo. His scheme calls for beast LBs that are great vs the run AND can cover. Right now we have 1 LB that (we hope) can stop the run in Ragland. Preston brown doesn't do much well. Zach is a FA and would certainly fit the system, but might be too pricey as a 2nd team all pro. Foster seems like the perfect fit for mcdermotts D. Beast vs the run, fast and can cover. While we may be selecting a QB with our first pick, if the FO doesn't think one is worth it, i thoroughly expect foster to be the pick (if he's available). I could see a similar situation as 2007 when Patrick Willis was taken 1 pick before us. The bengals could certainly use him and pick 9

Well...Reuben Foster is an absolute beast...I really don't have anything negative to say about that kid...And if the 1st 9 teams are dumb enough to let him slide I'd definitely have no problem with taking him at #10... B-)

Well...Reuben Foster is an absolute beast...I really don't have anything negative to say about that kid...And if the 1st 9 teams are dumb enough to let him slide I'd definitely have no problem with taking him at #10... B-)

While I pretty much agree with you here, I would add that the only issue is that if we keep our FA's and with Rags back, LB is not only not a need, is probably the deepest on the team. Like you, I wouldn't have a problem taking Foster, he is a beast. But if Corey Davis or Mike Williams is there, that is my pick. I would also say that the top Safety or DB on the board would likely have a bigger impact on this team then adding another LB, especially if we don't keep Gilmore. But I also do not see Foster getting to us, he will go somewhere between 5-9 IMO and could go as high as the Bears at 3 if they don't go QB.

But again, wouldn't be mad at the pick at all...just think we will be set at LB if we bring our guys back which the FO has said they want to do along with Rags being healthy to add to the unit.

Edited by Alphadawg7

While I pretty much agree with you here, I would add that the only issue is that if we keep our FA's and with Rags back, LB is not only not a need, is probably the deepest on the team. Like you, I wouldn't have a problem taking Foster, he is a beast. But if Corey Davis or Mike Williams is there, that is my pick. I would also say that the top Safety or DB on the board would likely have a bigger impact on this team then adding another LB, especially if we don't keep Gilmore. But I also do not see Foster getting to us, he will go somewhere between 5-9 IMO and could go as high as the Bears at 3 if they don't go QB.

But again, wouldn't be mad at the pick at all...just think we will be set at LB if we bring our guys back which the FO has said they want to do along with Rags being healthy to add to the unit.

Lb is the deepest? We have Ragland, who we have no idea if he's any good. He's never played a snap and is coming off major knee surgery. We Preston Brown, who absolutely sucks. Maybe it was Ryan's scheme. Maybe he absolutely sucks. After watching him the last 2 years I go by the "what have you done for me lately" motto. What has he done? He's absolutely sucked. Zach is gonna cost a pretty penny and while I really like him......he sucked too for the last 7-8 games. Not sure what happened but he looked like a completely different player in the second half after being a playmaker the first 5/6 weeks. Sure he had tackles, but poz makes a lot of tackles too. Doesn't mean they're impact tackles. I do believe he fits well in this scheme, but I also believe he's gonna cost 6-8 mill a year. After watching him the last half of the season, I don't know if he's worth it. Watching Reuben Foster play this season, I turkey believe he's going to be a stud. Fast, beastly, impact player that this scheme needs. He flies and smacks and makes big plays.

I agree, we need quality WRs. Our cupboard is bare minus Sammy. Considering how this team is built, on a running game and defense, I think we can get a compliment to Sammy in rd 2 or 3 and in FA. If we draft a WR in rd 1, that's 2 stud WRs we have that will be blocking most of the game. Whether it's TT or someone else, our QB is likely to be an average to below average passer. We're gonna Pound the rock and depend on McCoy and Gillislee to move the chains. Meanwhile, we'll need a defense that doesn't do what our defense has done the last 2 years. Suck. Where as you say Lb is our deepest position, I disagree. Even if we sign zach, we have 1 good Lb (zach), 1 rookie unknown (Ragland) and one sucky LB ((Preston). Carolinas defense had very good to great LBs. this defense does not

Deshaun, DeShone, Mitch - whichever tests out the best with the coaches and what we want to do in the pre-draft process. Hoping for Deshaun.

Could be. Get a QB if they love him (and cut TT) or build the defense (if they keep TT). Thing about QB is, there are 3 guys projected in the 1st rd at the moment. The browns need a QB. the niners need a QB. the bears might move on from cutler, meaning they need a QB. The jets need a QB. Marrone has to decide if bortles is his guy, if not, they need a QB. I doubt SD is thinking too far in the future, but they could draft rivers replacement (very doubtful). That's 3 qbs (one of which I PRAY we don't draft in Kizer) and a bunch of teams that may decide to draft one. Definitely a chance they're all gone by 10