Bills will consider Teryl Austin, Reich, Harold Goodwin

YoloinOhio

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he will get interviews. He has been interim coach for 4 days and playing with backup QBs. Unless the teams think he's bringing EJ, Dennis Thurman and Danny Crossman along I'm pretty sure they will still have interest if they did before.

My concern is that the team back-slid considerably in that one game audition. If you can blame all of that on Manuel, then MAYBE ok, but that was about as ugly a game as I can remember since I started paying attention in about 1969.

Bills showed their hand at QB today.

Expect some interviews declined.

People don't want Tyrod as a bridge QB for $5M more per than he's worth but without him the next coach and the roster in general is a bridge to a complete overhaul without him.

Basically next HC will be a grenade lid.

Probably a bit PR but i know at least two people that say it is pretty attractive and not close to being what the media make it out to be

I believe that. It's Bills fan syndrome to devalue everything about the team relative to rest of NFL. It's a defense mechanism I guess

I would really like to see them add Dave Toub, KC ST coordinator, to the coach search list.

Not to judge ALynn on one game, but frankly, I'm very concerned that despite best intentions, hiring ALynn as HC/OC with Gus Bradley as DC would be attempting to change things by keeping them the same.

I am also deeply concerned about La Canfora's continued reporting, this time for CBS news so he can't hide it as a 'personal tweet'

- that ALynn is the only serious contender for Bills head coach: "Pegula has been committed to continuity on his staff, even in the face of the inevitable firing of Ryan and his brother, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan -- a very divisive figure in that organization -- and keeping Lynn as coach beyond this game achieves that goal." ""Don't be fooled by any of the other interviews," one well-placed Bills source said. "It's Anthony Lynn."

-as an aside, one wonders how ditching Tyrod and going with Cardale Jones as La Canfora asserts, fits that continuity thing?

Gus Bradley was reportedly such an uninspiring, un-driven coach that the Jaguars are hailing Marrone as a savior and Bradley's D with the Jaguars has sucked for 4 long years, which leaves me uninspired about him as DC

That special teams debacle in the Jets game was, well, Special and doesn't speak well for the team's reaction to ALynn as HC

Probably a bit PR but i know at least two people that say it is pretty attractive and not close to being what the media make it out to be

Any potential NFL HC who doesn't realize he needs to ignore the media, investigate the stable and count the legs on the horses for himself is not gonna succeed.

It would be harder if Rex had a well-coached, well-prepared team, fought hard in every game but had some calls/plays go against them and finished 8-8 again, then got his a** canned after 2 years despite various adversities (injuries to key players, top-2 draft picks this past year etc. But Rex put his gaffes out there on film for all to see.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

People don't want Tyrod as a bridge QB for $5M more per than he's worth but without him the next coach and the roster in general is a bridge to a complete overhaul without him.

The problem isn't the worth of Tyrod's contract per se. He's basically being paid something like a #17-20 QB which is probably what he is, maybe a bit higher when you look at the running and throwing contribution together (see for example CHFF "real QB rating" which does just that)

The problem is that it locks them into Tyrod for essentially 3 years before they could cut him without taking a harsh cap hit.

I agree that the Bills showed what's there at QB behind Tyrod (nothing really) today, but I don't expect to see that result in declined interviews. Any HC candidate who relies on press reports for his information on a team's plans really doesn't belong in the business.

Of more concern is whether it's true that the Bills coaching search outside the building will be "pro forma." No one wants to prepare for a HC interview that isn't "for real" with a genuine opportunity for them to win the job.

Joe Chenelly ‏@jchenelly 2m2 minutes ago

Yes, it may be PR, but #Bills say they are not having any shortage of interest from highly qualified coaches. Primed to win w/next coach.

It is basically a 7 to 9 win team as it stands. I could see a lot of guys loving the potential; better than a total rebuild. Someone can win here next year.

Imagine the fantastic assemblage of assistant coaches a nobody like Lynn would attract!

I was concerned about that, myself. It was clearly Chan Gailey's achilles heel as a HC.

Lynn has coached with a bunch of teams. If he's truly well thought of, he may not have as much trouble as one thinks, but I agree, it's a concern, especially if he would do something like bring in Gus Bradley (and perhaps Bradley's markedly unsuccessful minions from Jacksonville) on D, and leave the offensive assistants and ST assistants largely intact.

It is basically a 7 to 9 win team as it stands. I could see a lot of guys loving the potential; better than a total rebuild. Someone can win here next year.

TBH, I think a total rebuild may be a better gig for a HC. If the team is drafting high, better chance to restock the cupboard and also, tempered expectations the next year.

Rex Ryan's conundrum was with a #4 D and a 9-7 record the previous year, expectations for improvement were high and "more of the same" not acceptable.

A rare time I disagree with you.

I believe the Pegulas want to hire a coach for the long term. I believe they thought Rex would be their coach for many, many years. I think they were shocked at what they saw once he was there. I think they evaluated Rex beyond his record and looked at the general disorganization of the team, egged on by Whaleys narrative and decided to pull the cord early.

Give them a coach who didn't field 10 players in OT and a generally well run team and I think they will stick for a while.

I was concerned about that, myself. It was clearly Chan Gailey's achilles heel as a HC.

Lynn has coached with a bunch of teams. If he's truly well thought of, he may not have as much trouble as one thinks, but I agree, it's a concern, especially if he would do something like bring in Gus Bradley (and perhaps Bradley's markedly unsuccessful minions from Jacksonville) on D, and leave the offensive assistants and ST assistants largely intact.

TBH, I think a total rebuild may be a better gig for a HC. If the team is drafting high, better chance to restock the cupboard and also, tempered expectations the next year.

Rex Ryan's conundrum was with a #4 D and a 9-7 record the previous year, expectations for improvement were high and "more of the same" not acceptable.

I'm not sure you could be more depressing, but keep at it.

The problem with a suboptimal hire like Lynn is that "you have to give the new guy time" so we'll be stuck for 3 seasons.

After all, continuity.

OR Pegula will fire him ANd Whaley next November, repeating the same mistake he made with the Sabres firing Ruff but keeping the GM and letting that GM hire another coach.